GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

AC Pulley / Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/10, 03:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Pulley / Crank Pulley

I have removed both the crank and the ac pulley in order to put the 8 rib pulley kit on. Now putting them on is another story...does anyone have any insight on how to put an 8 rib crank on, and an 8 rib ac pulley back on, all the other pulleys are done, and this is really impairing my saleen s/c installation.
Old 12/13/10, 03:16 AM

any luck with getting them back on? i will be doing the 8 rib when i get back. any tips or tricks?
Old 12/14/10, 12:03 AM
GT Member

Yeah actually, but here is my tips on them:

Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer- make sure you rent the puller from auto zone, not sure what puller you need for a stock pulley, i had the UDP's kit, so i used the 3 prong puller. Make sure when you go to remove the pulley that you put that nipple cap over the bolt so you dont drive your bolt into the crank instead of pulling the pulley off.. This will strip out your threads and you will have to re tap your crank...trust me you dont want this hahahaha. As far as seatting the harmonic balancer back on it. If you dont screw up the threads like i did, you should be able to use the tool from the "zone" harmonic balancer installer, or something like that.

AC Pulley- This one is tricky and yes i messed this one up again hahah. Just unscrew iu believe the 10mm bolt and pull the clutch off, if it wont come off no biggy, i used the same pulley remover as i did for the crank. and it is a 3 piece design. now to get all the pieces off you need a puller to get the actual pulley off. but to get the part in the back that is electricle, there is a snap ring that you must take off or you will mess it up and have to buy a new compressor like me hahah. once you take of that snap ring, then it shoudl slide off easy.

Power steering pump-they make an actual power steering pump pulley remover/installer you can rent or buy at the zone. its pretty easy actually.

Altenator- is tricky, well on mine it was but basically i used a humongeous allan wrench in an impact to drive the pulley off of the actual altenator. and then just put the new one back on , and used an impact till it would go no more and was tight.

Othere than that man, the rest of the pulleys are just idlers and easy as can be. Good luck, if i was you i would find an install manuel and go step by step...not just think "i can do this" like me and screw up some serious crap. As soon as i get my car running again, i have to go bring it to a shop, to fix my crank "hopefully" and my ac pump pulley
Old 12/14/10, 12:04 AM
GT Member

BTW you said Get back where you at? I was just wondering. Im in the army 13M, and i just got back from Afghan in sept...
Old 12/14/10, 05:01 AM

im a flight engineer in the air force. im in UAE now. it sucks that you ran into some issues. hope you get it going soon. ive been thinking about doing this for a while now but was wondering how difficult it would be. ill get some pulley pullers and try my luck at it in about 2 weeks.