GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

ABS Light On

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/05, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of you may recall I posted the ABS light came on shortly after installing my FRPP Shorty Headers, Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plates and my DiabloSport Custom Tune. Let me first say that none of the mods including the custom tune was the cause of this problem. As it turns out the wiring harness for the right rear wheel speed sensor is routed very close to the left exhaust pipe where comes through the floor pan (behind left rear seat back - under trunkmat) and goes over the axle housing. Keep in mind that this pipe is still a factory piece. The dealer worked diligently with Ford engineers to locate this problem as it was not visably melted from the outside. The harness shorted out when the insulation melted and damaged the ABS module. Took the dealer and Ford quite a while (2 weeks) to figure out what had happened. The engineers also requested pictures to determine if this was a new problem that we were going to see as they had never encountered it before. However when the problem was finally found repairs were completed very quickly and the best part was they covered it under warranty. I know we all think they should but most dealers immediately blame the mods and void any warranty. I am fortunate to have a very good service department at my local Ford dealer and since the mods did not cause the failure they covered the entire bill under warranty.

I would suggest that whenever your vehicle is on a hoist check that portion of the harness for any signs of damage.
Old 6/11/05, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny you mentioned this. I just serviced my car today & noticed that the harness is about 2" from the exhaust. I tried to move it but to no avail.
Old 6/11/05, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

When I installed my MagnaFlow Catted X-Pipe today I looked at the harness. The tech relocated the harness to provide more clearance. What is interesting was the harness was routed correctly as per Ford.

Forgot to mention an engineer was scheduled to fly down and look at my vehicle. However, the dealer was able to provide the engineer with enough pictures that he didn't need to come down.

I am not sure having an engineer from Ford look at the vehicle would have been a good idea with all my mods even though they weren't the cause. No need to give them a reason to deny warranty.
Old 6/11/05, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did the tech do to relocate the harness?
Old 6/11/05, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

He zip tied the harness at several locations to a adjacent steel fuel line to prevent it from coming too close to the exhaust in the future.