GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

500 hp 4.6 3V blower kit - FRPP? repost?

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/06, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
500 hp 4.6 3V blower kit - FRPP? repost?

I hope this isn't a repost, but how long is the engine going to last with this kit:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9765

$30k GT500 that weighs 500 lb less than the actual GT500.
Old 12/26/06, 09:39 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of the intercooled S/C kits out there should be able to hit 500 crank hp if you're willing to pull 11lbs. It's nice to see FRPP has finally joined the intercooled party but to my eyes this kit is nothing special. On the weight front keep in mind the installed kit will be well over 100lbs, and the weight of the GT500 if often overstated. It's actual curb weight seems to be 350lbs above the stock GT which means this version would only be about 200lbs lighter.
Old 12/26/06, 09:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The curb weight for the GT500 coupe is listed as 3920 lb, and 4040 lb for the convertible. That is in the range of 98-02 Crown Vics! The manual GT coupe is listed as 3450 lb, and my shipping label said 3353 lb with only 2 gal of gas. With the remaining 14 gal of gas added and gas at 6.6 lb / gal, that's about 3445 lb. The diff between a GT manual hardtop and a GT500 coupe is just under 500 lb. In the Ford Bold Moves episode where a journalist tries out the GT500, it weighs in just a few lb shy of 4000 lb.

500 crank hp is good enough since that is the advertised crank hp of the GT500. Thus with a 100 lb extra weight, the blown GT still has a 370 lb weight advantage, and a $15k-$30k price advantage.

How does the aluminum block 4.6 3V and the rotating parts handle the 11 psi of boost???
Old 12/26/06, 09:57 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
How does the aluminum block 4.6 3V and the rotating parts handle the 11 psi of boost???
only one way to find out!
Old 12/26/06, 10:10 AM
V6 Member

Yeah I've seen the same official weight figures, but I've also seen a couple magazine articles where they actually weigh the GT500 and it always seems to come in lighter. I had a mag a couple weeks ago that compared the stangs to the vettes, (MotorTrend?) they weighed all the cars and the GT500 came in 330 more than the GT as I recal. Anyways that's where I got the numbers, who knows who's are more accurate, the point is once you get the blower installed + any other performance gear to support it, the GT's weight advantage starts to shrink.
Old 12/26/06, 10:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

There is still a weight advantage (100 lb worth 10 hp on the 1/4 mile) and a significant cost advantage if you really want a 500 hp S-197
Old 12/26/06, 12:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

i have the intercooled kit...

check out my post:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=57243

and mine is @ 470 RWHP @ 10PSI. and yes, being 500 at the crank, cause others have gotten around my RWHP range.

I've had it on for about 3 weeks and coudn't BE HAPPIER!!!
Old 12/26/06, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the FRPP 500hp kit and I recently dyno'd at 475.5 at the wheels. I am told that Whipple and Ford have put these kits into approximately 300 test vehicles with no problems. I only have mine less than a week so I can't offer personal experience except to say the car is now unbelievable.
Old 12/26/06, 01:39 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NDHESQ
I have the FRPP 500hp kit and I recently dyno'd at 475.5 at the wheels. I am told that Whipple and Ford have put these kits into approximately 300 test vehicles with no problems. I only have mine less than a week so I can't offer personal experience except to say the car is now unbelievable.
Hey mr. 500hp, time to update your sig
Old 12/26/06, 01:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So the stock engines can handle 500 crank hp??? WOW!!
Old 12/26/06, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the stock engines can handle 500 crank hp??? WOW!!
I would keep it a little under 500 crank , I've been told that 500 would be pushing it. I'm going to keep mine at under 500 crank ,til I have the bottom end forged. I think the rods are the weak link,but I'm not for sure.
Old 12/26/06, 01:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

look at it this way, your getting a reputable blower with the Ford name on it and your getting a new tune, tuned by Ford, Ford Racing & Whipple, and putting down big power.....
Old 12/26/06, 04:47 PM
Cobra Member

Its going to be a matter of how much time the engine sees 500 BHP. Fatigue will take its toll and then bang, something will break. Where that point is, time will tell. At least Ford seem to have confidence in the whipple package, so this 3V V8 appears to be a fairly tough engine.

Having said that, we do have an engine with a cast crank and powder metal rods and non forged pistons. Not the best combo for high stress and high cycles. The Motorsport alum block, forged steel crank and rods and forged aluminum pistons would definetely be a good insurance policy for longivity if you plan to hammer your pony a lot.
Old 12/26/06, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Some guy with a supercharged Vic kept blowing the trans and the dealership replaced the trans under warranty w/o any problems. I was shocked to find out his supercharger and non-stock engine calibration did not void the warranty. I wonder if it is the same case with the 500 hp kit for the GT?
Old 12/26/06, 06:04 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,350 Posts
Some guy with a supercharged Vic kept blowing the trans and the dealership replaced the trans under warranty w/o any problems. I was shocked to find out his supercharger and non-stock engine calibration did not void the warranty. I wonder if it is the same case with the 500 hp kit for the GT?
The Only Reason it was Warranteed was that Ford Corporate did not know about it. Ford is Getting Tougher and Tougher on Waranty Claims and Those Dealers who Perform Questionable Repairs may end up Paying for the Claims Themselves. Dealers are asked on certain claims if the vehicle is modified. If they answer yes and Ford Decides to send a Field rep out to Investigate, the Customers Warranty my be made null and void. If the Dealer Lies and Ford sends out a rep and finds the Vehicle modified the Dealer is in deep Doo Doo!

KC
Old 12/28/06, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

don't forget that the GT500 comes with forged internals and a beefier driveline. So if you wanted 600 rwhp out of it all you really need is a different pulley and tune.
Old 1/3/07, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Blower = no drivetrain warranty

I think we're all missing something here-

It is difficult to accept the rational that Ford somehow has confidence that a Whipple blower will not eventually destroy this engine. I do agree that this package was well thought out, and there is a good chance that I myself will buy one....but, the FRPP blower package instantly voids your warranty. FRPP created this package because people want to buy blowers for this engine. If FRPP puts one out, then people will buy the FRPP blower. FRPP makes more money, and stock holders are happy. It's good business.

Your entire drivetrain warranty is now void. I know that some will say otherwise, but come on- you guys are obviously in deep denial. Your claim that bolting on a blower that adds 200 horsepower should not void the warranty simply does not pass the "straight face test". You're all dreaming. If you took Ford to court, you would lose, hands down.

You blow the motor, you will have to buy a new one from Ford. If I was Ford, I would be pushing blowers big time, because they are going to increase major non-warranty repairs.

That said, I will still buy one (eventually), but with the knowledge that I will not be able to come back crying to the dealer to fix it for free when I finally break something.

I'm not saying don't buy a blower, I'm just saying don't fool yourself into believing that you still have a drivetrain warranty after you bolt one on.

I look forward to joining the voided warranty club in the near future.
Old 1/3/07, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by helicfii
I'm not saying don't buy a blower, I'm just saying don't fool yourself into believing that you still have a drivetrain warranty after you bolt one on.

I look forward to joining the voided warranty club in the near future.
what.... you can't swap it out in your driveway and tow it over to your local dealership to fill those holes in the side of the block on warranty?
Old 1/4/07, 08:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
The Only Reason it was Warranteed was that Ford Corporate did not know about it. Ford is Getting Tougher and Tougher on Waranty Claims and Those Dealers who Perform Questionable Repairs may end up Paying for the Claims Themselves. Dealers are asked on certain claims if the vehicle is modified. If they answer yes and Ford Decides to send a Field rep out to Investigate, the Customers Warranty my be made null and void. If the Dealer Lies and Ford sends out a rep and finds the Vehicle modified the Dealer is in deep Doo Doo!

KC
Exactly! and correct me if I am wrong, the dealerships are supposed to take a picture with the Ford provided camera and computer system for any warranty claim over $75 I think? When I brought my car in to the butchers to fix the corrosion on the paint, they used that system. Uploaded the pics which included my VIN and license plate and Ford gave the thumbs up to move ahead.
Old 1/4/07, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going to stay in the 400 horsepower range. I think it is a happy medium and a good bit more safe.

Quick Reply: 500 hp 4.6 3V blower kit - FRPP? repost?