GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

400RWHP N/A is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/06, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
400RWHP N/A is it possible?

I'd love to get my car to 400 rwhp, however haven't seen too many guys get up much over 320 rwhp N/A on the stock motor. Is it possible? Can it be done? What's the highest rwhp you guys have seen from an N/a car? I'm planning on eventually doing heads and cams but how close will that get me? I'm not sure anyone really knows yet. Another question, am I going to spend more money doing all that work to get to 400rwhp N/A than I would sacking up and buy a supercharger?
Old 7/17/06, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wouldn't be surprised if 400 NA is possible with head and cam work. MM&FF just had an interested article about BBR's heads and cams. Although I'm not entirely sure that the numbers are right, it's on my list of possibilities.
Old 7/17/06, 06:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good question. I think the best bet is to get a supercharger. Even on a stock block, $5K in a supercharger can get you 450 at the wheel.

To build a block with overbore, pistons, rods, heads, cams, etc, will probably cost more than that and net less rwhp.

It would be a shame to put over 5K in a NA motor, and have every supercharged and turbocharged car out there walk all over me.

I haven't read of anybody getting crazy hp out of an NA car, though I'm sure somebody has.
Old 7/17/06, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Nitrous will get you there. Only for a few seconds, though.
Old 7/17/06, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Stop talking about nitrous and other F/I he wants to know about NA.

Yeah you could make 400 to the wheels you will need a pretty radical cam and lots of head/intake work though. Could also be done by boring and stroking.
Old 7/17/06, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Stop talking about nitrous and other F/I he wants to know about NA
Read post #1 again... especially the last sentence.

Yeah you could make 400 to the wheels you will need a pretty radical cam and lots of head/intake work though. Could also be done by boring and stroking.
And how do you know this???? Have you done it? Has anyone done it? And don't say BBR... their BS won't fly with me.
Old 7/17/06, 10:17 PM
Cobra Member

big-bore and/or stroke it, add in head and cam work and you might hit 400rwhp. Those are just the big mods, if you wanted to do a full bolt on...

Short Ram intake ( C&L or JLT, not Granatelli )
Diablo or SCT tuners with good custom dyno tuning
Short or Long Tube Headers and X-Pipe
Intake Manifold Control Plate Deletes
Electric Water Pump
yada yada, there are some other things you can do but I dont recommend JR's products for business relations related reasons...

-Dan
Old 7/17/06, 11:15 PM
Cobra R Member

yes you can hit 400, how much money do you have? If you have the money it can be done, just build the engine up, exhaust and intakes ported and polished, cam, high compression pistons, good rings and rods, high flow fuel and oil pump, new heads, headers, no cats, xpipe, and axle backs, cold air intake, computer reflash,new fuel injectors, you get the picture? Well if you got the money it can be done. cheaply, no, done yes. good luck
Old 7/17/06, 11:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
I still wonder how much those actually help.

High compression, lots of timing, high a:f, and all the other bolt-ons may get close. Who's to say, though, since no one (as far as we know) has tried?

Seems like heads and cams are still new tech...I'd wait a bit to see how they can be optimized and tuned before plopping either on.
Old 7/18/06, 05:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

IMHO, not very likely.

If you believe the rule-of-thumb that it takes 1.5 CFM of air to produce 1 hp, then you would need to run a VE of 1.0 while turning about 7500 rpm. . . . . Again, not very likely.

The Boss Hog
Old 7/18/06, 06:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Stop talking about nitrous and other F/I he wants to know about NA.
Why don't you read the whole 1st post next time before you start ordering people around.
Old 7/18/06, 08:25 AM

This really isn't something that would be taking place in the immediate future but I'm just curious the possibilities of this motor. Thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like some of the mods I have now have me on a good track to get there if possible. What is the highest RWHP anyone has gotten N/A?
Old 7/18/06, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman
Why don't you read the whole 1st post next time before you start ordering people around.

Cant we just feel the love on this topic
Old 7/18/06, 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

well, take for instance that I make 300hp and 305 ft/lbs @ the rear wheels on a Mustang Dyno with the following mods...

JLT short ram intake and Jet throttle body spacer
Hooker long tube headers

I have not considered underdrive pullies cause I very well may bolt a supercharger up top someday. I have not caught the bug to want to bolt everything on that is available just yet but as I stated before I believe you will at least come close enough to it with everything else currently available without removing things like A/C and P/S.

-Dan
Old 7/18/06, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
big-bore and/or stroke it, add in head and cam work and you might hit 400rwhp. Those are just the big mods, if you wanted to do a full bolt on...

Short Ram intake ( C&L or JLT, not Granatelli )
Diablo or SCT tuners with good custom dyno tuning
Short or Long Tube Headers and X-Pipe
Electric Water Pump
yada yada, there are some other things you can do but I dont recommend JR's products for business relations related reasons...

-Dan
Do you really have to bash the guy in every possible thread you post in? You don't like him. We know. Get a life.
Old 7/18/06, 11:37 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep it on topic please, no need to go off tangents
Old 7/18/06, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Galaxie
keep it on topic please, no need to go off tangents
No joke.
Old 7/18/06, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

On a more on track note, Blow By Racing seems to be to the most outgoing about having high HP N/A vehicles via cams and head jobs. Although there numbers have been disputed in the past, they found their way into MM&FF. I'd like to see an actual 3rd party verify dyno numbers before dropping that much money though.

Head work and cams, however, after labor time especially can be a big chunk of what you would have spent on a supercharger or turbo setup however.

With that in mind, it is possible but I would go with a FI setup first, then do your engine modifications around the FI. This being that heads and cams can be optimized for FI, but if you have NA purpose heads/cams then you'll just have to redo them down the road if you want to optimize your setup.
Old 7/18/06, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by don_w
And how do you know this???? Have you done it? Has anyone done it? And don't say BBR... their BS won't fly with me.
I've seen 400hp from a GM 4 cyl so with twice as many cylinders and more technology, it's very easy. It's all in the heads. If you can't get enough flow through the intake runners, find a way to get some different heads on there. If someone felt like it they could probably get 500hp from a 4.6. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know about motors, period.
Old 7/18/06, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by TexaStang
On a more on track note, Blow By Racing seems to be to the most outgoing about having high HP N/A vehicles via cams and head jobs. Although there numbers have been disputed in the past, they found their way into MM&FF. I'd like to see an actual 3rd party verify dyno numbers before dropping that much money though.

Head work and cams, however, after labor time especially can be a big chunk of what you would have spent on a supercharger or turbo setup however.

With that in mind, it is possible but I would go with a FI setup first, then do your engine modifications around the FI. This being that heads and cams can be optimized for FI, but if you have NA purpose heads/cams then you'll just have to redo them down the road if you want to optimize your setup.
Bro, if you want an article in MM&FF, you can have it. It's not always b/c someone has some awesome product. All it takes is $$$$$. Second, BBR originally advertised some rediculous numbers. They now advertise something totally different. Why??? Because it was too much BS for anyone to swallow. It was too unbelievable...everyone knew it, they knew it.
It's going to be difficult to hit 400 N/A and alot of JACK! The other side is driveability. The more HP you have N/A, the less tolerable it is on the street.

Quick Reply: 400RWHP N/A is it possible?