GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

4.10's = Problem with tune?

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/06, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I'm at a loss guys. hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I have an 06 GT Vert with an automatic trans. I'll go thru the time line.

Stock: weak performance (obviously)
C&L+93 octane tune from Lidio (Alternative Auto): Awesome Throttle Response.....grenaded the tires thru 1st and 2nd (if i wanted them to)....barked 3rd and took off!
added 4.10's: weird problem.....I reflashed and changed the gear ratio on the Xcal2 to 4.10. I took it easy for a while to make sure the gears had a chance to set right....

this is what I can't figure out: The car is a pig off the line now [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] From a dead stop, if I nail it.......nothing...it sort of hesitate a little until maybe 2500rpm and then takes off.........if I power brake it to 1500 rpms or so it spins for a couple of seconds and then launches..... If I put it in 1st gear (remember it's an auto) and roll up to maybe 15 or 20 mph and nail it it pulls like crazy.....but doesn't break the tires loose....just chirps second gear. With 4.10's it should pull like crazy and spin....right???

I really wanted to get it on a dyno before I posted this, but there aren't too many places around here with a dyno.....just evolution motorsports....and I haven't heard good things about them. Do you guys think it's the tune??? What else could it possibly be? It runs fine just cruising around.....I feel like i can't even enjoy my cars full potential now. I don't want to take this car to the track until I figure this out. It doesn't feel like there's a problem....but it doesn't make sense that it would smoke the tires before the 4.10's and doesn't spin now at all????
Old 5/3/06, 08:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just talked to Lidio and he blames the 4.10 gears on my problem. I really can't say I agree. I'm not running at the strip and complaining about worse 1/4 mile times. The launch with 4.10's should be a lot more intense than with stock gears.

Do you guys think I should reload the stock tune, disconnect the battery....and then reload the 93 tune and see what happens??

Or, buy new tunes from Doug??

Or, Load the 91 octane tune and see if there was a problem with the 93 octane tune?
Old 5/3/06, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two thoughts:

1. I call BS on the 4.10s being a problem... there are just too many of us who have done it. And I ran them with a predator canned tune, and then later with Doug's X2 tunes.

2. When you reflashed and changed the gear ratio, are you absolutely certain you changed Lidio's tune? Or did you somehow just modify the factory stock tune and put it back in. The reason I ask is that some tuners won't let you change their tunes. If I needed something modified, I would contact Doug, and he would e-mail me a modified tune to upload to the X2.

If you indeed modified Lidio's tune, and it runs like crap on 4.10s, and Lidio can't (won't?) fix it, then I would be contacting Doug in a nanosecond and switching tuners.
Old 5/3/06, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I had 4.10's installed, and tried to change the gear ratio on my predator.
Didn't work, so I sold the predator and my JLT 1, and called Lidio. He was against the 4.10's, but sent me an xcal II set-up for 4.10's. I could not ask for a better set-up. There is no hesitation whatsoever.
Old 5/3/06, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

i dont get why they are against 4.10s for autos.... but then again, they (meaning people here) told me 4.30s would be too much for a daily driver, but everyday i thank the maker that I got them......
Old 5/3/06, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

You can try reloading the 93 tune, just make sure you select parameter change on the XCal2 and change axle ratio to 4.10 when you reload Lidio's tune.
Old 5/3/06, 09:46 AM
V6 Member

i had the c&l diablo tune it was working great with my headers and my 4:10 thought that the a/f was lean i didnt check it out,, but i didnt had any problem
Old 5/3/06, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ May 3, 2006, 11:03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Two thoughts:

1. I call BS on the 4.10s being a problem... there are just too many of us who have done it. And I ran them with a predator canned tune, and then later with Doug's X2 tunes.

2. When you reflashed and changed the gear ratio, are you absolutely certain you changed Lidio's tune? Or did you somehow just modify the factory stock tune and put it back in. The reason I ask is that some tuners won't let you change their tunes. If I needed something modified, I would contact Doug, and he would e-mail me a modified tune to upload to the X2.

If you indeed modified Lidio's tune, and it runs like crap on 4.10s, and Lidio can't (won't?) fix it, then I would be contacting Doug in a nanosecond and switching tuners.
[/b][/quote]

I just emailed doug.....hopefully he can help me.....thanks Don......and everyone else......I hope its that easy......

Don: I agree with everything you said... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] I am sure the tune was changed...my speedo is accurate for the 4.10's. It's a shame that my BMW launches better than my mustang right now...
Old 5/3/06, 10:25 AM
GT Member

I got an adjusted tune from Doug ... no issues at all ... love my 4.10's.
Old 5/3/06, 04:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Lee I see your from Cherry Hill. JDM Engineering is only about an 1/2 ride from you.Top Notch guys.I'm sure they can help you out with your problem.Heres a link below for ya.Giv'em a buzz.

http://www.teamjdm.com/
Old 5/3/06, 08:51 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigaloz @ May 3, 2006, 10:07 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I had 4.10's installed, and tried to change the gear ratio on my predator.
Didn't work, so I sold the predator and my JLT 1, and called Lidio. He was against the 4.10's, but sent me an xcal II set-up for 4.10's. I could not ask for a better set-up. There is no hesitation whatsoever.
[/b][/quote]

This is about the third or forth time I have heard that Lidio does not like 4:10s. I wish someone would share his reasons with us as he never said a word about my gears when he did my tune. Please advise. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 09:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stangers @ May 3, 2006, 4:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey Lee I see your from Cherry Hill. JDM Engineering is only about an 1/2 ride from you.Top Notch guys.I'm sure they can help you out with your problem.Heres a link below for ya.Giv'em a buzz.

http://www.teamjdm.com/
[/b][/quote]
i 2nd to call JDM
Old 5/4/06, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elvism @ May 3, 2006, 11:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i 2nd to call JDM
[/b][/quote]

I actually did call them. They can't even shedule a dyno run until July 28th? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Hopefully I'll hear from Doug soon. I should probably get dyno'd in the meantime and see if anything jumps out. I'm not sure if anything will show up if the problem is from a dead stop. (launch)
Old 5/4/06, 12:45 PM

Might have something to do with the Traction Lock???? Also once to change the tune in a Xcal2 you must save it before uploading it to the car.
Old 5/4/06, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1badtk @ May 4, 2006, 2:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Might have something to do with the Traction Lock???? Also once to change the tune in a Xcal2 you must save it before uploading it to the car.
[/b][/quote]

you might be on to something. I'll have to throw in some friction modifier and see if it helps. I have noticed slight chattering at low speed turns.
Old 5/5/06, 06:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiRoller @ May 4, 2006, 6:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
you might be on to something. I'll have to throw in some friction modifier and see if it helps. I have noticed slight chattering at low speed turns.
[/b][/quote]

Any thoughts from the other performance experts?????

I tried a nice launch this morning and it almost feels like i'm easing off a clutch.... I'm picking up the Ford Racing Friction modifier after work. I talked to the idiot that installed my gears. He said he didn't use friction modifier because "it didn't need it" What a moron. I would have paid the extra 6 bucks to avoid this problem. And for anyone in South Jersey DO NOT use Radical Racing in Atco under any circumstances.
Old 5/5/06, 11:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Can anyone tell me if with a BAMA tune (torque 93 tune) with a xcal 2 the gear swap will work with out a problem. Just some changes to the tune to adjust the speedo?

Doug you out there?
Old 5/5/06, 02:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Lee I got a guy by me who has a dyno. Always available to do it, if your interested, call me later on, wanna hear what info Doug gave you.
Old 5/5/06, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just talked to Doug. I should have my new tunes tonight!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I'll let you guys know what happens