GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

3.73 gears arrived, got a question?

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/07, 11:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.73 gears arrived, got a question?

Well i bit the bullet and had to get the 373's, I didnt get the extra install kit available, the dealer guy said I probably wouldnt need it as long as the bearings were still good. Well I ended up ordering it anyway as I want to make sure it gets done in one day when they do it. So just wanted to have all parts in hand. Who here with an auto has done the 373's. Did you use the extra install kit or just the parts included with the gears? How do you like them, how much more of rpm go up? Any info on the install would be great. I am going to have sunset ford put them in as they seem to be the performance ford dealer near here. well as you can see just trying to get some info on the install before hand so I will be ready. Thanks
Old 1/23/07, 11:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats where I bought my mustang from! I actually bought it from the dealership GM, got a nice deal back when the manual GT's were scarce. I think he personally sold less than a handful of cars last year, and I was one of them. Randy is a good friend of my dads, from back in the day. They sold cars together years ago. Service dept. there is excellent too. If you have any problems, he'll take care of you.
Old 1/24/07, 12:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Yah thanks for the input edge, I think I am going to take off my gms intake and put it back to stock so that I can get whatever computer changes done for the gears etc. and so the dealerships dont give me any junk. But I think sunset is a shop that does more performance than most around here. So I probably will be going there more than mcmahon. I bought it from mcmahon and they had an awesome service dept with this mgr. named doug I wont say his last name and he took care of business. now they let him go, and it just aint the same. I used to talk to him about all sorts of mods etc. through email and guy was always willing to talk about it. So hopefully sunset is awesome.
Old 1/24/07, 12:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I've had good luck so far with Sunset. They sell more Mustangs than anywhere in the midwest, and there is a reason for that! You'll be happy with them. If not, let me know and we can talk to the manager and see what we get accomplished. He's very down to earth and will do the right thing. I think most dealership managers are actually this way, the problem is the middle management. They will play like they are GOD and deny warranty, etc. If you can make it to the big man, he is usually a decent guy. (at least in my experience)
Old 1/24/07, 05:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sodaman
Well i bit the bullet and had to get the 373's, I didnt get the extra install kit available, the dealer guy said I probably wouldnt need it as long as the bearings were still good. Well I ended up ordering it anyway as I want to make sure it gets done in one day when they do it. So just wanted to have all parts in hand. Who here with an auto has done the 373's. Did you use the extra install kit or just the parts included with the gears? How do you like them, how much more of rpm go up? Any info on the install would be great. I am going to have sunset ford put them in as they seem to be the performance ford dealer near here. well as you can see just trying to get some info on the install before hand so I will be ready. Thanks
You'll really like the new gears.

I got my GT from Sunset also.

Sodaman, make sure you write down your existing stategy code that your SCT is reading when hooked up to the ECM. (before taking the car in)
The reason for this is the Ford tech will have to get into the ECM to program in the new gears. When he does that if there have been any new programming updates to the control software it will be added at that time. This will change the stategy code in your ECM.
The way to check this is, after the gear install, plug your SCT into the ECM, the SCT will read the stategy code, if it matches the code you wrote down and saved your good to go.........if not you will have to contact Doug at BC.

Yeah, you will want to install the stock air box and then return the car ECM back to stock. After that remove the positive battery lead from the battery this will clear any and all information from ram memory. This is important.

I will be attending Sunset's Car show this Spring...........last year I came in second. Maybe I'll see ya there.

Man, getting my GT to pass emmisions this month was a challenge........but thats a different story for a different time. If ya need any help with how to do that let me know.

Have fun
Old 1/24/07, 06:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
How much were the parts and how much will it cost for the install?
Old 1/24/07, 08:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I just got a sticker shock on the labor. I may have to do the gears, LOL.

Here is the breakdown:
1 M4209F373N RING & PINION 8.8 154.00 $154.00
Sub Total: $154.00
Taxes: $0.00
Shipping Charges Automatically Calculated Shipping: $15.40
Handling Charge: $4.00
Total: $173.40

1 M4210A 8.8 RING &PINION KIT 31.90 $31.90
Sub Total: $31.90
Taxes: $0.00
Shipping Charges Automatically Calculated Shipping: $5.95
Handling Charge: $4.00
Total: $41.85

ARe you ready for the labor from a ford dealer,LOL

$588.00
so the grand total =$803.25

So as you see a dilemma has set in,LOL. Do i fork out the 600 bucks from the dealer to have it done right, computer updated etc. or do I use my buddy and get it done for a couple hundred, then have to pay ford to program the computer. Anyone in St. Louis have this done not at the dealer, where did you have it done, and did you update your computer with the gear info from the dealer, or was someone else able to do it for you, cost etc? Just figuring out my next move, as the sway bar kit I have needs to get installed as well, and I dont feel like doing it myself, dealer wants 200, not too bad.

Oh yah those prices are from johnbleakleyford on the parts, great fast customer service.
Old 1/24/07, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Personally I'd find a small but reputable shop in your area and have them do the install. Just cause its a ford dealership dont mean it will be done 100% right. Also cant you update your speedo with your sct2? and just have doug redo your tune?
Old 1/24/07, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

600 bucks is insane. i did my 3.55 myself and have had no issues. luckly it was not my 1st time to do it. if you had a sct 2 tunner you would not have to have ford do anything.
Old 1/24/07, 08:53 AM
Cobra R Member

If I were to go back to stock with the 3.73 , can I just change the gear set up without changing the tune as well. I thought you could make that change but only with the tune. I would like to have it set up properly for stock, for when I have to do dealer runs etc. Does car still drive properly with new gears and left stock, wasnt sure how much info the car uses with the 373 in. I know for the speedo, but does it affect anything else, and like I said can I update gear info with stock tune. But you are right I probably will stay away from 600 bucks, but just trying to figure it all out. I havent done gears before but my old boss has, so I could go have him do it. I know getting the lash set up etc is where it gets tricky, pasting stuff on the gears etc, to see how they line up. So if I put it back to stock, then install gears. Can I somehow update the stock tune so that it reflects the gears then save that, then do the bama tune after wards. Like I said just trying to get stock right with 373's before going anywhere else. Thanks for any ideas or input guys.
Old 1/24/07, 10:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 3.73's in my auto and had a private shop do it because the Ford dealer wanted $600+. I ended up paying $400.00, but when I had to have the clutch packs replaced as a warranty issue, they discovered the guy who did my gears used too many shims, or shims that were too thick. Luckily my dealer fixed it at no charge. The shop I used had a great reputation and was highly recommended. If I was to do it over I'd take it to my dealer for peace of mind!!!!!!
Old 1/24/07, 12:58 PM
V6 Member

Sodaman I had 3.73 gears installed at Mustang Muscle for $307.29. That included gear oil and friction modifier. The gears went in like butter and did not have to use a shim kit. Here is where I bought my gears:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

Doug can change your tune for the gears. Your rpm's will be about 300 more with the gears. You will love them.
Old 1/24/07, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 415cid goose
Sodaman I had 3.73 gears installed at Mustang Muscle for $307.29. That included gear oil and friction modifier. The gears went in like butter and did not have to use a shim kit. Here is where I bought my gears:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

Doug can change your tune for the gears. Your rpm's will be about 300 more with the gears. You will love them.
They did my gears also.
Old 1/25/07, 12:19 AM
Cobra R Member

well i know the tune can be changed for the gears. But I am trying to get to stock program with gears in. Only way to get the stock tune with the 373 gears installed im assuming is to have the stock tune put back in car, install gears, dealer adj stock tune with computer. Then and only then is my stock program set up for 373's, then throw on the tune. So in other words. Whenever I put my car back to stock tune for warranty etc, i would throw back on stock tune, which will already have the gears updated, so the speedo will be right period. Am I thinking about this the wrong way. I want the car set up like it came from the factory with 373's. Any input on what I am saying is appreciated. I know I can get it done cheaper, but stock program will not be set up properly. Do you think if I had the gears done somewhere else, would the dealer charge me 75 bucks or something to update stock program? Any thoughts.
Old 1/25/07, 09:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Well some good news! I just got off the phone with sunset ford again. I wanted to ask them how much they would charge to upgrade the stock software once the gears were put in. I told them I wanted to get it done somewhere else because of the sticker shock I got when I got labor quotes the other day. The service mgr. said what did I get quoted, and I told him. He said I am sure we can work something out, says he wants to get as much work in as he can. So he quoted 520 for labor on gears and the sway bar kit install. Now thats not bad for dealer pricing. I also think I am going to have him throw on the rotors while I am there, dude was super nice and exactly what I was looking for in a service mgr. we talked mods, superchargers in the future etc. If anyone needs a good dealer in st. louis to go to for mod freindly place. I am guessing this is one of the better ones. Got an appt set up for february 6th. So will have a bunch to report after that, thanks for the help and suggestions.
Old 1/25/07, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice, thats a good deal! Good luck with the installs
Old 1/26/07, 10:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Well just an update, got the rear end girdle for the 05-07 8.8. I got it and the stud kit from john bleakley ford. this thing is going to look hot!! I cant wait for feb 6th any more, LOL.