GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

2ND FLOWMASTER TEST VEHICLE

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/05, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Morning fellow enthusiasts!

Just recieved notification from Flowmaster that they will need a SECOND GT (as I'm sure many of you know, M1's was the first) to perfect the fitment of their next generation muffler.

I've had my GT since mid-OCT '04 believe it or not, and I picked it up right off the lot up here in Walnut Creek,CA. I've been scanning the board for awhile and have noticed there is some confusion regarding the Flowmaster mufflers.

Yes, it's true that you can go to any old shop with any old catalog ordered 30,40,50 series mufflers and have them welded up, BUT, Flowmaster's R&D dept. is specifically redesigning a totally new muffler for the '05 GT.

To the best of my knowledge, they have a prototype in place. (Probably on M1's car as I write this) and from what they told me on the phone, the exhaust is tunable(not sure if it has a manual flap or if its controlled by backpressure or what)

Anyway, they have the design down, they just want my car for fitment purposes. I assume they just want to work out any kinks before they mass produce the new muffler.

I go to their headquarters in Santa Rosa tomorrow for the fitment (and free mufflers!)

I assume they will be dyno testing before and after and I hope to provide some numbers and put this exhaust debate to rest!

IMO,It seems like while a lot of other companies were quick to saturate the market with their products just to make a fast buck, Flowmaster looks to be genuinely committed to relying on their R&D group to provide a high quality product, even it means coming into the market a little late.
Old 2/16/05, 04:53 PM
GT Member

FYI- Alot of companies had access to 05 GT months before they came out, so R&D work was able to be accomplished before the car was actually even released.

Magnaflow had access to Mustang GTs 6 months before release and was invited by Ford to come to Detriot in order to talk one on one with the engineers who designed the factory exhaust.

Several companies took advantage of this opportunity.

I just think it was unfair to make a generalization like that when many companies have also put in a lot of R&D work on this car.

In fact Magnaflow even purchased an 05 GT so that we could have unlimited access to the vehicle.

This post was in no way saying that Flowmaster does not do R&D work, as they do alot of it-
and they build a quality product.

I just thought the statement you made was not fair.
Old 2/20/05, 01:05 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by RETRO-RY@February 16, 2005, 10:40 AM
Good Morning fellow enthusiasts!

Just recieved notification from Flowmaster that they will need a SECOND GT (as I'm sure many of you know, M1's was the first) to perfect the fitment of their next generation muffler.

I've had my GT since mid-OCT '04 believe it or not, and I picked it up right off the lot up here in Walnut Creek,CA. I've been scanning the board for awhile and have noticed there is some confusion regarding the Flowmaster mufflers.

Yes, it's true that you can go to any old shop with any old catalog ordered 30,40,50 series mufflers and have them welded up, BUT, Flowmaster's R&D dept. is specifically redesigning a totally new muffler for the '05 GT.

To the best of my knowledge, they have a prototype in place. (Probably on M1's car as I write this) and from what they told me on the phone, the exhaust is tunable(not sure if it has a manual flap or if its controlled by backpressure or what)

Anyway, they have the design down, they just want my car for fitment purposes. I assume they just want to work out any kinks before they mass produce the new muffler.

I go to their headquarters in Santa Rosa tomorrow for the fitment (and free mufflers!)

I assume they will be dyno testing before and after and I hope to provide some numbers and put this exhaust debate to rest!

IMO,It seems like while a lot of other companies were quick to saturate the market with their products just to make a fast buck, Flowmaster looks to be genuinely committed to relying on their R&D group to provide a high quality product, even it means coming into the market a little late.
You'll have to let me know how they sound. I live in Fremont and work in Livermore. but are you coming to the Gallop Around the Bay on May 14th??
Old 2/22/05, 10:23 AM

05-

The install took them about an hour. Not to savvy with the digital yet so I can't get any clips up. Overall, I'm very impressed with the sound. The best way to explain it, is it sounds a lot like my '90 GT sounded with the 40 series Flow's. You get that deep, rich resonance at 1800-2100 RPM. Some would say that is why they don't like the 40 series, but I freakin' love it.

Thats about it, a little louder and more noticeable in that specified range that we all know and love! (2,000 RPM) and a little at WOT. Otherwise, its just as quiet as stock. They did not dyno the car so I don't know if I gained any HP. On the way home I went through the Caldecott tunnel comin' out of Berkeley and the darn thing sounded like a stock car as the exhaust was firing off the walls! A real nut grabber!

As far as the May 14 shindig, I didn't know about it prior to your post. I'll do a little web research on it and try to make it for sure!
Old 2/22/05, 01:36 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by RETRO-RY@February 22, 2005, 10:26 AM
05-

The install took them about an hour. Not to savvy with the digital yet so I can't get any clips up. Overall, I'm very impressed with the sound. The best way to explain it, is it sounds a lot like my '90 GT sounded with the 40 series Flow's. You get that deep, rich resonance at 1800-2100 RPM. Some would say that is why they don't like the 40 series, but I freakin' love it.

Thats about it, a little louder and more noticeable in that specified range that we all know and love! (2,000 RPM) and a little at WOT. Otherwise, its just as quiet as stock. They did not dyno the car so I don't know if I gained any HP. On the way home I went through the Caldecott tunnel comin' out of Berkeley and the darn thing sounded like a stock car as the exhaust was firing off the walls! A real nut grabber!

As far as the May 14 shindig, I didn't know about it prior to your post. I'll do a little web research on it and try to make it for sure!
Do what you can. I would love to see a mineral grey GT. Kinda wishing I went with that one. Not to cut the Black one short. I still love it.