GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

2006 Mustang GT - Front Struts/Springs

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/24, 08:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 Mustang GT - Front Struts/Springs

It seems I have to replace my front struts/springs on my 2006 GT. 99k miles and still originals. I usually tend to stick to Monroe as I've had good luck but since my car already has Strange adjustables in the rear, should I go more performance for the front? It's not lowered at all and I'll be keeping it that way as I don't race or anything. I'm looking for them already to bolt in as I don't want to mess with spring compressors etc. Also trying to stick to budget friendly options.

Gabriel? KYB?

Last edited by Rokkaholik; 9/23/24 at 08:43 PM.
Old 9/23/24, 09:09 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,334 Posts
For Your Shopping Pleasure!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,15174

KC
Old 9/23/24, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Already had them open in another tab... looking more for opinions or experience on other brands.
Old 9/23/24, 10:52 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,334 Posts
I Think This Member Would Have Some Good Input Off The Top of My Head! Seems To Really Be into Suspension Judging From a Recent Post! I'm Sure There Are Others As Well. But Bob Just Did a Post With Some Suspension Insight!

The Rockauto Link Might Be Helpful if The Advisor Likes Two Brands about The Same and Can Check For a Large Price Difference To Help With Budget!

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...sembly%2C15174

30+ Years I Did Ford Dealership Parts. Shocks & Struts Were Probably The Least Popular Maintenance Item Sold There. Usually Only Sold a Single One For a Leak on A New Car Warranty Or One To a Body Shop on a Newer Car That Was in an Accident. Couple That With Our Dry Area & Potholes The Size if Your Fist Vs Ones That Would Swallow a Kia Like in Some Area's and Our Shocks & Strut Sales Were Just Nil. So I Just Don't Have Much Real World on Other Brands!

Last Shocks I Bought Were For The Daughters 67 Big Block Fairlane. Got Some KYB's. I Was Happy With Them But They are a Far Cry From Struts! So Sorry No Personal Input!

@bob

Got Any Tips on This Question.

KC
Old 9/24/24, 07:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
I am not sure if it matters if you have firm/stiff (Strange) shocks in the back, and "normal" relatively soft struts in the front. I think it will be OK, you might just notice that the rear is a bit firmer than the front.

OEM struts might be a good choice. I think KYB are pretty good too. Since you are going with "stock-like" I think any of the big brands probably are fine.

Of course you want OEM-equivalent springs, if you are buying the struts/springs/mounts "pre-loaded"

Make sure they come with the improved "GT500" upper mounts, or similar. There was a common issue with the older mounts where they would fail and start "popping" which was corrected in the heavier-duty GT500 mounts; that change might have been applied to all of the mounts by now, not sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
05stangkc (9/24/24), Rokkaholik (9/24/24)
Old 9/24/24, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
I am not sure if it matters if you have firm/stiff (Strange) shocks in the back, and "normal" relatively soft struts in the front. I think it will be OK, you might just notice that the rear is a bit firmer than the front.

OEM struts might be a good choice. I think KYB are pretty good too. Since you are going with "stock-like" I think any of the big brands probably are fine.

Of course you want OEM-equivalent springs, if you are buying the struts/springs/mounts "pre-loaded"

Make sure they come with the improved "GT500" upper mounts, or similar. There was a common issue with the older mounts where they would fail and start "popping" which was corrected in the heavier-duty GT500 mounts; that change might have been applied to all of the mounts by now, not sure.
Thanks... i've almost always used Monroe. They've always been the easiest to get a hold of and the cheapest name brand I could find that wasn't some small budget fix it and sell it junk. I ended up spending a little too much on fixes when I bought this car so I have to watch the budget now. I've been reading and researching and it seems the common consensus was Monroe was lacking in quality and consistency in recent years which was why I was looking into other brands. This being a more "sporty" car that already has some mods done to it, I don't want to cheap out and put some trash or mediocre parts in there with the other good parts.

I'll have to crawl under the back of my car to see what all the previous owner put in there. The Strange shocks are very stiff right now so I'm assuming he had them dialed way up. I know there's a shock tower brace in the trunk as well as in the engine compartment so I'll have to look for other mods as well.

like I previously said somewhere, the front struts appear to be the originals in the car because they look pretty crusty in the car has 99,000 miles on it. That is about the time to change them anyway. I can bounce the front of my car manually by hand and it goes down a little too easy for my liking but it does level off fairly quick so I'm assuming they are just barely good enough but also weak. Besides, when I buy a used vehicle, I end up changing the oil and everything else immediately so I know when I did it and don't rely on when someone says they did