GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

2005 Mustang GT On Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/05, 04:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those interested I will be running a 75 shot to start and then progress to 100. Once colder plugs are available I will move further but only after some great tuning and with Octane Booster.

Anyways, I just finished up most of the install work, continued well after sundown too. Most of the work for me was finding a suitable bottle mounting location in the trunk and then removing and dropping the sump that protects the fuel lines just so I could drill the holes for the bottle brackets and then install the hardware.

Running the 16' of nitrous hose to the trunk while following the fuel lines was no picnic either since a plastic scuff plate on the underside of the vehicle had to be slightly removed and then drilled to pass the hose through. I used about 15 zip ties to safely secure the hose to the brake and/or fuel lines. Since 16' just wasnt enough I'll have to get a 90* bulkhead connector to run the last 2' of hose into the trunk and to the bottle valve.

Finding a decent solenoid mounting location isnt an easy task either but I will be mounting the nitrous/purge and fuel 'noids on Friday when I get more free time. The kit didnt include the AN fitting I need for the fuel rail side on the solenoid so I'll have to get that too while I wait for the fuel rail adapter and TPS.

Until another day.

-Dan
Old 7/14/05, 06:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the ZEX kit on order so I appreciate all of the tips and pictures. Let me know how the rest goes cause I will be doing my own install also. Did you read the article that was in MM&FF about the 10 sec run they made and the trouble they had tuning for the 125 shot?
Old 7/14/05, 07:14 AM

Nice pics, a bit too late for me though. I just finished installing the Zex kit last night about 8pm. I will be starting out at 75 hp as well but advancing with caution as I watch with data logging during spraying. What will the NX kit adjust up to on the 05 according to them?
Old 7/14/05, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Wow, thanks for the update and the pics! I enquired just last weekend about the ZEX wet kit and my tuner suggested waiting until colder plugs come out. Nice to see someone already paving the way and working out the install issues
Keep us informed.
Old 7/14/05, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

Yes, I read the article and how I understand it the problem was due mostly to not having colder plugs to run a safer tune. When I take it for tuning I may just inquire about using octane booster for more advanced timing for a larger shot. I'll probably go to 125 as long as 100 looks very safe but my kit is good till 150, just the same as the Zex kit.

If you folks with the bottle could post your pictures too that would be great.

-Dan
Old 7/14/05, 11:47 PM
Cobra Member

I just wanted to let everybody know that I think these kit provided relays are pretty much useless for my application. The 3 prong switches were not in my plan since I'd rather not use a cheap plastic switch so I have to throw out the relays and get me some 60 amp Bussman Maxi Fuses and inline holders so I can wire up a simple and direct path that doesnt use more than 1 ground in a single circuit.

It is my understanding though that the 4 wire relay is helpful if somebody plans to use a transbrake or similar application that has anything to do with launching or full throttling. Since I am planing to do neither its no issue for me.

Does anybody know if it will be detrimental to my overall performance if the bottle valve is mounted towards the rear of the vehicle and not to the front? The valve is pointed down like its supposed to be at the very least.

-Dan
Old 7/15/05, 05:27 PM
Cobra Member

Here is the corrected position of the heater element on the bottle.

And I used the black bracket already in place on the driverside tower to mount each of the solenoids; nitrous/purge and fuel. I finally had to get creative and bent the mounting brackets to be usefull at all.

I'll start on the wiring again later today. Until then.

-Dan
Old 7/15/05, 07:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the info and the pics. I appreciate you paving the way. I'm very interested in getting nitrous, just not sure how to do it and how the engine will hold up.

Thanks again!
Old 7/21/05, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Big Update!

This is where the Purge will eventually shoot, just like a snorting horse. I had to order a 3 AN T fitting to split the steel braided nylon hose and I'll be picking that up and also a 3 AN 1/8" Steel fitting for the Purge Solenoid tomorrow to complete the circuit.

My missing 4 AN 1/8" fitting still hasnt arrived so I havent finished installing the supply line from the Zex 05 GT Fuel Rail Adapter to the Fuel Solenoid. Hopefully tom. :crosses fingers:

This is the Zex TPS that I decided to use since I had to order the Fuel Rail Adapter from them anyways. Its programed by the touch of a button instead of NX's set screw.

And lastly, here is the custom switch panel that I finally painted. The black booted toggle operates both system standby/bottle heater and the Purge Solenoid. The red covered switch is the "Go-Baby-Go" after WOT and 3500+rpm are both achieved.

-Dan
Old 7/21/05, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

only thing i dont like is the mounting position of the nitrous bottle
Old 7/21/05, 11:55 PM
Cobra Member

I have more plans for the trunk so this was about the best mounting position available to me. In the end I will be getting a custom carpet for the trunk's floor so it all looks halfway decent for a show car.

-Dan
Old 7/23/05, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Cleveland@July 21, 2005, 11:58 PM
I have more plans for the trunk so this was about the best mounting position available to me. In the end I will be getting a custom carpet for the trunk's floor so it all looks halfway decent for a show car.

-Dan

Remember the bottle has a tube in it that runs to the bottom of the bottle. The goal is to have the bottom of the bottle toward the back and lower than the valve end so under acceleration you always have a supply of nitrous.
Old 7/23/05, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by comp orange 04@July 23, 2005, 9:03 PM
Remember the bottle has a tube in it that runs to the bottom of the bottle. The goal is to have the bottom of the bottle toward the back and lower than the valve end so under acceleration you always have a supply of nitrous.

thats what i was getting at

the siphon tube runs down and toward the back

general rule is label up and valve end of bottle towards front of car
Old 7/23/05, 10:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Are you saying you are not using a WOT switch? Why not?
Please tell me the thread size of the nozzle threads and I will tap mine the next time take the JTL off. Thanks
Old 7/23/05, 11:13 PM
Cobra Member

The TPS is the WOT switch. I gave my instructions to a friend of mine so he'll know what he's getting into when he installs his next week so I cant recall the drill size you'll need to port the pipe.

-Dan
Old 7/24/05, 12:13 PM
Cobra R Member

OK OLD dumb me. If I ever get mine rnning as it should this is my next plan.
Old 7/24/05, 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I like the look of your setup, very nice.
Old 7/24/05, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice setup Dan!!!

But, I can't believe you would sacrifice a cupholder for it.
Old 7/24/05, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

No sacrifice at all, its completely removable. It only lays across the top and fits snug.

-Dan
Old 7/27/05, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

And at last the bottle is filled and the system purged.

My dyno tuning appointment is set for 10-11:00 on Friday and the Test and Tune session at Sacramento begins @ 5:00pm so I'll have plenty of time to get dialed in.

Wish me luck and I hope to see some of you from the region there. I'll be the red GT breaking into the 12s fairly easily, hopefully.

Anyways, here is the final installation pic and the purge video.

http://snt-systems.com/temp/mustang/nx_purge.avi

-Dan

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT On Nitrous