GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: Which polished Intercooled Twin Screw?
Whipple HO 2.3L
35.42%
Kenne Bell Big Bore 2.6L
64.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

2.6L Kenne Bell or Whipple HO?

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/06, 05:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.6L Kenne Bell or Whipple HO?

Well, the time is here to choose. Do I get the polished Whipple HO 2.3L intercooled kit, or the polished Kenne Bell 2.6L Big Bore intercooled kit?

I'm leaning towards the Kenne Bell right now since it's
Bigger
Spin slower for same amount of boost
Lower IAT Temps
True Cold Air System
bigger 12" filter (9" for Whipple)
IAT sensor upstream of inlet
Billet case
Cost less than the Whipple, around $600

But of course, it's got the filter low behind the front bumper, so I'm worried about sucking up water, though I'd have to be about a foot deep in water to really be in trouble.

I really like the Whipple too, and the fuel pump that comes with it, and it looks great, like it was suppossed to come on the car from the factory. WHipple also comes with spark plugs, but I can buy some HTO's for the KB. The Whipple also has a bigger intercooler, but since it's sucking in more hot engine compartment air, it probably needs it.

Has anybody got any pics of a polished Kenne Bell on a +05 Mustang? I've seen lots of the black ones, but haven't seen any polished.

This is going to be a daily driver, might got to the track a handfull of times a year, looking for 450hp on a safe 93 tune give or take a couple, no changes to stock block. pretty much just the S/C kit for power mods.

I'll be putting in the order on Monday, so let me know your opinions and help me spend my money on the right one.
Old 10/20/06, 05:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Whipple vs Kennebell

I've narrowed my choices down to those 2 so I hope you get some good solid responses on a favorite and why.
Old 10/20/06, 05:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Why have you eliminated Saleen? I've been considering the JDM Saleen package.
Old 10/20/06, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

You definitely do not want the 2.6 KB because it requires a minimum of 15 # of boost to work properly. It is designed as a race kit. The 2.4 is more along the lines of what you are looking for. (450+ RWHP is easy with the 2.4). Don W runs a KB so he can tell you all the specifics.
I personally think the Whipple is a more complete kit. With the fuel upgrade and the larger intercooler I would think these will prove to be a better daily driver. The main thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the crazy "Slide Whistle" noise it makes. The KB does have distinct disadvantages IMO (You listed the CAI placement, but several people think that is the best option). If I want to be whistling I may go turbo instead. The KB and Saleen are better choices for a sleeper.
Old 10/20/06, 09:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by wsmatau
You definitely do not want the 2.6 KB because it requires a minimum of 15 # of boost to work properly. It is designed as a race kit. The 2.4 is more along the lines of what you are looking for. (450+ RWHP is easy with the 2.4). Don W runs a KB so he can tell you all the specifics.
I personally think the Whipple is a more complete kit. With the fuel upgrade and the larger intercooler I would think these will prove to be a better daily driver. The main thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the crazy "Slide Whistle" noise it makes. The KB does have distinct disadvantages IMO (You listed the CAI placement, but several people think that is the best option). If I want to be whistling I may go turbo instead. The KB and Saleen are better choices for a sleeper.
I thought the 2.6 was a direct replacement for the 2.4, only better. I heard KB was even shipping out 2.6L's at no extra charge to the last few people that ordered 2.4's. According to KB, it's all better.
Old 10/20/06, 09:41 AM

There are two KB 2.6 superchargers, one is the replacement for the older KB 2.4L , the other is the new KB 2.6L HO that is recommended for a minimum boost of 15psi.
Old 10/20/06, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

You're thinking of the 2.6L High Output blower, that is the one that requires 15psi+. The normal 2.6L is a replacement for the 2.4L, it is part of their new 'big bore' design.

Me personally I would go with the KB, bigger is usually better, plus I have an automatic and Whipple hasn't released anything for the automatic.
Old 10/20/06, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking the 2.4 was the street version and the 2.6 only came in the HO (15#) version.
Old 10/20/06, 01:18 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking the 2.4 was the street version and the 2.6 only came in the HO (15#) version.

Boo this man!!!

The 2.6L is now the only option from Kenne Bell. You can get the standard "Big Bore 2.6L" or you can get the 2.6L H.O. Kit which is for a minimum of 15 psi. My tuner just posted his results from the 2.6L H.O. kit and got over 700 rwhp and 700 rwtq! I believe this was on 19 psi. Search for the thread from ChevyKiller.
Old 10/20/06, 03:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2bone123
I've narrowed my choices down to those 2 so I hope you get some good solid responses on a favorite and why.
Yep, me too!

Originally Posted by NDHESQ
Why have you eliminated Saleen? I've been considering the JDM Saleen package.
The Saleen is a great S/C, but just not for me. I don't like that you have to lower the motor, and has the intake up front, and they just seem a lot more common, and it seems the system at 4ps is a little weak, though the JDM package is really nice and gets it up to where it should be. I'd be more than happy with a Saleen, I'm sure just not for me at this time and I think later on when I get a built block, the other systems will have more to grow with, especially the KB.

Originally Posted by S197 GT
The 2.6L is now the only option from Kenne Bell. You can get the standard "Big Bore 2.6L" or you can get the 2.6L H.O. Kit which is for a minimum of 15 psi. My tuner just posted his results from the 2.6L H.O. kit and got over 700 rwhp and 700 rwtq! I believe this was on 19 psi. Search for the thread from ChevyKiller.
What kind of numbers have you gotten from you KB? Sorry, I'm too lazy to do a search.
Old 10/20/06, 03:59 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Hatchman
What kind of numbers have you gotten from you KB? Sorry, I'm too lazy to do a search.
I got 423.8 RWHP and 394.0 RWTQ...

I was at 279 RWHP and 294 RWTQ before the blower....

Unfortunately, I put out lower numbers than everyone else with similar mods....but I'm still happy with the gains...
Old 10/20/06, 04:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Can the regular 2.6L be upgraded to the HO kit later on, say after you build up your motor? What's the difference exactly? How many psi can you run on the 2.6L ?
Old 10/20/06, 04:46 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Rebel73
Can the regular 2.6L be upgraded to the HO kit later on, say after you build up your motor? What's the difference exactly? How many psi can you run on the 2.6L ?

No, you cannot upgrade. There were some pics of the 2 side by side showing the differences. The compression is way different due to design changes.

I believe the Standard Big Bore 2.6L is topped out at 24 psi, but I may be incorrect. It's rated at 950 HP, I know that. Much more than you will need if your asking this question.
Old 10/20/06, 04:52 PM
Cobra R Member

ok, sounds like the BIG BORE 2.6 should be more than enough !!

thanks
Old 10/20/06, 05:30 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Rebel73
ok, sounds like the BIG BORE 2.6 should be more than enough !!

thanks
Zackly!
Old 10/22/06, 05:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I made the decision, getting the KB Big Bore. Thanks for all the help and advice!
Old 10/22/06, 07:05 PM

Id hold off on both until the belt tensioner issue is solved

I would hold off until the belt tensioner issue is resolved or get a turbo
I have a 8psi Kenne Bell kit and Im bending belt tensioners and throwing belts
As quit a few other people are
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...ers-63011.html
Old 10/23/06, 05:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah, I've been reading that too. I heard if you grind down the tab and stick with the 6 rib belt and 8psi, there aren't as many issues, though I see you have bent two tensioners.

The trick is getting the right amount of travel with the right belt length and increasing the amount of movement in the belt tensioner by grinding off some of the tab, but not all of it.

I might go ahead and order a couple of extra belts and tensioners, just in case.

There is a $300 billet tensioner coming out that should be available soon. I won't get the install done until December, so it should be out by then.
Old 10/23/06, 06:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hatchman
I made the decision, getting the KB Big Bore. Thanks for all the help and advice!
Keep us informed as to how the install goes. Do you plan on doing it yourself?
Old 10/23/06, 05:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes, I have decided to do the install myself. I hear the KB install book is really good, and so far, I have done every mod to my car besides tune it on the dyno and tint the windows, and I figure I can save myself close to a grand in install costs, so I'm doing it myself. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Quick Reply: 2.6L Kenne Bell or Whipple HO?