GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

1st 2 days with my GT / backfire question

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/05, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far, no significant problems with shaker 500, filled up this morning w/ no issues. I think the front right shock is popping but not too bad. shifter feels like jello so i think i'm going to do the bushing stiffening mod.

gotten lots of looks, nods, thumbs up's, almost got a ticket this morning after filling up but the motorcycle copy just glared at me as i slowed down and threw my hands up...i waved "thanks" as i passed

about the backfire, it happened last night as i was pulling into the inlaws driveway. i was pulling in slowly feathering the clutch and gas and BOOM - sounded like an M80 went off right behind me. anyone ever have this happen?

oh and lastly, it's raining. i almost drove the DD into work instead
Old 7/7/05, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

I have yet to hear any complaints other than yours about backfiring... I'd go to the dealer and have them check it out. you're obviously dumping unspent fuel into the pipes. so for whatever reason, you're not getting a clean burn, which could be the computer, could be plugs/wires, it could be bad fuel... have it checke out, though.... if you back fire high up in the pipes, you can damage valves, you can blow out a cat or a muffler, or cause the baffles in them to loosen up and vibrate later on...
Old 7/7/05, 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

I have a question regarding exhaust tone. On my '98, if I revved it up in neutral, it would smoothly come back down in RPMs. With the '05, if I rev it up, sitting still in neutral, as the RPM is coming back down, it is not smooth. It is hard to explain, but the exhaust sounds a little uneven (like it is missing), almost like really high performance cars you see at the drag strip that sound they are sputtering as they come back down from high RPMs. Someone told me this was because of a much more aggresive cam and timing in the '05 over the '98. Is this true? Is this normal?

Note that there is no missing of any kind, and it is as smooth as can be through acceleration.

(Not meaning to highjack the thread, but it seemed kinda similar)
Old 7/7/05, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let's rev 'em side by side!
Michael
Old 7/7/05, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by blackened@July 7, 2005, 11:14 AM
So far, no significant problems with shaker 500, filled up this morning w/ no issues. I think the front right shock is popping but not too bad. shifter feels like jello so i think i'm going to do the bushing stiffening mod.

gotten lots of looks, nods, thumbs up's, almost got a ticket this morning after filling up but the motorcycle copy just glared at me as i slowed down and threw my hands up...i waved "thanks" as i passed

about the backfire, it happened last night as i was pulling into the inlaws driveway. i was pulling in slowly feathering the clutch and gas and BOOM - sounded like an M80 went off right behind me. anyone ever have this happen?

oh and lastly, it's raining. i almost drove the DD into work instead
I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but . . . could it have been an M80? It is the week of the 4th of July afterall.

I've never had a backfire. And I've done bad things. Well, I did have a little pop once, but that was because I had a vacuum line off.

About the rough idle/rev down . . . they didn't get 40 HP by doing nothing. That's one of the first things I noticed about the car -- it definately has an aggresive cam, at least for a factory car.