GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

18x10 deep dish bullitts won't fit the front!

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/07, 11:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18x10 deep dish bullitts won't fit the front!

They don't fit. They are like less then 1/4" too close to the strut. The 18x10 torq thrust IIs fit up front no problem, they have 7.25 backspace. The deep dish bullitts have 7.27 backspace, and this tiny bit makes the rim too close. So I don't know what to do now, go with a very thin spacer or get the 18x9s up front. They told me at the tire place I could still run the 285/40/18 tire on the 18x9 rim. I don't want it to look weird though, since I'm running the same size tire out back. The other problem is the chrome deep dish bullitts are on backorder from americanmuscle.com. Anyone know where else to get them?
Old 3/31/07, 11:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The rim or the tire's edge is 1/4" away from the strut? Why would they ever get closer while driving?
Old 3/31/07, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
The rim or the tire's edge is 1/4" away from the strut? Why would they ever get closer while driving?
The tire could get closer under load as it flexes. But I'd guess he's referring to the wheel itself. If the wheel is within a 1/4" of the strut I'd bet the tire will rub. I'd go with a spacer as long as there aren't any other clearance issues (rubbing the liner while turning?). I personally would run 9s up front, but that's just me. I like the staggered look.
Old 3/31/07, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can run a 275 wide tire on a 9 1/2 inch rim up front with no issue. You might try that. And RobK is correct... tire flex will make it rub.
Old 3/31/07, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

i have run the 285s up front, so i am going to run them on the 9" rim. the actual 10" rim fit, but with the tire on it, it would be touching the strut. with the torq thrust IIs, there was just enough space for the tire. they never rubbed.

does anyone know any place that has the deep dish bullit in chrome, 18x9 in stock? the place i got these from is out of stock. (american muscle)
Old 3/31/07, 05:12 PM

I noticed the same thing (American Muscle was back ordered on the DD chrome bullitts). So I ordered mine last Monday from Discount Tire Direct. Their number is 800-589-6789. The guy who helped me was Craig (extension 186). He was very knowledgable. Included chrome acorn nuts and valve stems.

I think this is the wheel. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...1054&tc=REPBUL but you should verify before you buy because I was not looking at their site at the time of purchase.

I asked him why their site doesn't say "deep dish" and he said they are deep dish in my desired size. He said the term "deep dish" is just some marketing hype that some vendors chose to put on their site and that the important measurement for deep dish is the lip and he swore these were deep dish. Offset, backspace, bolt pattern are all the same as American Muscle. The photo on the site does not look like deep dish because the same photo is used for different wheels of different dimensions, some of which are not deep dish.

I did 18x9 in the front with 255/45 Nitto 555 extremes and 18x10 in the back with 295/45. Going for the old school, big rubber look. Hopefully the chrome won't look like too much bling with vista blue.

I just checked the UPS tracking number and everything is due at my house on Monday (4/2) so if you want to wait a couple days, I'll let you know what they look like or maybe snap a pic for ya...
Old 3/31/07, 09:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MustyOne
I noticed the same thing (American Muscle was back ordered on the DD chrome bullitts). So I ordered mine last Monday from Discount Tire Direct. Their number is 800-589-6789. The guy who helped me was Craig (extension 186). He was very knowledgable. Included chrome acorn nuts and valve stems.

I think this is the wheel. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...1054&tc=REPBUL but you should verify before you buy because I was not looking at their site at the time of purchase.

I asked him why their site doesn't say "deep dish" and he said they are deep dish in my desired size. He said the term "deep dish" is just some marketing hype that some vendors chose to put on their site and that the important measurement for deep dish is the lip and he swore these were deep dish. Offset, backspace, bolt pattern are all the same as American Muscle. The photo on the site does not look like deep dish because the same photo is used for different wheels of different dimensions, some of which are not deep dish.

I did 18x9 in the front with 255/45 Nitto 555 extremes and 18x10 in the back with 295/45. Going for the old school, big rubber look. Hopefully the chrome won't look like too much bling with vista blue.

I just checked the UPS tracking number and everything is due at my house on Monday (4/2) so if you want to wait a couple days, I'll let you know what they look like or maybe snap a pic for ya...

Definitely post some pics!!
Old 4/2/07, 12:01 PM

Got my wheels/tires today... Having trouble posting the pics. Will try again after this note.

Everything looks great and arrived in good shape. The wheels look just like the DD bullitts seen on other sites like American Muscle. The fronts are definitely deep dish with the inner lip looking to be about 2 - 2.5".

I called Discount Tire Direct to let them know I was a happy customer, etc.

I also heard a rumor that American Racing is suing the wheel manufacturer of these DD bullitts claiming they're a copy of AR's Torque Thrusts. And therefore, there is a cease and desist order on the manufacturer and no more DD bullitts are being created until this is resolved. (don't know if this is for chrome only or what)This is why American Muscle is on back order and others as well. Discount Tire Direct still has some in inventory but they will run out too. So if you think this is the wheel for you, you might want to call them quickly. I can't vouche for the rumor. But I can tell you I'm happy with the wheels and their service.
Old 4/2/07, 12:08 PM

here's a couple pics. No car to put them on yet. It's being built this week.

Quality looks good. No blemishes in the chrome or anything. It was 7 days from order to delivery.

That dark curved line in the center cap is not a shadow. It's the design. It looks okay (better than some other manufacturer's logo) but I'll probably order some pony center caps.

Now if my car would just get here. Did I mention it's getting built this week?
Attached Thumbnails 18x10 deep dish bullitts won't fit the front!-front.jpg   18x10 deep dish bullitts won't fit the front!-front-lip.jpg   18x10 deep dish bullitts won't fit the front!-back.jpg  
Old 4/2/07, 12:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MustyOne
Got my wheels/tires today... Having trouble posting the pics. Will try again after this note.

Everything looks great and arrived in good shape. The wheels look just like the DD bullitts seen on other sites like American Muscle. The fronts are definitely deep dish with the inner lip looking to be about 2 - 2.5".

I called Discount Tire Direct to let them know I was a happy customer, etc. They told me that they had heard a rumor that American Racing is suing the wheel manufacturer of these DD bullitts claiming they're a copy of AR's Torque Thrusts. And therefore, there is a cease and desist order on the manufacturer and no more DD bullitts are being created until this is resolved. (don't know if this is for chrome only or what)This is why American Muscle is on back order and others as well. Discount Tire Direct still has some but they will run out too. So their advice was to call quickly if you think this is the wheel for you. I can't vouche for the rumor. But I can tell you I'm happy with the wheels and their service.

Glad I got mine when I did...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2606775
Old 4/2/07, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

DOPE! i called discount, they have them, just ordered a set. no i dont have to wait 2 months for american muscle.