GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

1,2,3,D, Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/06, 06:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I push the OD off button on the wifes car when I'm pulling our 26' camper. :dance:
Old 1/26/06, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 26, 2006, 8:24 PM
It may be annoying, but is it bad for the tranny??? I still say no. That was my point.
im not gonna re-read my posts, but i dont think i said it was bad for it. i just don't like puching the pedal a bit to get no acceleration, then pushing a little more and having it pop into 4th and snap me back. it's nice, but gets old fast
Old 1/26/06, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by atomic_il+January 26, 2006, 6:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomic_il @ January 26, 2006, 6:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>im not gonna re-read my posts, but i dont think i said it was bad for it.[/b]

No, you didn't... but, ManEHawke implied it was.

<!--QuoteBegin-ManEHawke
@January 25, 2006, 9:26 PM
Having O/D off is for when you are in the city, so the transmission doesn't have to shift from 4th to 5th all the time. This is when you are going about 40ish mph. This constant up/downshift motion is not good longterm, so turning it off when you won't be going over 45 is good practice.
Many times at that speed you will hit 5th gear for a second, only to stop and have the tranny downshift back down to 4th anyway.
[/quote]
Old 1/26/06, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Using the overdrive off button feature to drop from fifth to fourth gear while exiting an interstate to the offramp, helps slow your car down without having to use your brakes as often. Also, if you have driven in some of the hills of West Virginia, I have used the 3rd gear to let the engine do the braking to keep from overheating the brakes on some stretches of road that your car will run away if you try to coast. So it's not always about the acceleration, but also is beneficial for slowing down.
Old 1/26/06, 08:29 PM
FR500 Member

When I had my g-timer, I tested this by doing multiple runs with the tranny in D and then runs where I shifted it myself. It is no faster at all to shift it yourself. After installing the XCal with Doug's tune I tried this again and actually had better times letting the tranny drive itself. But when the car was stock... it's just as fast (although not as fun) to just keep it in drive and let the tranny do it's thing. And there has been talk of actually hurting your tansmission (of course, this would be over a long period of time) if you shift an auto yourself all the time. Not to mention, anytime you do shift it yourself and then try to drive in "D", the tranny will need to relearn the shift points and that can take a little while. The 1,2 & 3 were put there to let you drive in lower gears manually for specific purposes... I'm sure it wasn't done like that to shift the car yourself from first to fifth. So, my advice is just drive the car in "D" and if you want to shift youself, get a manual.
Old 1/26/06, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jaxxon@January 26, 2006, 8:21 PM
Using the overdrive off button feature to drop from fifth to fourth gear while exiting an interstate to the offramp, helps slow your car down without having to use your brakes as often. Also, if you have driven in some of the hills of West Virginia, I have used the 3rd gear to let the engine do the braking to keep from overheating the brakes on some stretches of road that your car will run away if you try to coast. So it's not always about the acceleration, but also is beneficial for slowing down.
This is primarilly why I manually drop out of "D" and down to 3rd, for engine braking.....and highway on/off ramp merging. I went through a phase where I thought that dropping down to 2 and 1 (in the City of course) would help but it don't. And like a few have said, the upshsift from 1 through 3 is really touchy. This auto knows what it's doing so except for the above, let it do it's work.
Old 1/26/06, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Jaxxon@January 26, 2006, 10:21 PM

I do this when i dont want to use the brakes at 140mph... but usually from 5th to 4th
Old 1/26/06, 10:04 PM

Thanks guys for all the help! :worship:

Now I don't have to worry about it and I'll just let the auto do what it was meant to do.

Oh, and Rocky from Weslaco, you've got Cobra rims on right, because I think I've seen you around. Man your car looks awesome. And if it's you on the stmc website with the DARK SIDE OF POWER signature, I think that's the coolest ever. :worship:
Old 1/26/06, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 26, 2006, 1:27 PM
Once again, I pretty much have to agree with Dan. I hardly ever turn O/D off. If it is so hard on the trans to shift all the time in city driving, why would Ford engineers design it that way? Wouldn't they be begging for a crapload of failed transmission warranty claims if it hurt the tranny? About the only time I'll turn O/D off is if I am driving on a twisty road, and constantly changing speeds and braking. But other than that, I leave it alone.

And I definitely do not manually shift the car at the track. That's just dumb, IMO. Leaving it in D ensures that my car shifts at the exact same rpm every single pass (mine is set at 6250rpm), and I never even have to worry about the rev limiter (well... except during burnouts ).

But... TCS if off much more than it is on... LOL
Same hear,t/c off and let the trans shift just leave it in D.
Old 1/26/06, 10:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I just said it isn't good longterm. I don't see anything wrong with a bit of preventive maintenace on having the transmission work less.
I don't have an auto or it's specs (at the moment) that the gov valve allows the shift to 5th w/o interference from the TV pressure (your foot on the gas), but I said generally speaking at around 40 mph it will shift to 5th. (maybe it's at 35, I'll check tomorrow)
During city traffic you may see 35-40 mph for a brief second and I just said that the transmission can shift to 5th, only for you to slow down to get a downshift to 4th. If you can prevent that little shift/downshift and keep the transmission running in a single gear longer where it deals with pressure (heat) less frequently then wont you agree it will last a bit longer?
Sure it may seem like it's no big deal, but a bit here and there adds up to a tranny that will last a little more than the next guy's. Nothing to fear I'm not saying your going to grenade it after 5k miles.
Most everyone here races their autos, so I guess that little tip is almost useless to someone who keeps the tranny and converter at high pressures for a long time.

Just had to backup my ignorant opinion.
Old 1/26/06, 10:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 26, 2006, 1:27 PM
Once again, I pretty much have to agree with Dan. I hardly ever turn O/D off. If it is so hard on the trans to shift all the time in city driving, why would Ford engineers design it that way? Wouldn't they be begging for a crapload of failed transmission warranty claims if it hurt the tranny? About the only time I'll turn O/D off is if I am driving on a twisty road, and constantly changing speeds and braking. But other than that, I leave it alone.

And I definitely do not manually shift the car at the track. That's just dumb, IMO. Leaving it in D ensures that my car shifts at the exact same rpm every single pass (mine is set at 6250rpm), and I never even have to worry about the rev limiter (well... except during burnouts ).

But... TCS if off much more than it is on... LOL
At the track o/d on will give you more mph,i have stock rear end and have the trans sat up to shift at 6400 and can run 13.4s at 104 mph. in the 1/4 with stock rubber.In town i some times shift the trans just to play with it but do not take o/d off.A ford engineer told me the trans will take it with out failing so manually shift or just put it in D and let it go. HI DON W
Old 1/27/06, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MustangJr.06@January 26, 2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys for all the help! :worship:

Now I don't have to worry about it and I'll just let the auto do what it was meant to do.

Oh, and Rocky from Weslaco, you've got Cobra rims on right, because I think I've seen you around. Man your car looks awesome. And if it's you on the stmc website with the DARK SIDE OF POWER signature, I think that's the coolest ever. :worship:
hey thanks man...yeah thats me on stmc...

btw, if you want to get an idea of what kind of numbers your stang is putting out, a bunch of us will be at Sanolis in Mission tomorrow (Sat) from 10am to 2pm. $40 gets you two pulls plus a/f ratio. Theres a thread about it on STMC...

This would be a good way to measure what your running now, before you put in any mods. Give me a shout on STMC and I'll try and answer any questions you may have...
Old 1/27/06, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by acadian@January 26, 2006, 10:32 PM
When I had my g-timer, I tested this by doing multiple runs with the tranny in D and then runs where I shifted it myself. It is no faster at all to shift it yourself. After installing the XCal with Doug's tune I tried this again and actually had better times letting the tranny drive itself. But when the car was stock... it's just as fast (although not as fun) to just keep it in drive and let the tranny do it's thing. And there has been talk of actually hurting your tansmission (of course, this would be over a long period of time) if you shift an auto yourself all the time. Not to mention, anytime you do shift it yourself and then try to drive in "D", the tranny will need to relearn the shift points and that can take a little while. The 1,2 & 3 were put there to let you drive in lower gears manually for specific purposes... I'm sure it wasn't done like that to shift the car yourself from first to fifth. So, my advice is just drive the car in "D" and if you want to shift youself, get a manual.

Im not sure how accurate your gtimer is but with real track equipent at moroso, it is faster. keep in mind that if you have a tune all you have to do is adjust your shift points. When the car was stock the shift point is around 5900, when i shifted myself around 6300 it shaved .3 of the 1/4 time. but now that i have my tune i have it set where i want it so no need to shift it. Its not FASTER shifting, it just allows yo uto keep the car more in the powerband.
of course this is only at the track
Old 1/27/06, 11:17 AM
FR500 Member

Good to know, ren. Yeah, this was only on the street and I got basically the same times shifting myself and not. Once you have a good tune though (which I'm sure anyone racing at a track would have a tuner at the very least), it would really be pointless to shift it yourself. A good tune will have the shift points just right.