Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Viper backed down from challenge

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/05, 12:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by tekman13@January 18, 2005, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Rich,January 18, 2005, 12:00 AM
I would gladly take a Cobra and a hot chick (or better yet a Ferrari 575 Maranello...i like the car and don't care if u dont, so keep it to yourself) over a pointless race that Stevie Wonder could have judged the winner of.

ROFLOL

HAHAHA
Old 1/18/05, 12:57 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Alright I've been biting my tounge but... first let me say I agree with all of you that Street Racing is stupid and I turn down a lot of challenges when the conditions are way too dangerous and when I do go at it on the streets, it usually isnt a full race, it is usually a sprint off the line to see what the cars have got, after that it pretty much becomes a drivers race especially the longer it goes and the even match ups that do go a while I still usually back down after a bit and hardly hardly ever let it go past 80 MPH, no point, just trying to have fun and if it means letting the other guy brag about winning versus saving the car and possibly our lives so be it, but this Sunday with the Viper the roads where wide open and no one in sight for miles (literally) I know this doesnt make it idiot proof but it was the best conditions it was going to be, and both the Viper driver, his girlfriend and I were joking and messing with each other with our words, (sorry if I miss lead with the original post) and he was laughing but said he just wasnt feeling it, although he was reving at the light, just for laughs in response to my challenge, I poked fun at him in good humor and than we parted ways, I was really just looking to have a quick jump off the light and shut it down on the other side of the intersection, not a real quarter mile drag, I know I would lose, but I also know some people just cant drive theyre cars, Ive beaten an M3 in my 98 V6 because the guy obviously couldnt shift through the gears. As for him not wanting to because there was no challenge, there has been many times were I will jump someone at the line just to put them in their place and shut it down because its done (conditions permitting), as for all of you, to preach like none of you have ever drove fast or raced, for shame, I have seen several threads where a lot of you who are coming down on me right now have posted that you either have gotten this car to high speeds (just as dangerous even if not racing) or have killed some dumb ricer to put him in his place, or just have street raced. You know you all have done it and enjoy it or else lets face it you wouldnt have bought this car. You would have some big lumbering safe SUV or gas saving Honda, but you bought a fast Muscle car. I still think the guy was a yuppy having a mid life crisis, but that was more becuase of my impression with him as I looked at him and talked to him and not just because he wouldnt race, but I seriously dont think he takes it to the track or has ever taken it over 70, there are several yuppies like that were I live that buy these cars to look young and it does the opposite, I hate it, I cant stand seeing a car like that in the hands of someone like that, its sad to me. Thats why I think the mustang is so great it says so much about the person owning the car, they tend to be a free spirited, fun individual, who loves cars. To sum up though, all of those who have never street raced before, go ahead and continue posting, but to all others (and be honest with yourself: dont make me have to go and track down your other posts to catch you in a lie) just stop with the bashing, because you know you've done it. Thanks.
Old 1/18/05, 12:57 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by tekman13@January 18, 2005, 2:19 PM
He likes Vipers's...
Affording it is more like it.

Yep, midlife crisis... must be a beach.

Old 1/18/05, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I agree with rrobello. I know exactly what street he was on...and I can tell you its totally open. Why would you by a car that is that fast...and not show it every once and a while. He didn't buy it for the comfort level, thats for sure.

Yes, street racing is dangerous...and if I had a fast car like that...I would show it from time to time.....but I wouldn't get a car like that. I would be afraid of getting it impounded.

You guys seriously need to take a chill pill and laugh at the fact that the guys girl tried to get him to run...and he still didn't. quit the bashing. seriously...
Old 1/18/05, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Richard, I pretty much agree, and let me say...sweet 05, that is almost exactly the car I'm going to have...
Old 1/18/05, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Shea@January 18, 2005, 2:11 PM
Richard, I pretty much agree, and let me say...sweet 05, that is almost exactly the car I'm going to have...
thanks so far Ive added the Steeda Triax Shifter and deleted the mufflers which sounds great, I need to update my Sig
Old 1/18/05, 01:18 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here in San Antonio, 3 weeks ago 3 teenagers died street racing. The person racing them was arrested.

The road was wide (6 lanes) and empty (it was early).
Didn't do them any good.

http://www.ksat.com/news/4006107/detail.html

You don't know what young and impressionable person is reading these threads so be careful what you glamorize/encourage/tolerate
Old 1/18/05, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@January 18, 2005, 3:04 PM
I agree with rrobello. I know exactly what street he was on...and I can tell you its totally open. Why would you by a car that is that fast...and not show it every once and a while. He didn't buy it for the comfort level, thats for sure.
Maybe he only shows it against competition that's worth the time.
Old 1/18/05, 01:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by AFBLUE@January 18, 2005, 2:21 PM
Here in San Antonio, 3 weeks ago 3 teenagers died street racing. The person racing them was arrested.

The road was wide (6 lanes) and empty (it was late).
Didn't do them any good.

You don't know what young and impressionable person is reading these threads so be careful what you glamorize/encourage/tolerate
Let me guess, it was on Military Drive near Brooks.

Edit: Didn't realize that the article was there, not on Military but there has been plenty of street racing there.
Old 1/18/05, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by rrobello@January 16, 2005, 11:37 PM
On my way into work today, I pulled up behind a brand new SRT-10 w/ a hand made snk bitn license plate, when the light changed I pulled up on its right at the next light and looked over at him and his hottie wife/girlfriend and told him his car was sweet and then asked if he wanted to race just for fun, knowing that his car would just spank mine. (now this is a perfectly straight stretch of wide road with no one one it, Sundays the roads tend to be pretty empty in the afternoons around here with the exception of those that are taking out their cherry rides for a spin) He said no. I egged him on to no avail, I just wanted to see how the stang would stack up to an expensive muscle car and it wouldve been fun, but he persisted that he didnt want to race even after his chick got in on trying to pursade him to do so, anyway it didnt happen the light changed and I said fine and floored it while he slowly pulled away. What a winnie, I hate people that spend a fortune on a car to just look good in it, what good does it do to have so much power if your not ever going to use it, I know he had nothing to prove and it was obvious he would win, but cant you just have fun, isnt what this type of cars are for. Anyway, I think a forfit should count as a kill, so add a Viper to the list.
Just shows how mature he was, does'nt it? Was she his wife/girlfriend? Don't know do you? Maybe he was with someone that he was'nt suppose to be with. That would look good in a police report, now would'nt it.
Believe me he knew what he was driving. Who knows, you might get lucky and meet him again, minus the wife/girlfriend.
Old 1/18/05, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by AFBLUE@January 18, 2005, 2:21 PM

The road was wide (6 lanes) and empty (it was late).
Didn't do them any good.

I agree it doesnt make it idiot proof and the safest thing in the world, but I was more intersted in firing them up seeing what they had launching off the line and shutting it down, and you can see each direction for a minimum of 1/2 mileat the intersection we were at so if we wrecked it would be because of idiot driving on our parts and wouldnt have hurt anyone else, not that I am willing to die. But I would prefer myself than hurting others, after all it would be my decision. And I had a kid die in my arms a couple of years back that was hit by a drunk driver, not racing but bad car accident, so I have seen it first hand and dont encourage it, but having fun every now and then I do indulge in, its like a drug, kind of need a fix every so often, and the real crappy thing is down here that they just closed the local track here in Carlsbad and that leaves us with Qualcom once a month on Friday night, and you have to wait forever and ever and ever to race some chump in a stock Civic on a 1/8 mile track, not to mention I work Friday nights. The local government needs to do something to support local legal safe racing on a track somewhere and make it available.
Old 1/18/05, 01:33 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Sorry, I had my facts wrong. It was 0930, not late.
Old 1/18/05, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Merlot@January 18, 2005, 2:26 PM
Was she his wife/girlfriend? Don't know do you? Maybe he was with someone that he was'nt suppose to be with. That would look good in a police report, now would'nt it.
LOL I didnt think of that... I guess hes off the hook
Old 1/18/05, 01:39 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by AFBLUE@January 18, 2005, 2:36 PM
Sorry, I had my facts wrong. It was 0930, not late.
Hmm, it says they are high school kids, guess they had better things to do than go to class.
Old 1/18/05, 01:41 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow. you saw a viper on the streets that right there would make my day

althoug i did once see two vipers at once, one after the other, like a convoy, but with only two. that was a good day.
Old 1/18/05, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by future9er24@January 18, 2005, 2:44 PM
wow. you saw a viper on the streets that right there would make my day

althoug i did once see two vipers at once, one after the other, like a convoy, but with only two. that was a good day.
are you serious... than you should come hang out down here one day or in Laguna or something, youd crap your pants, better than car shows, thats why the only car show I like going to is SEMA, the others open to the general public usually dont have anything I dont see on the roads on a daily basis. Or perhaps you should come with me to my friends work, he is a mechanic for Symbolic and his dad owns the company, but I was there yesterday for example and they had about20 of those new Lotus Elises, 10 Murcialagos, 1 with the engine yanked out it was HUGE, Bentlys up the ying yang, Royls Royces galore, antiques, Bugatis, Race Cars (indy and GT: Had a Viper SRT-10 Competition Coupe) Ferraris (had the new F430: fun car, wouldnt let me sit in it at the LA Show so I drove it yesterday), tons of crap. I like the old antiques myself the others are common place, you wouldnt believe how many of these rich yuppies that buy these car just completely trash them because they dont know how to drive them and it is too much for them to handle. Perfect for this post actually, wasnt my intention. But they had a Murcialago the other day that the owner ran off the road, literally ripped the front drivers side wheel (not tire) completely to shreds. It was like a can opener tore it apart, and the wheel well had grass and mud caked into the metal, they had to replace the whole front end because the grass wasnt just stuck on it, the grass, mud and rocks actually tore through the fender. Sheesh Yuppies.
Old 1/18/05, 02:40 PM
dke
Bullitt Member

rrobello (et al),

Just because we've all done stupid things, doesn't mean we can't grow up and admit they were stupid, or say that we've wised up. That isn't hypocritical, that's called maturing (learning from experiences). Of course it doesn't mean we wouldn't race -- just that we do it FAR more rarely, and aren't as excited to brag about letting our egos get the better of our brains. That isn't meant to be preachy, just the voice of reason/wisdom. (Those that take my rebukes too serious, are letting their egos get in the way again).

So the issue for me isn't that you wanted to race. Not THAT big a deal (though not something I'd brag about too loudly -- more admit to). But I was responding because you/others, were badmouthing the guy that had the better wisdom, or accusing him of being a poser because he wouldn't act like a teenager at every light, or because his arm-candy double-dog-dared-him.

And just because his GF/Wife was teasing him doesn't change anything (unless you're more machismo than brains). I had a girl try to get me in a fight once -- guess thought it would be cool to see some guy get his bum beaten over her. I told her if she's so hot on it, then she can fight the dude, and I'd put ice on her bruises later. She wasn't so hot to risk her own skin. The guy and others thought I was chicken-poop, which just showed their maturity -- I just don't see any fun in icing sore spots, and knowing that you put some guy(s) in the emergency room, or spending time at the police dept. for assault. Like I'm supposed to feel like a real man because I can beat a neanderthal senseless, who didn't even have the good sense to avoid fights? (already not much of an intellectual match). 99 out of 100, I'll make the smart choice. And even when I slip up, I'm not going to pound my chest or mock the guy that makes the wiser choice. (More smack my head saying, "stupid, stupid, stupid").
Old 1/18/05, 02:47 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by dke@January 18, 2005, 4:43 PM
... if she's so hot on it, then she can fight the dude, and I'd put ice on her bruises later...
Old 1/18/05, 03:12 PM

dke:

Its one thing to have done stupid things and then learn from them, but I was speaking more to those bashing here and than posting elsewhere about races they did on the streets recently in the 05, not a year ago or 20 years ago when they were a stupid kid. Just the ones hating on this thread and then going over to the thread on "what is your most ridiculous challenge" and posting that yesterday they smoked a guy in an integra. Like I said, if you are one who doesnt race yourself and has an opinion against so be it, go ahead and state your opinion, but for those that still find themselves serving up a whooping on the streets to someone challenging them or indulging in a little street fun every now and then, they should not be coming down on those that do. And I wasnt bragging, I wouldve been if I did race the Viper and won, but instead I was being jovial and posted something that was meant to be taken lightheartedly (not racing and dying, ut the challenge of a Viper) and have a little fun, the guy in the Viper was smiling, he just didnt race, and thats cool, we were all just having fun on the street that day and everyone should take a deep breathe and relax everynow and then.
Old 1/18/05, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I wish mommy and daddy would stop fighting!!! Can't we all just get along?

Quick Reply: Viper backed down from challenge