Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Subaru WRX STi vs. S197 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/07, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An STi has a higher POTENTIAL performance, though that potential will be harder to achieve, especially as compared to an slushbox Stang (point in right direction, mash right foot, steer straight). And the STi really isn't intended for the drag strip anyway, being designed for a much more broad-band performance envelope rather than short off-the-line bursts of speed, thus drag times are an overly narrow indicator of an STi's impressive and broad performance potential.

As for advertised performance numbers, most manufacturers tend to be very conservative on these. What if Ford says the Stang will do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and you only could get it to do it in 5.5 seconds? You'd be screaming bloody murder and demanding a full price recall and free surf and turf dinners for a year. But if you did it in the more likely 4.9, you'll think yourself a driving genius and that Ford built a special ringer just for you, with all the incipient warm and fuzzy feelings. Its much better, and safer from a legal/recall standpoint, to under-promise and over-deliver power and performance numbers. Remember the '99 Cobra fiasco?
Old 3/15/07, 01:38 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
On the twisties or hitting the no pedal, no contest and the tougher the going gets, the better the Subby would do. Simply a better chassis that is more highly developed.

Better chassis...no...better suspension and brakes yes.
Old 3/15/07, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Knight
Well, without splitting semantic hairs, whatever bits that allow it to do so well in the other 359 degrees of the performance envelope beyond dead ahead (steering, brakes, suspension, AWD system, wheels, tires, etc.).

Love it or hate it, it is an extremely well developed, engineered and contented car that is a very serious and capable performance car deserving of respect if not necessarily desire (a shame there aren't more blind rally-driver wannabes, these STi's would sell by the millions).
Old 3/19/07, 10:12 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
forgot to add AWD, AWD trumps all, although RWD with traction control/stability control ain't to shabby.

Still though, AWD is in much the same catagory as an SMG with me, yes these allow you to extract every last bit of performance out of a vehicle, but what a boring machine they make. Combine the two and I'd say it offers about the same thrill as a video game set on easy. No skill involved just a cheat button that allows you to get a high score.
Old 3/21/07, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
It needs some work, but I don't think it looks that bad.

With a German accent, "It looks like it could fly" or "Vat das dis do?"

"It sucks in air"

"It is definitely sucking"

They are not bad but too over the top for my taste.
Old 3/21/07, 01:55 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
STi owner here....

Back to the actual subject of the thread, the two cars are too different to compare in my opinion. For myself, I live in Michigan, drive the car year round and have two small children that have to get in and out all of the time. I chose an STi because it is a 4-door, gets decent gas mileage (I average 24mpg because I tend to drive fairly spirited), has a 5-star crash rating, etc, etc. The AWD with a set of high performance snow tires is incredible in the winter. Can't say that about a rear wheel drive car. It handles like a go kart. The performance is very impressive for stock. I took it to the dragstrip twice (for a total of 4 runs down the 1/4 mile) and ran a 13.12sec @ 103mph for my best time. 60ft time was around 1.70-1.80 range. My worst time was 13.30 something. This is at around 800 ft elevation on a day that was upper 70 degrees and a 5 mph wind. There were alot of late model street cars there that day and the only one faster than me was a Z06 Vette that ran consistant 12.90-13.00's.

The car has alot of cool features, such as programmable shift light, manual intercooler sprayer, adjustable differential control (changes anywhere from the stock 65% rear / 35% front bias to an even 50/50). As far as the tranny, a few early WRX 5-speeds had problems, but this 6-speed seems pretty strong to me. Plus I have been very impressed with the reliability of it. My past two daily drivers have been Subis (the '05 STi and a '02 WRX) and I never had to take them in for warranty work or nothing. Only had 1 recall and that was for a seat mounting bolt. Bought mine new for $31,000 TTL out the door.

Anyway, both cars are impressive and both have their +/- points. Hope my opinion might give a little insight on these cars. If I had the money, I'd have a late model '05-'07 Stang to replace my '96 as a toy, but my funds are strapped.

Old 3/22/07, 04:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the write-up. Very cool features on the STi

cool car too
Old 3/27/07, 11:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still not working hard to buy a japanese compact sedan with a bunch of stuff bolted on it. I couldn't see having a long-term love affair with it, other then running them from the dealer down the street for lunch, the novelty wears off quickly.
Old 5/2/07, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

And you are kinda stuck with 2.5L with the STI so you end up adding hp you end up using race gas when you can equal power in the mustang on pump.
That's my opinion also. Why start with low displacement, then stress the hell out of a motor just to make decent power.

I'm not saying STIs are bad cars, I think they are great... just not my style so much. They definitely have my respect and wouldn't be surprised if one blew my doors off.

Oh btw, my coworker has a normal WRX and the thing handles great. Err, I should say it "feels" like it handles great, I don't know if it actually does according to the books. I just feels very light and nimble and flat going around curves. Much more so than my (old) S197 with Roush stage 2 suspension.
Old 6/7/07, 03:54 PM

Or with Stickers.
Old 6/11/07, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

And you are kinda stuck with 2.5L with the STI so you end up adding hp you end up using race gas when you can equal power in the mustang on pump.
I agree with this. I don't like the idea of putting massive stress on an engine.

If you are going for high horsepower via modding, I think it is better to use less boost on a higher displacement car.

If you're keeping your warranty... get whatever car is faster from the factory.
Old 6/11/07, 11:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

That is funny, I reread this thread again not knowing that I had read it before and I replied to the same message that I replied to before. Heh.