Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Nissan Maxima 3.5 Comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/05, 11:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember I told you about my crappy 0-60 times and lag? Well I took in my GT for the popping struts issue and was given a Nisan Maxima as a rental for the day by the dealer. My understanding is that the car is equiped with a 263 Hp 3.5 liter v6.

Ok now this is what pissed me off, when i drove the thing it was about as fast and accelerated the same than my GT. In fact the gear changes were smoother the tranny wasn't loud and the suspension was very smooth, smoother than the highly touted re-designed 05 suspension. What gives?

Last time I took it in for the lag thing the said it was normal, now that the struts are done I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer. Something's not normal. From what someone said they were getting 0-60 in 4.9 seconds on their auto GT. Also, after I got it, i noticed stepping on the throtte was worse, like stepping on it would freeze the rpms for a second or 2 and then the car would violently shift and rpm's would blast up. But still no power, it felt like an encapsulated snail. Ya know besides the great re-design, I've really been un-impressed with my 05 since I've had it, like it's not making me happy the way it should. I've had the strut thing, the gas tank thing, the cd-player thing, the lag thing, the rattle thing, and the strange noises under the suspension like clunk sounds and the noisy tranny shifting thing. I can't believe after spending $35,000 I drive a cheapo rental that is built better and rides smoother. It blows my mind.
Old 7/12/05, 11:15 PM
V6 Member

Sorry guys, I didn't want to rant and on and put down our beloved car but see where I"m coming from. I'm 21, spent my entire life savings on this car thinking it'd be the best thing since sliced bread from all the reviews, and traded in my awesome 2003 silver mustang v6 convertible that was tons of fun under the sun for something i thought was leaps and bounds better, and now a convertible later, 0 in the bank, and not impressed with the car, u can see why i'm a little disappointed.
Old 7/12/05, 11:20 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Sorry to hear Rinaldo
Don't give up on the Mustang though. Demand another one to replace it, but for goodness sakes dont give up on it!
Don't forget that it is in its first year of production, so there might be a couple of dinks here and there.
Old 7/13/05, 12:51 AM
Cobra Member

Hmm, playing with a buddy from work (has the a new maxima 3.5V-6)who got a considerable jump on me, I passed and waved at him. He tried at the next light, same result. It was all in fun but I didn't have to get too crazy to smoke him. Nice car though, I like them. So something must be wrong with your car if it feels weaker than the Maxima.
Old 7/13/05, 01:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Those maximas start around 30K...they are not "cheapo-rentals".
Old 7/13/05, 10:30 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my Pony - lots...

But this throttle lag issue with the autos bugs me....

I recently had to drive a rental for a few days - an 05 Audi A4 1.8 with the six speed auto - it was sweet - you can drive it normally - or kick the shift lever over to the right into a seperate notch and run it through the gears manually - and its like a 'slapstick' - you tap in UP to upshift and tap the lever down to downshift. WAY fun to drive lemme say - I would kill to have that in my Stang.

I really did miss my car though

Anyway, I usually drive around town with the OD OFF and find it more responsive - leaving it on and driving on surface streets... I just can't see how Ford could find that throttle lag acceptable when you have to shift lanes quickly and get by someone - you really need to consider manually shifting if you want to move with authority.....

Has anyone (Alternative Auto?) broken through the Spanish Oak throttle lag wall so we can drive out autos the way they SHOULD drive??...
Old 7/13/05, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the manual and have experienced no throttle lag here, must be in the autos has there been a TSB on this yet??

Matt
Old 7/13/05, 10:49 AM

I agree with 05 Windveil, I have a manual and have experanced zero lag. I have a buddy with a 04 3.5 altama (SP?) which has the same motor as the maxima 265 hp. I have no issues leaving him in the dust.
Old 7/13/05, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

From what I have read it is only in the autos. Mine has it and it is terrible. This is my number one complaint of the whole car and I let them know it at the dealer and on the customer satisfaction surveys I've completed.

Can't wait to get a little more money together and get the CAI and tune.
Old 7/13/05, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can't you flash the ECU?? or am I wrong? (just trying to help out a little)

Matt
Old 7/13/05, 11:04 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by 06GT@July 13, 2005, 12:38 AM
Those maximas start around 30K...they are not "cheapo-rentals".
Theyre actually priced inbetween 27,500 and 29,750
Agreed though, that it isnt a cheap-o rental
Old 7/13/05, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

My parents have a 3.5 Altima and My dad has driven almost every kind of Mustang and he cant really tell a big difference between it and a Mustang GT. I'm sure that they will trade you if you want. The Altimas and Maximas are in a whole different class than the Mustang though. If I had a family I would have to have a 3.5 Altima.

One of the reasons my parents got it is because you can fit a carseat and another person in the back easily. The other is that they have no patience. They couldnt wait two months for the 05 to come out.
Old 7/13/05, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

The spike in the RPMs is usually cuz the auto is downshifting to get my power, cuz u stepped hard on the gas.
Old 7/13/05, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I had an 03 altima 3.5 se. I was running low 14's with just intake/exhaust and heavy 18's. my new mustang is fast but not much faster than my altima partly modded. See my other thread (friendly race) The altima has a great transmission. I decided to get the mustang cause I don't have any kids. In the future I would consider getting a nissan again. The VQ engines are nice v6's. I did have the same lag in my altima that I have with my mustang but there was a tsb on it and it was fixed at the dealer..some ecu thing. I will go to the track next month and if I don't get high 13's stock I will be upset.
Old 7/13/05, 01:46 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Burke0011@July 13, 2005, 10:33 AM
you really need to consider manually shifting if you want to move with authority.....
You should have bought a stick to begin with... Autos take the fun out of driving.
Old 7/13/05, 01:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Burke0011,

Your lag is NOT normal. I have driven two auto GTs (about 80 miles on the first and about 60 on the second) as well as two manual GTs (about 40 miles on the first and coming up on 4600 miles on my Baby!). The auto DOES have a slight amount of lag compared to the manual but it is SLIGHT. If yours is hesitating 1 to 2 SECONDS before it reacts, you have a problem. Well, you CAR has a problem. You need to go test drive a few more autos and see how they behave. I bet you will find they are a LOT better than what you have described.

Of course, if that is the case, then you need to find a dealer that will actuall LOOK at the problem and go from there.
Old 7/13/05, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Then mine is Abby Normal also. Because the delay on mine is just as bad as Burke's, a good full second or so.
Old 7/13/05, 02:49 PM
Cobra Member

Spend $50-70 to get it dynoed to make sure you are putting down at least 250 to the wheels.
Old 7/13/05, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by cambostang@July 13, 2005, 1:48 PM
I had an 03 altima 3.5 se. I was running low 14's with just intake/exhaust and heavy 18's. my new mustang is fast but not much faster than my altima partly modded. See my other thread (friendly race) The altima has a great transmission. I decided to get the mustang cause I don't have any kids. In the future I would consider getting a nissan again. The VQ engines are nice v6's. I did have the same lag in my altima that I have with my mustang but there was a tsb on it and it was fixed at the dealer..some ecu thing. I will go to the track next month and if I don't get high 13's stock I will be upset.
My parents Alitma is also an 03. What kind of intake/exhaust did you have,and was it an auto or a manual?
Old 7/13/05, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the berktechology intake(awesome) from berktechnology.com and I had stillen mufflers with my resonator and crimped section removed(altima has crimped section after huge resonator i think for nissan to downplay hp compared to maxima) replaced by 2.25" straight pipe to the Y. I ran a best of 14.22..consistent 14.3 with aftermarket 18" rims with 235/40's. here's a video of a run I had...click here

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima 3.5 Comparison?