Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Mustang GT vs. Dodge Charger R/T

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/05, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by socalfitz@June 9, 2005, 1:28 PM
Let me add a twist that I should have done originally. Anyone with a GT put kid seats in back? I would have to occassionally, not every day. This was one item that had me looking at the charger option.

-socalfitz
I have a 3 year old daughter that rides in it all the time and she loves it. I have a one week old son that will get his first ride in a couple months. Sure it's more difficult to get them in but it's a sacrifice I was willing to make to get the car. It's a sacrifice that I don't regret, especially since as soon as I pull out of the driveway my daughter starts saying "Daddy, go faster" . Now if I could just get her to understand the whole speed limit thing........

Jason
Old 6/10/05, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Radman@June 10, 2005, 7:11 AM
... since as soon as I pull out of the driveway my daughter starts saying "Daddy, go faster" .
There's a stretch of road in Atlanta that you can actually go fast?

And I hear ya! "Is mommy's car fast or daddy's car?" "Daddy's!!!" *squeal*
Old 6/10/05, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AFBLUE@June 8, 2005, 9:18 PM
Your budget is bigger than mine (+50K for a V-Series).

I'd rather spend 10K less on a Chrysler 300C SRT8 (well actually I would buy a GT500 if I was going to spend $40K)

Couldn't agree more...$40k for the Cobra...where do I sign!!!

Jay
Old 6/10/05, 07:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1@June 10, 2005, 7:36 AM
Why are these cars being compared? They are completely different cars, one is a 2 door sports car, the other a large 4 door sedan. The Charger should be compared to a Nissan Maxima, Toyota Avalon, Ford Five Hundred, ect...
Mike asked us for comparisons between the two cars. I thought the Charger's interior was uninspiring. The Mustang's interior, on the other hand, honors it's heritage.

I didn't offer comparisons of the car's performance because I haven't driven the Charger (yet).
Old 6/10/05, 08:32 AM

I have the new durango and love it. I think its light years ahead of the old one. I know many who have the old style.

Originally posted by rrobello@June 8, 2005, 2:07 PM
ok aside from them turning the charger into a 4 door sedan and other opinions anyone might have on looks I think the question at hand is about the performance versus that of the GT...I drive a GT and I took a spin in the Charger the other day. The guys at the local Dodge dealership know me by know and let me try all their vehicles including the SRT10s. The area is perfect for test drives too, lots of straight aways and perfect turns and winding roads and a freeway so you can get it all in and the dealerships pretty much let you in fact with the high end cars they want you to so that you can see the performance so as you dont go overboard.

Anyway my impressions are that it is a quick well handling car for a SEDAN. I am always pleased with the Dodge products with the exception of the latest Durango that thing blows...the previous one is much better. My girlfriend has the previous RT version with the Shelby package and its sweet she also has a Magnum RT also nice. Back to the charger while it has a lot of pick me up and go and launches quit nicely and handles nicely around turns, its top end also doesnt give up on you quickly like a lot of sedans the fact remains if you are going to compare it to the Mustang GT you cant, the GT is a sports car and the difference shows I can put my car into tight turns at higher speeds and she will grip and carve that turn like butter compared to the Charger and its larger mass...the back end comes out on you easier and I found myself having to brake harder going into the turns to get to a slower speed to take it tight, but coming out of it it does move quickly (could also be that I am not use to driving it on a daily basis as I do my car.) It stops better than the Magnum but about as well as the 300C (makes sense they are essentially the same car) and the steering remains responsive when you slam on the brakes but it does take a longer time to come to a stop than the GT. Acceleration isnt as quick as the GT and at highspeeds on the freeway it doesnt have a lot of highend torque as does the GT (in camparison) it slows its acceleration quit a bit once you get to the 90-100mph mark where as with my GT I dont feel it unitl I get into the 120 range (yes I have done it) this is not to say that either car stops accelerating but they rate at which they do is slowed at these points. I do feel a bit safer in the charger at the higher speeds as it feels like you are not moving that fast, but again that is what a sports car is designed to feel like like your moving fast. And finally in the winding roads the Charger seems to be a bit awkward and ungraceful through the turns in camparison to the GT.

I should say that my GT is a stick and the charger was an auto, they didnt have a stick. Overall I was happy with the Charger for a SEDAN, but I want a sports car and prefer the GT but I do not think its fair to compare the two, it would be like comparing the GT to a Carrerra GT not the same class. I do believe that the charger will have no problem leading its class though especially after the SRT8 comes out, I would really like to see the Daytona Trim on it though. And anyone who purchases one will be happy with it, I still like the looks of the 300C and Mangnum better but thats my oppinion. And by the way the charger retailed as it sat on the lot for about 32000 MSRP and had a 5000 markup. Not worth the markup IMO, no car is but the Stang was more worth it if you paid for it.
Old 6/10/05, 08:45 AM

Anyone familiar with the MDS (Multiple Displacement System) in the Charger? Automatically switches from 8 cylinders to just 4 when cruising...uses telescoping lifters (which it disengages on 4 cylinders when cruising and "light acceleration") in addition to shutting off the injectors & spark for those cylinders (can turn on or off in 40 milliseconds).

Just curious if this is new, or is this being done currently in other engines...with what results...

Thanks!
Old 6/10/05, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

New technology based on old technology. I believe the Jag was doing it in the early 90's.
Old 6/10/05, 09:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by RED92LX50@June 10, 2005, 8:48 AM
Anyone familiar with the MDS (Multiple Displacement System) in the Charger? Automatically switches from 8 cylinders to just 4 when cruising...uses telescoping lifters (which it disengages on 4 cylinders when cruising and "light acceleration") in addition to shutting off the injectors & spark for those cylinders (can turn on or off in 40 milliseconds).

Just curious if this is new, or is this being done currently in other engines...with what results...

Thanks!
A lot of Cadillacs do that these dyas.... they call it "Variable Displacement" I think
Old 6/10/05, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Years ago (1970's)Cadillacs had 8-6-4 system that used this idea, it was awful.

When we get a car I compare everything, we test drove the Freestyle and the Mustang the same day, Mustang won.
Old 6/11/05, 12:22 PM
V6 Member

Yea I think they are compering the fact they put the "Charger" name on a car that looks like a Charger. And the fact the '05-06 Mustangs look like the 67s. Not to mention the new Firebirds look like a Auston Marton..
Old 6/11/05, 12:23 PM
V6 Member

Yea I think they are compering the fact they put the "Charger" name on a car that looks nothing ike a Charger. And the fact the '05-06 Mustangs look like the 67s. Not to mention the new Firebirds look like a Auston Marton..
Old 6/11/05, 01:24 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by stangdreamer@June 10, 2005, 8:35 AM
I have the new durango and love it. I think its light years ahead of the old one. I know many who have the old style.
I am thinking that the new Durango I drove as a rental was a dud....I've driven all of the new Hemis and for more than just a test drive and they all had way more pick me up then the Durango I drove...even the ful supercrew 1500...I am thinking the Durango was just a fluke because it stinked.....and the logo was even upside down on the back...talk about quality control....

my girlfriends has been completely modded even has a supercharger...this thing hauls hiney.