Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Mazda MX-5 (Miata) vs. '05 Mustang V6?

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/05, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering... is it a noteworthy feat for a V6 Mustang (only mods are a Coffin muffler and a K&N ari filter) to spank a Mazda MX-5/Miata?

I'm definitely not usually the type to accept a racing challenge (I value my drivers license, my continued health and well being and that of (most) other people...) but after a particularly stressful couple of weeks, this dingbat in a MX-5 pulled up next to me at a red light and started chirping his(?) tires on Wednesday night. I just couldn't help myself -- I hadn't had a chance before that to really open up the throttle and see what my baby could do. The only other time I've ever raced someone was about 7 years ago... I beat a V6 Camaro in my crapbox Chevy Celebrity wagon (man that thing could haul... completely inexplicable).

So is this completely laughable? We got up to 90-95mph or so before he gave up, about 3/4 of a car length behind me.

--=K
Old 6/4/05, 09:03 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man - he put the challenge out there - a kill is a kill.

(disclaimer - myself or the Mustang Source does NOT encourage street racing.... or smacking around doofy little cars like Miatas.... <well maybe just the Miata part....> )
Old 6/4/05, 09:10 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sure, we'll count that as a kill. Just don't take him through the twisties or you might get embarassed. That Miata is a quick little car... I wasted one on my bike once just for fun!

Nice Job

Reminds me of the April Fools joke about TheMiataSource... boy that got screwed up
Old 6/4/05, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Defiant@June 4, 2005, 10:04 PM
I was wondering... is it a noteworthy feat for a V6 Mustang (only mods are a Coffin muffler and a K&N ari filter) to spank a Mazda MX-5/Miata?

I'm definitely not usually the type to accept a racing challenge (I value my drivers license, my continued health and well being and that of (most) other people...) but after a particularly stressful couple of weeks, this dingbat in a MX-5 pulled up next to me at a red light and started chirping his(?) tires on Wednesday night. I just couldn't help myself -- I hadn't had a chance before that to really open up the throttle and see what my baby could do. The only other time I've ever raced someone was about 7 years ago... I beat a V6 Camaro in my crapbox Chevy Celebrity wagon (man that thing could haul... completely inexplicable).

So is this completely laughable? We got up to 90-95mph or so before he gave up, about 3/4 of a car length behind me.

--=K

Nice kill but why even waist your gas??? He never had a chance.
Old 6/4/05, 10:54 PM
GTR Member

Yah, it is kind of a waste, but its kool none-the less
Old 6/4/05, 11:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey you had fun and he challenged you , he was asking for it. The only thing you got to watch out for is that its not a MazdaSpeed version with turbo, I think they would beat you no problem.
Old 6/5/05, 12:14 AM
V6 Member

Yep, having both I can tell ya, on the straights it's gonna be the mustang taking names, but put them on the twisties and it's all over. The stang will sale over the edge on turns that the Miata handles like a little rocket on rails! Love 'em both.
Old 6/5/05, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by runfox@June 5, 2005, 1:22 AM
Hey you had fun and he challenged you , he was asking for it. The only thing you got to watch out for is that its not a MazdaSpeed version with turbo, I think they would beat you no problem.

Hmm, now that would have been interesting to see. I know the Mazda Speed version is quick but I'm not sure how it compares to a V6 Stang. I never really paid much attention to the times for the V6 Mustang. I guess it would all come down to the driver. The Mustangs got the torque advantage so if the driver can get a launch on the Miata it would prob win.

Still it be cool to see the out come!!!
Old 6/5/05, 03:24 PM
CME
GT Member

Originally posted by 2k5 legend@June 5, 2005, 12:17 AM
Yep, having both I can tell ya, on the straights it's gonna be the mustang taking names, but put them on the twisties and it's all over. The stang will sale over the edge on turns that the Miata handles like a little rocket on rails! Love 'em both.

Yeah I had a 1990 mx-5. It's handling was almost telepathic. It was a little down on power, but still a fun little car. Something worth noting is that two of the designers or engineers were avid motorcyclists and wanted it to feel as much like riding a motorcycle as possible. I have to agree they got close. With the exception of the power to weight ratio it wasn't far off. But to get that right it would have needed more like 500 hp and no extra weight.

Congats on the kill also.
Old 6/5/05, 03:39 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Defiant@June 4, 2005, 8:04 PM

--=K

I hate races with weiner cars. I get so sick of idiots in Hondas with mufflers and a body kit pulling up to my GT and revving thier pathetic little engines. If I race them, what do I get out of it? Am I supposed to call all my friends and tell them I whipped an Accord?