Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

ls1 vs o5 gt

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/04, 10:21 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 38special@December 7, 2004, 11:22 AM
max2000jp

Raced a GTO today, in the rain, on the Fairfax County Parkway. It was fast. In fact it was in my blindspot on the passanger side the whole time. I was ahead, but it was always there. I wonder if my tires made the difference.

I test drove a GTO and noticed the tires were not the best. The 05 GTO is supposed to be faster than the 04. I could not tell if it was an 05 or 04. I suspect an 04.
Did it have hood scoops? The '05 GTO has a functional hood.
Old 12/7/04, 10:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holderca1

I was kind of busy driving, but the gto was red with out the hood scoop. He turned right at the next light and I clearly saw the badging of GTO.

These days the front of the GTO looks like a lot of other cars so I was wondering what was keeping up with me at first.
Old 12/7/04, 10:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The '05 also has split rear exhaust in case you were to pull up behind one. I don't know if they are on sale yet anyway, I just checked Pontiac's site, it has the '05 GTO on there but it won't give you pricing or let you build one.
Old 12/7/04, 10:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 38special@December 7, 2004, 12:22 PM
max2000jp

Raced a GTO today, in the rain, on the Fairfax County Parkway. It was fast. In fact it was in my blindspot on the passanger side the whole time. I was ahead, but it was always there. I wonder if my tires made the difference.

I test drove a GTO and noticed the tires were not the best. The 05 GTO is supposed to be faster than the 04. I could not tell if it was an 05 or 04. I suspect an 04.
I am almost positive you raced a 04, since IIRC the 05's arent out yet. As for the tires, the 04 GTO's come with BFGoodrich KWDS's stock, same as your car.
Old 12/7/04, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by M1Rifle+December 6, 2004, 11:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (M1Rifle @ December 6, 2004, 11:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-f e r@December 6, 2004, 5:50 PM

Then I said he wasn't making sense, because all people in the world knows that when you said ls1 you're talking about the 98-2003 V8 f-bodies.

Maybe YOU are talking about the 98-2003 F-body, but then you are leaving out the rest of the LS1's.

I remember when the Z28 was an option number, not a car. [/b][/quote]
Quit being a smarta**, you knew what he was talking about. The LS1 camaro/transams probably still have a slight edge, but it's a much closer race than the SN95's. Out on the streets, I can see the new stang edging out some of the old F-bodies.
Old 12/7/04, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by norcalmustang+December 6, 2004, 7:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (norcalmustang @ December 6, 2004, 7:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigred0383@December 6, 2004, 6:08 PM
The Camaro never cost more than the Mustang. It always cost less and had more power in all stock forms (Z-28 vs GT, SS vs Cobra, cannot be sure on the V6s though, don't know much about them). There were several reasons for it's demise however. Many fans felt the F-Body had strayed too far from the original. It was pretty obvious that the Ford's build quality was superior to the GM's. And even if the Fords cost more, they still sold a lot more. One reason was better marketing on Fords part, and I think the other is simply that the Mustang has a bigger general fan base, and more die hard loyal customers than the F-Bodies did.

This is a great article on the topic, and if you haven't read it before, it is definately worth your time:
http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/carmudg...56/article.html
I'm not sure what you are on but Camaros have always had a higher price tag~ [/b][/quote]
Well around here I always remember the F-bodies being slighty more expensive than the Mustangs as well
Old 12/7/04, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

yea i agree with some of the first post..... The ss is too high on chevys line to compare to a gt id say v6 vs v6 ....gt vs z28..... and cobra vs SS(i would go with a steeda or something but i fear that it would stomp an ss since it is basicly a race car)
Old 12/8/04, 12:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, if it helps any, I kept up with a Camaro SS ljust ast evening. It's White with red stripes and is always parked in front of the Mr. Car Wash down the street from my home. Caught him coming out last night at close and we went even (one taking a nose here and there) for nearly a quarter mile or so before hitting the next light. I have no idea if he modded it at all, but my mods let me hang with him for a small investment on my end. I really had no idea the SS's were so formidable until reading this thread just now....makes me feel good about my work to this point, and mine's an automatic....you 5 spd guys should roast these cars with a little mod work. My wife's co-worker has a z28 and was absolutely overmatched by mine after just the rear end indtall when we raced last week... These stangs will kick more butt then people think once we have them awhile and get them dialed in :-)
Old 12/16/04, 04:28 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by bigred0383@December 5, 2004, 9:09 PM
Besides, shouldn't the comparison be between the new GT to the Z28's (or if you want to go the Pontiac route, the Formula and Trans Am without the WS6 package), and leave the top dog SS for the upcoming Cobra. That is if we really want to compare our brand new, still breathing pony to the one from across town that died a couple of years ago. Besides, it's time for F-Body owners to start housing and stop racing those cars so that in 30 years we can have good examples of the Pony Car "Wars" of the late 1990's.
Don't call the SS (Super Slow) "Top Dog" (SS, a joke in the perf world)
The LS1 is NOT a good engine design it is junk and slow, yet, i am a FORD and ONLY a FORD guy
Old 12/16/04, 04:37 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by norcalmustang+December 6, 2004, 7:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (norcalmustang @ December 6, 2004, 7:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigred0383@December 6, 2004, 6:08 PM
The Camaro never cost more than the Mustang. It always cost less and had more power in all stock forms (Z-28 vs GT, SS vs Cobra, cannot be sure on the V6s though, don't know much about them). There were several reasons for it's demise however. Many fans felt the F-Body had strayed too far from the original. It was pretty obvious that the Ford's build quality was superior to the GM's. And even if the Fords cost more, they still sold a lot more. One reason was better marketing on Fords part, and I think the other is simply that the Mustang has a bigger general fan base, and more die hard loyal customers than the F-Bodies did.

This is a great article on the topic, and if you haven't read it before, it is definately worth your time:
http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/carmudg...56/article.html
I'm not sure what you are on but Camaros have always had a higher price tag~ [/b][/quote]
LMFAO!!!!!!!
Old 12/16/04, 07:54 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Fordracing200+December 16, 2004, 5:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fordracing200 @ December 16, 2004, 5:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigred0383@December 5, 2004, 9:09 PM
Besides, shouldn't the comparison be between the new GT to the Z28's (or if you want to go the Pontiac route, the Formula and Trans Am without the WS6 package), and leave the top dog SS for the upcoming Cobra. That is if we really want to compare our brand new, still breathing pony to the one from across town that died a couple of years ago. Besides, it's time for F-Body owners to start housing and stop racing those cars so that in 30 years we can have good examples of the Pony Car "Wars" of the late 1990's.
Don't call the SS (Super Slow) "Top Dog" (SS, a joke in the perf world)
The LS1 is NOT a good engine design it is junk and slow, yet, i am a FORD and ONLY a FORD guy [/b][/quote]
dude. no 'fesne but thats pretty arrogant. dont get me wrong, i love ford, but the LS1 is still a fast motor. and for those who wish for me to specify i m referring to mostly F-bodies. i dont care that its a chevy, its still fast.

dont assume that you car/engine is fastest just because you like it best. you have to realize that it CAN compete with out beloved ford engines. and that it is a force to be reckoned with.

that kind of arrogance, assuming your car is the best ever and that all others stink, is what gives real car enthusiasts a bad name
Old 12/17/04, 04:24 PM
GTR Member

I never said all other cars stink, but the 03 cobras will beat about n-e thing else while both being stock
Old 12/18/04, 11:06 AM
GT Member

Yes a LS1 is a fast engine, though its outdated compared to Fords SOHC's and DOHC engines. But Yes you have to give the LS1 engines some credit.
Old 12/23/04, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BullittMustang50@December 18, 2004, 12:09 PM
Yes a LS1 is a fast engine, though its outdated compared to Fords SOHC's and DOHC engines. But Yes you have to give the LS1 engines some credit.
Yes, you have to give the engines some credit. I, however, think that there hasn't been a good looking Camaro in over 30 years. The last F-Bodies were just awful looking. It's a Cavalier Coupe stretched with a bigger engine. Heck, the Trans-Am is beyond Aztec ugly. Gives me chills just seeing someone drive one of those overglorified Sunfires.
Old 12/23/04, 03:02 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Maverick128+December 23, 2004, 12:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maverick128 @ December 23, 2004, 12:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BullittMustang50@December 18, 2004, 12:09 PM
Yes, you have to give the engines some credit. I, however, think that there hasn't been a good looking Camaro in over 30 years. The last F-Bodies were just awful looking. It's a Cavalier Coupe stretched with a bigger engine. Heck, the Trans-Am is beyond Aztec ugly. Gives me chills just seeing someone drive one of those overglorified Sunfires. [/b][/quote]
to tell you the truth... i think the firebirds are pretty awesome when fixed up nice

example:
Old 1/2/05, 02:32 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by BullittMustang50@December 18, 2004, 1:09 PM
Its only antiquated (if you wanna think like that) if your comparing the valvetrain. Otherwise the LS1 is a darn good motor. Sadly its taken Ford 3 valves to do what GM has done with 2.

GM employs or employed a guy named Ken Sperry and his brother I beleive... In any event Ken Sperry is the guy who taught God a thing or two about cylinderhead airflow and it shows when you pop an LS1 cylinderhead on the flowbench. For a knuckle dragging older than moses design the LS1 proves itself where it counts. It handily leaves the 2v mod motors in the dust and is matched or possibly only exceeded by the new hemi in the 2v arena.

For the level of performance most people are likely to ever see from the factory, it doesnt matter one wit how the business end of things are done.... what matters ultimately is the hp to weight and torque to weight values the car has to deal with and strictly speaking its all about torque since torque is an actual measure of force where as horsepower is an esoteric measurement of how much work an engine can do over time and is not really related to how much force an engine can produce.

HP = torque x RPM / 5252

Then again here is another formula alot of people would do well to remeber

K.I.S.S
Old 1/17/05, 11:33 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8+December 23, 2004, 4:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thezeppelin8 @ December 23, 2004, 4:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Maverick128@December 23, 2004, 12:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-BullittMustang50
@December 18, 2004, 12:09 PM

Yes, you have to give the engines some credit. I, however, think that there hasn't been a good looking Camaro in over 30 years. The last F-Bodies were just awful looking. It's a Cavalier Coupe stretched with a bigger engine. Heck, the Trans-Am is beyond Aztec ugly. Gives me chills just seeing someone drive one of those overglorified Sunfires.
to tell you the truth... i think the firebirds are pretty awesome when fixed up nice

example:
[/b][/quote]
overglorified sunfires
Exactly, Junk That picture is one of the ugliest LS1s I have ever seen.............
Old 1/20/05, 05:08 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by swingle007@December 8, 2004, 1:54 PM
Well, if it helps any, I kept up with a Camaro SS ljust ast evening. It's White with red stripes and is always parked in front of the Mr. Car Wash down the street from my home. Caught him coming out last night at close and we went even (one taking a nose here and there) for nearly a quarter mile or so before hitting the next light. I have no idea if he modded it at all, but my mods let me hang with him for a small investment on my end. I really had no idea the SS's were so formidable until reading this thread just now....makes me feel good about my work to this point, and mine's an automatic....you 5 spd guys should roast these cars with a little mod work. My wife's co-worker has a z28 and was absolutely overmatched by mine after just the rear end indtall when we raced last week... These stangs will kick more butt then people think once we have them awhile and get them dialed in :-)
Um...just so you know, the 98-02 z28's and ss's had the exact same engine in them. The z28 was listed to have less power in the "brochure", but that just was not the case. Put those 2 cars on the dyno and they will produce nearly identical numbers. The ss was mostly just more appearance mods over the z28. In many cases the z28 actually turned faster 1/4 mile times. Just thought you would like to know.

And the LS1 is a much better engine than what most of you are giving it credit for...I don't think they put it in Corvettes just for the fun of it...and they are easily and cheaply modded with bolt ons to produce massive amounts of power.