Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

I can't believe this...

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/05, 03:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by InertialVenom@August 1, 2005, 11:06 AM
I'll be sleeping in one of them after putting up the house for sale.

Remember this... you can always sleep in your car but where you going to drive your house?

Old 8/1/05, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

It would be so much easier just to get a new wife
Old 8/1/05, 05:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by InertialVenom@August 1, 2005, 9:32 AM
So finally after almost a year of waiting , we're ready to order our stang, when one of my friends shows up last night in his brand spankin new Infinity g35 M6 coupe. While wer'e discussing the new mustang he throws the keys over, and says, have fun, take her out for a few hours. Well, wife gets in the car and she's hooked. The interior was much more "luxurious" and the power, performance handling wasnt bad either. That car has juice and comes with a lot more standard features thanthe stang. Any who,..after driving for about half an hour, and not to say half an hour of convincing that the mustang is a mustang, she's convinced but i know when the time comes,...she miiighht just change her mind. Mind you,..she's a huge stang fan as well, she's owned more than 5 stangs , and she's only 25. Here's where i need your help guys,
Throw me the specs,..kills, what ever you can, so i can show, convince the wife that the mustang is a whole lotta better deal, yeah the interior isnt as good as the infinity but hey,.....it isnt bad either.
I sat in my friend's the other day, and yes, the interior is very nice, but when he handed me the keys and told me to start her up, I was not impressed. The V6 sounded so wimpy (like a weed-whacker or something) compared to the mighty growl of my Stang. It depends on what you want, I guess. I was considering a G35 and now I'm positive I made the right choice.
Old 8/1/05, 06:16 PM
GT Member

I completely agree with you guys when you say where will i be standing with the stang in the next 5yrs. If i get a g35 now, 5 yrs down the road there has to be something better, if the wife's only concerned with how good the interior is. But my question still remains. Putting these 2 cars to the test. How much edge does the new stang has over the g35? The g35 is 6 speed, stang is 5, manual that is. I know on a stop light to stop light, gt stangers here can probably smoke the car, but what about a long run test. let's say a 1/4 mile run? Has anyone successfully "killed" a g35? The only reason im asking this is as i have been openly challenged to a drag with the friends g35. I dont condone street racing but if this ever happens it'll happen at a drag strip where it's safe. i'd haaaattte to loose, but more than that i'd hate to put the stang to shame.
Old 8/1/05, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by puffyafros@August 1, 2005, 10:45 AM
I can't believe that she's owned five Mustangs and that she's even slightly thinking about not buying arguably the best Mustang built in the past 35 years.
Not to de-rail the thread but common. 2003/2004 cobra?
Old 8/1/05, 06:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by InertialVenom@August 1, 2005, 5:19 PM
I completely agree with you guys when you say where will i be standing with the stang in the next 5yrs. If i get a g35 now, 5 yrs down the road there has to be something better, if the wife's only concerned with how good the interior is. But my question still remains. Putting these 2 cars to the test. How much edge does the new stang has over the g35? The g35 is 6 speed, stang is 5, manual that is. I know on a stop light to stop light, gt stangers here can probably smoke the car, but what about a long run test. let's say a 1/4 mile run? Has anyone successfully "killed" a g35? The only reason im asking this is as i have been openly challenged to a drag with the friends g35. I dont condone street racing but if this ever happens it'll happen at a drag strip where it's safe. i'd haaaattte to loose, but more than that i'd hate to put the stang to shame.
The g35 is about 3/4 of a second slower than the stang in the 1/4 mile. That works out to about 7 car lengths.
Old 8/1/05, 07:10 PM
GT Member

If the car is for her-----tell her which one you prefer & let her get what she wants! If it is for you give her a big sloppy wet kiss & buy yourself a new Mustang!
Old 8/1/05, 07:49 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still trying to get over the fact that your friend said take it out for a few hours and it is brand new..Aint nobody taking my brand new car out for a few hours..Not even the wife..
Old 8/1/05, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Nissan_ :notnice:
Old 8/1/05, 08:13 PM
Cobra Member

I think the G35 is a great car and if she ends up choosing it it should be a long and happy time of ownership. Of course since this a Mustang forum almost everyone will tell you to buy a Mustang, but it really comes down to whether you think the car is worth the price differential over a Mustang. If winter driving is a factor, look at the AWD drive version.

Either way, if she's happy you'll be happy and that's a whole lot more important in my book than a few car lenghts in the 1/4.

Let us know which way you go.
Old 8/1/05, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Both are good cars. the vQ engine is strong. I used to own a 3.5se altima and got a 14.22 in the 1/4mile with just intake/exhaust in auto form. it had 245hp/246tq..the new g35coupe has 298hr and 270 tq so you do the math. it's a quick car no doubt but the stang will be quicker stock for stock. they are different cars. the stang is just a brute muscle car with *****. the g35 is sleeker, more refined, business, mountain carver. it's all about what suites you more. the g35 is more expensive too when you add the options..I think they start at 29-30k and that's with no spoiler and no leather so when you add up things you really want it's at least 5k more. I love both cars but the mustang will be a classic especially with this retro redesign.
Old 8/2/05, 12:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think i'm more than qualified to chime in on this.

First, it's Infiniti. We aren't talking about stereo equipment. (which, is Infinity)

Second, there is no "M6" G35 coupe. UNLESS, he was talking about a G35 Coupe model that is 6MT. (6-speed manual transmission)

Third, interior is better, customer service is better. Performance is not as good as the Mustang GT. It has 298HP at the crank, but only around 240 RWHP. (so, quite a bit of drivetrain loss) Price will be around $35k for the base model G35 coupe, add other accessories and you'll easily be into the 38k range (which is around Saleen S281 price range). So performance and price are what you have going for you, and customer service and interior is what you have going against you. It also handles better than the Mustang GT, and more rare. The Mustang GT has more torque and low-end power.

Hope this helps, try to focus on positives for the Mustang GT and negatives for the G35 coupe...the less positives she knows about for the G35 coupe, the better chance you'll have.
Old 8/2/05, 12:27 AM
GT Member

Well, i had a chance to check infiniti's website and they do have a "m6 sport package" for the g35 coupe. The handling is a little better on the car but as someone posted here said,..the mustang is a legend. ame says it all. My main focus is on performance and i think the mustang over powers the g35.
Old 8/2/05, 12:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by InertialVenom@August 2, 2005, 1:30 AM
Well, i had a chance to check infiniti's website and they do have a "m6 sport package" for the g35 coupe. The handling is a little better on the car but as someone posted here said,..the mustang is a legend. ame says it all. My main focus is on performance and i think the mustang over powers the g35.
This?

"Sport-tuned Suspension Package $1,600.00

Sport-tuned Suspension
Viscous Limited-slip Rear Differential
19-inch 5-spoke, forged aluminum-alloy wheels with Y-rated tires
Aluminum pedals
Perforated leather and orange stitching on steering wheel
Available on G35 and Standard on G35 6MT"

The G35 has as much of a history as the Mustang (and even more), not for performance until the 90s, but has been around since the 50s (I believe, i'd have to check to be sure).

The Mustang is definitely faster in the 1/4 mile than the G35c.
Old 8/2/05, 12:33 AM
Bullitt Member

people make car purchases on impulse.. your wife just saw a G35 and said she wants it, but a few days from now she could want something totally different. and oh yeah, dont be that miserable guy driving around in the minivan because his wife made him buy it.
Old 8/2/05, 12:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

This would be hard for the non enthusiast, but seeing she is, and a Mustang one at that.
Whats to think about, get her to see the Mustang ASAP!
Old 8/2/05, 12:46 AM
Cobra Member

Your main focus may be on performance but what about your wife's? Will she take it to the track? I doubt it and on the street in traffic what difference does it really make. None, unless your ego is tied into light to light races.

In the long run the G35 may cost a little less to maintain. Chain belt drivens cams etc. I can't speak to depreciation and only you can decide what your collective wallet can bear. Just be aware that down the road you're looking at a serious hit in both these cars so factor that aspect into your decision.

Make up your minds about what you want your next car to be. If pure performance is your yardstick, go with the Mustang, especially if you want the so called panache that comes with these cars. If you want a comfortable trouble free car, choose the G35 in spite of the price.

Your choice, and your wife. Choose wisely.
Old 8/2/05, 01:27 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@August 2, 2005, 12:49 AM
Your main focus may be on performance but what about your wife's? Will she take it to the track? I doubt it and on the street in traffic what difference does it really make. None, unless your ego is tied into light to light races.

In the long run the G35 may cost a little less to maintain. Chain belt drivens cams etc. I can't speak to depreciation and only you can decide what your collective wallet can bear. Just be aware that down the road you're looking at a serious hit in both these cars so factor that aspect into your decision.

Make up your minds about what you want your next car to be. If pure performance is your yardstick, go with the Mustang, especially if you want the so called panache that comes with these cars. If you want a comfortable trouble free car, choose the G35 in spite of the price.

Your choice, and your wife. Choose wisely.

My main focus is not on performance alone, it's the overall package. Im not a usual "dragster". As far as maintainence is concerned, i don;t think my buying the g35 will be any less of a strain on my wallet than the stang GT.
Down the road, from personal experience i can safetly say that stangs are always easier to sell.

The only reason the wife had a g35 "moment" was the handling, the interior, and a few other standard options that aren;t available on the stang.
Old 8/2/05, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

You're an American? Why would you consider a car from Japan with a French connection? :bang:
Old 8/2/05, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
They are nice vehicles - refinement and pretty sharp handling response. I almost bought a 350Z (it's platform cousin) but the around-town feel of low-end torque in the Mustang counted a lot or me. Of course, I have the old Mustang platform now.

Comparing the new Mustang to the G35 coupe, I think the question is "Is the customer service experience, interior materials refinement, and slightly higher fit and finish worth the $6000 or so difference?"

It's good to see the Mustang get closer in some aspects to the G35.

Quick Reply: I can't believe this...