Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Ford And Gm Stand Proud!

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/06, 11:05 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Ford And Gm Stand Proud!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06353/747147-28.stm
Finally Some Good News about American Cars!
Please Post your Thoughts after Reading!

KC
Old 12/22/06, 11:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting.'
Nice article
Old 12/22/06, 11:32 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks for posting!
Old 12/22/06, 12:37 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
very good article.
Old 12/22/06, 01:15 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
A Lot of the Media Seems to Thrive on Puttting Down The American Car Companies! This is a Refreshing Change!

KC
Old 12/31/06, 08:05 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to sound negative or anything - OK, I'm sounding negative - but "Initial Quality" surveys don't mean sh*t.

Let's see how all these cars stack up against one another after 3 to 5 years.

And this statement is just more BS >>

After the announcement, Ford's Director of Global Quality Debbe Yeager, referring to the struggle American companies have had overcoming the perceived and seemingly untarnishable reputation of their foreign rivals, commented: "It's a perception gap."
Ummmmmmm....no, Debbie, those are REAL gaps, and you can see them amongst the acres of cheap plastic when you sit in a Mustang, because you guys are still too cheap to execute interiors properly (though to be fair, GM seems to be getting the hang of it on several models now).

Don't get me wrong, I love the Stang and am set to buy one, but c'mon, let's be realisitc here. If they're making public statements like Debbie's, they still don't REALLY "get it," and that's troubling, IMHO.

In fact, there are so many problems with that article, I don't even know where to begin.

Flame suit [on]
Old 1/1/07, 10:43 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good stuff
Old 1/1/07, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Not to sound negative or anything - OK, I'm sounding negative - but "Initial Quality" surveys don't mean sh*t.

Let's see how all these cars stack up against one another after 3 to 5 years.

And this statement is just more BS >>

Ummmmmmm....no, Debbie, those are REAL gaps, and you can see them amongst the acres of cheap plastic when you sit in a Mustang, because you guys are still too cheap to execute interiors properly (though to be fair, GM seems to be getting the hang of it on several models now).

Don't get me wrong, I love the Stang and am set to buy one, but c'mon, let's be realisitc here. If they're making public statements like Debbie's, they still don't REALLY "get it," and that's troubling, IMHO.

In fact, there are so many problems with that article, I don't even know where to begin.

Flame suit [on]
Not gonna flame you here...well, not too much! Seriously though, initial quality may not mean anything 3-5 years down the road, but it's a step in the right direction. And the problems with the American Auto Industry isn't going to change overnight with some quick fixes. I see the biggest problem with this article is that Ford and Chevy aren't promoting the crap out of it.

This is where I think that the US auto industry is making some serious mistakes. They need to play up this kind of stuff to get the American publics perception that US autos CAN compete and be as good or better than the foreign cars.
Old 1/1/07, 08:22 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Finally some good news from Ford.
Old 1/1/07, 08:29 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by PaulF
This is where I think that the US auto industry is making some serious mistakes. They need to play up this kind of stuff to get the American publics perception that US autos CAN compete and be as good or better than the foreign cars.
I disagree. Just build competitive products and people will notice quickly. The public isn't stupid.
Old 1/1/07, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
The public isn't stupid.
In today's society, unless someone goes out looking for the information, it needs to be put in front of their face or they won't realize it. People are too busy.

I can't tell you how many times I heard in the 80's and 90's how great Japanese cars were from the media. Those automakers made sure that the media knew about reliability, so that the general consumers would think quality = Japanese autos.

The US automakers need to do the same thing. It should be plastered all over the Super Bowl commericals and every big event. If people don't know how good your product is, how can you expect to sell it?

But I won't say you are wrong, they do need to build more competitive products as a whole.
Old 1/1/07, 10:16 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by PaulF
In today's society, unless someone goes out looking for the information, it needs to be put in front of their face or they won't realize it. People are too busy.

I can't tell you how many times I heard in the 80's and 90's how great Japanese cars were from the media. Those automakers made sure that the media knew about reliability, so that the general consumers would think quality = Japanese autos.

The US automakers need to do the same thing. It should be plastered all over the Super Bowl commericals and every big event. If people don't know how good your product is, how can you expect to sell it?

But I won't say you are wrong, they do need to build more competitive products as a whole.
The reality is that US automakers have been "telling us" for years how great their products are, and it wasn't true. Remember Ford's slogan for years: "Quality is Job 1." Trouble is that the slogan was BS and the products were crap.

Just build quality products. The Mustang has been heavily advertised and touted by the press. Big deal. All the ad campaigns in the world won't change the fact that educated buyers can see for themselves it has a SRA and a Rubbermaid interior.

I will agree that more reports like the ones in CR that touted the Fusion will be a big help. But it will take a LOT of those for many, many years to convert most of the buying public. Meanwhile, companies like Ford just need to concentrate on building vehicles people want to buy - and not introducting great concepts like the Interceptor and MKR that will never see the light of day, at least not in anything remotely resembling their concept form.