Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Bullitt vs Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/08, 07:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
It's unfair. They need to do the SRT8 Vs. GT500 or the Bullitt Vs. R/T. Am I the only one who sees that??
Old 5/2/08, 07:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Challenger is nice, but I would still rather buy the Bullitt...the way it performed against the Challenger, it may not have beat it in alot of categories, but it kept up. I think alot of people will be skeptical to go Mopar when considering how they compared, and not to mention the price tag for a completely newly designed vehicle...you would have thought they (Dodge) would have a base model besides one starting at 40k?
Old 5/2/08, 07:38 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They got a slow Bullitt for the comparison. Seen a couple of other Bullitt tests where they got 0-60 in 5.1.

It was an impressive write up on the Challenger. I need to hit the lottery

Last edited by AFBLUE; 5/2/08 at 07:45 AM.
Old 5/2/08, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I was reading this exact thread on BON. Edmunds is so stupid, its laughable, and here's why!! I have cut and pasted a post from BON from SVT_MAN and put quotations around it, so its not my words, and I'm giving credit where credit is due. Edmunds should just stop doing reviews now after this fiasco!! Read below for a laugh.

From BON member SVT_MAN: "http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=123327

What's even worse, and I just saw this - if you read this article, they were very positive about the Bullitt before. What they say in their initial review doesn't match up with this Challenger vs. Mustang comparo.

For example, in the Bullit review:

- Comfortable ride
- Easygoing road manners
- Fantastic engine-turned aluminum dash
- 67.2-mph trip through the slalom

In the Challenger v. Mustang comparo, they said this:

- Harsh, unrefined ride
- Live-axle
- Austere interior
- 66.1-mph trip through the slalom

They lost a whole mile per hour through the slalom? Give me a break. Unless they were done on different surfaces, that is just bogus IMO.

It's almost as if they manipulated how they looked at items to favor the Dodge ... "

They're review is pathetic!!!
Yes, I noticed that too. Edmunds was all gung ho when they did their first review of the Bullitt, then slammed it for the same things they originally liked about it when compared to the Challenger! Very strange..........
Old 5/2/08, 10:50 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
They lost a whole mile per hour through the slalom? Give me a break. Unless they were done on different surfaces, that is just bogus IMO.

It's almost as if they manipulated how they looked at items to favor the Dodge ... "

They're review is pathetic!!!
You really can't accuratly cross compare 2 tests of different days.

If the dodge would have been tested in the same conditions in the first test it might have done a 67.3mph.

When you are changing up drivers, weather, surface it is very possible to see a 1mph difference. All we know is that in equal conditions that day the challenger was faster.

But the mustang did do .01 in the skidpad so it could be that they didn't drive the bullitt as well as the challenger in the shalom. And not on purpose, i mean people are not robots there is numan error too.
Old 5/2/08, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I found the article and the video entertaining. The performance differences have no real world impact anyway. If track performance is important, you could mod the heck out of a Bullitt and have a lighter, faster (and probably less expensive) car than the Challenger.
Old 5/2/08, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe they should compare the "standard" Challenger to the Bullitt and the SRT8 to the GT500
Old 5/2/08, 04:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tacbear
Maybe they should compare the "standard" Challenger to the Bullitt and the SRT8 to the GT500
That is exactly what they should have done.
Old 5/2/08, 10:32 PM
GT Member

Now I want a Challenger SRT8 too. The numbers this car is putting up for such a hog are pretty impressive. As the article stated... wait for the 6 speed manual.
Old 5/3/08, 12:09 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bar
I'd just like to see how the Bullitt would do w/same Eagle F1 tires the Challenger had in terms of slalom, skidpad, and braking stats...in 18"s of course...
Indeed, Ford needs to make the front tires on the GT500 an option all the way around on the Bullitt and the GT.
Old 5/3/08, 02:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bob
Indeed, Ford needs to make the front tires on the GT500 an option all the way around on the Bullitt and the GT.
Are you talking about the brand, model, and size of tire? Or just the brand and model? BTW, what brand, model, and size tire come standard on the GT500?
Old 5/3/08, 02:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tacbear
Standard Challenger? You mean the Challenger R/T? I think it's the only other version with the V8. With a manual transmission those put out 375 hp and 400 lb ft of torque, should be a good race. Who would have thought we'd be seeing cars like this just a few years ago...sure beats seeing a bunch of rice burners everywhere!!

Last edited by jay_wx; 5/3/08 at 03:03 AM.
Old 5/3/08, 03:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jay_wx
Standard Challenger? You mean the Challenger R/T? I think it's the only other version with the V8. With a manual transmission those put out 375 hp and 400 lb ft of torque, should be a good race. Who would have thought we'd be seeing cars like this just a few years ago...sure beats seeing a bunch of rice burners everywhere!!
Enjoy this while you can. I can't see this lasting much more than 2, maybe 3 more years.

I'm impressed with the Challenger. I might trade the Bullitt in when the RT models come out next year.
Old 5/3/08, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

The Challenger is the newest car today. When the Camaro and the retooled Mustang hits the scene later the same writers wiil be ******* the Challenger and praising the newest GMs anf Fords. Honestly for 40 grand+ I expected alot more. I bet the even new Pontiac G8 with the Vette motor will give it all it can handle and also for several $$$ less. They will sell alot more mid-level R/T's if they can keep the price under $35K. But dont forget they will still be over 4100 lbs with less HP. The Bullitt is not only the better buy between the two it is also the sharpest. Hell my '07 auto GT ran 13.5's with crappy 60ft time before I purchased a CAI with Dougs Race 91 tune. I ain't afraid of no Hemi.

Last edited by 2006stang; 5/4/08 at 05:52 AM.
Old 5/4/08, 11:20 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I think this test is unfair by a long shot....it's obviously just a headline grabber.
That being said the bullitt is the best bang for the buck stang out now. The challenger by the sheer fact it has IRS gives it better day to day road manners.
I'd love to have one of each but if I had to choose it's the chally for me.
Speed isn't everything and I don't think it would take much to get an SRT Chally to kick the crap out of a GT500. They aren't that far off in weight and with a few bolt ons i think the SRT would be a contender.
Not that it matters to me.. I want an R/T anyway and I'll be happy with that.

The G8 is a completely different animal..it will without a doubt be THE best performance car in it's class for the price. Yes the Aussie know how to do a car right. GM NA get no credit on this one from me LOL

Last edited by burningman; 5/4/08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 5/4/08, 05:42 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by newdy22
Are you talking about the brand, model, and size of tire? Or just the brand and model? BTW, what brand, model, and size tire come standard on the GT500?
Was talking fronts only, 255/45R18 Eagle F1's if I'm not mistaken. The 235/50R18 KDWS tires on the 18" GT wheels do a good job, but they stunt the handling of the car owing to thier all-season nature.

For a few shekels and some foresight, Ford could offer a very noticable improvement in handling.

Just imagine a check box for a summer tire package that offered a;

1. Lowered Ride Height (with provisions designed into the chassis and suspension to correct geometry issues).
2. Something akin to the Steeda ultra-light springs to help reduce unsprung weight
3. Suspension tuned for a bit neutrality
4. Wider summer type tires (oddly enough the BFG KDW 255/45R18's are 1 pound lighter than the 235/50R18's)
5. Wider lighter wheels to take advantage of the increased width rubber.
6. Upgraded brakes.
Old 5/5/08, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

you have to take all of these articles with a grain of salt