Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Autoguide comparison: V6 PP vs. Genesis 3.8: ouch

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/13, 01:06 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
The driveshaft is a lot different in the V-6.
Just another review with the V-6 hitting the speed limiter

Mine is off
Old 1/2/13, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be fun and interesting to see what the results would be, if someone were allowed to take that $4k-$5k difference, spend it on any parts for the Mustang, and then compare them!

Wheels, tires, adjustable shocks/struts, driveshaft, better LSD rear, intake, exhaust, tuning, cage, seats... Did I miss anything?
Old 1/2/13, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin38
It would be fun and interesting to see what the results would be, if someone were allowed to take that $4k-$5k difference, spend it on any parts for the Mustang, and then compare them!

Wheels, tires, adjustable shocks/struts, driveshaft, better LSD rear, intake, exhaust, tuning, cage, seats... Did I miss anything?
Moar NOS man
Old 1/2/13, 02:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Yep, it's too bad the V6 performance package doesn't include a new driveshaft too for another few hundred bucks.
Old 1/2/13, 06:34 PM
GT Member

Its a cute comparison but the mustang was not really up to spec like the Hyundai. I got my MCA for 25k and added my own steeda suspension mods, ebc brakes and tuner to sharpen up the throttle lag. Add a $600 drive shaft and I'm still way under 33k. I give GTs a hard time at the track. Silly import.
Old 1/3/13, 02:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746
Moar NOS man
Nawz don't help ya much on a road course!
Old 1/3/13, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

What else should we expect from an Import contender...

I mean what better way to make a name for yourself and stir the pot, then by going up against the Holy Grail of Pony cars.

Look we beat a MUSTANG...hahaha

yeah...too bad they had to use their best performance spec'd halo car to do it.
If that's that way they want to play...then lets go Topdog to Topdog.
Put that puny Geny against the Mighty Shelby 500.

And like somone here already mentiond the obvoius...
PricePoint: V6 Genes = V8 Mustang
What would you choose?

So...nice try Hyundia...but I don't think you're going to win over any Mustang or overall Pony lovers.
The funny thing is...they are actaully pulling this crap with their current compaign.
Biases or not, this review could have been paid for with foreign dollars.

And hey...theirs always the 2015 Stang...it will be close to Euro style with full IRS and all.
The Gensis will most likely be dead by that time.
Old 1/3/13, 10:15 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The V6 driveshaft isn't just there as a cost cutting measure, but as a fuel saving one as well. Any reduction in rotating mass translates into increased effciency and when more MPGs is part of your advertising schitck every little bit helps.

I agree though its unfortunate that the PP V6 Mustang is saddled with the base car's driveshaft but I suspect there are enough differences in the V8 and V6 cars driveshaft to make it cost prohibitive for what is essentially a low volume car (PP V6).

aftermarket to the rescue!!!
Old 1/4/13, 10:44 AM

Surprised a little that the PP V6 Stang still gets saddled by the weaker drive shaft, thus limiting its performance -- kind of a big obvious ***** in an otherwise pretty impressive armor. It seems that, and the engine tuning, is aimed more at pleasing the EPA than the driver. Perhaps for '14, a stouter shaft and retune of the motor would be in order.

Other than that, this really is one more reason to anticipate the '15. The S197 platform is really reaching its limits and the fresh S550 should really provide the Stang a strong leap into the future.

Last edited by rhumb; 1/4/13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 1/4/13, 11:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
The V6 driveshaft isn't just there as a cost cutting measure, but as a fuel saving one as well. Any reduction in rotating mass translates into increased effciency and when more MPGs is part of your advertising schitck every little bit helps.

I agree though its unfortunate that the PP V6 Mustang is saddled with the base car's driveshaft but I suspect there are enough differences in the V8 and V6 cars driveshaft to make it cost prohibitive for what is essentially a low volume car (PP V6).

aftermarket to the rescue!!!
Originally Posted by rhumb
Surprised a little that the PP V6 Stang still gets saddled by the weaker drive shaft, thus limiting its performance -- kind of a big obvious ***** in an otherwise pretty impressive armor. It seems that, and the engine tuning, is aimed more at pleasing the EPA than the driver. Perhaps for '14, a stouter shaft and retune of the motor would be in order.

Other than that, this really is one more reason to anticipate the '15. The S197 platform is really reaching its limits and the fresh S550 should really provide the Stang a strong leap into the future.
Not really surprising at all - the "first 300 HP car with 30+ MPG" claim is far more valuable than a top speed of 120+ for 99% of buyers who won't ever track their cars.
Old 1/7/13, 06:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Not really surprising at all - the "first 300 HP car with 30+ MPG" claim is far more valuable than a top speed of 120+ for 99% of buyers who won't ever track their cars.
All the aftermarket aluminum driveshafts for the 2011-14 V6 weigh less than the factory shaft, so there would likely be an increase in MPG's as well as Performance and higher top speed capacity.

There are many aftermarket companies already supplying parts to Ford for O.E. applications as well as FRPP parts and all of these parts were tested by Ford before putting them on a production vehicle or putting them in the FRPP catalog. So using an existing aftermarket shaft would not be taking a leap into un-chartered territory either.

Like the Genny Coupe, 2010-up V6 Camaro's with the L2T or RS Package have always had the speed limiter upped because of the higer speed rated tires, but they probably have a similar driveshaft set up as the SS, so all that was needed was a tuning adjustment. If it were as simple with the 3.7L Mustang, I'm sure Ford would have done the same from the get go.

There would be no reason for Ford to develop their own special Aluminum Driveshaft as all the existing aftermarket ones are probably superior to the factory shaft in every way already. But Ford would need to do their own testing before giving one of them the green light for a V6 option like the Performance Package. Then there would be the unique "tuning" and what kind of "price increase" there would be for this updated Performance Package. It is quite possible Ford had already looked into this and decided NOT to because of the % increase over the existing PP was more than they wanted to pass along to the consumer.

Doug
Old 1/7/13, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, I kind of rambled a bit there and never got to say what I originally wanted to say ...

MY WISH:

That in at least one of the comparison tests I've read that they would have taken a PP Mustang and just add a Aluminum DS and an 87 Octane "Street" or "Perf" tune to bump the limiter UP and see how it compares to cars without 115 MPH factory speed limiters that DID beat it before.

Doug
Old 1/7/13, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry, but you couldn't pay me to own a Hyundai. The company basically started its life as Yugo's slightly-less-hideous sister. No thanks.
Old 1/8/13, 04:44 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Moving to 'Which is Better' section, but will leave a link for today . . .
Old 1/8/13, 05:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
It would not matter if the Hyundai was 1/2 the cost. its still a Korean car. Say no more.
Old 1/8/13, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
It would not matter if the Hyundai was 1/2 the cost. its still a Korean car. Say no more.
As a proud American it is my duty to refuse to purchase cars from people who eat Dogs. hahaha
Old 1/8/13, 12:05 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
The company basically started its life as Yugo's slightly-less-hideous sister. No thanks.
And 25 years later - they're 4th largest car company in the world. Only Toyota, GM and Volkswagen sell more cars than Hyundai/Kia.
That's pretty impressive.

I would still pick the Mustang over the Genesis Coupe, simply because Genesis Coupe got really expensive all of the sudden. Not that long ago the base turbo was under $22,000 and the V6 was under $25,000 ... now even the base turbo is about $25,000.

I hope Ford is not gonna do the same thing with the 2015 Mustang ...
Old 1/8/13, 02:29 PM

Perhaps, but a reputation for Mustangs trashing their drive shafts when driven in a sport'n manner will be poison for the Stang's reputation, reasonable or not. There are just too many people who will be driving their V6s over the "adequate" limits Ford's suits have deemed appropriate for the V6, especially those opting for the Performance Pack. A GT-class drive shaft should be part of that package at least.
Old 1/8/13, 02:56 PM

Perhaps, but a reputation for Mustangs trashing their drive shafts when driven in a sport'n manner will be poison for the Stang's reputation, reasonable or not. There are just too many people who will be driving their V6s over the "adequate" limits Ford's suits have deemed appropriate for the V6, especially those opting for the Performance Pack. A GT-class drive shaft should be part of that package at least.