Old 2/3/11, 11:49 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Stick..row your own baby!
Old 2/3/11, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just can't see myself buying an automatic sportscar.well I would if its a mustang

Last edited by Everett; 2/3/11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 2/3/11, 02:43 PM
GT Member

I have auto in both mustangs I own. I put 4.10 gears in my V6 and a tune from American Muscle and I'm delighted with the way it drives. There's no way I could shift 1-2-3 up and down as fast as the auto does. The gears took care of the lag and it runs smoothly at highway speeds. It's ready to pounce at any speed. The auto and manual are both six speeds now. Test drive both and get what you like best.
Old 2/3/11, 04:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Itravelalot
The answer to this question is very simple: Whatever the wife wants is what is best.
That will be the day
Old 2/3/11, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kiloton10
I haven't even done my intro post yet but I wanted to share a story about auto vs manual. (my "new" leftover 2010 is a manual)

I bought a new 2005 Pontiac GTO when I was stationed in Oklahoma City and it was an automatic. I tried to convince everyone that an automatic muscle car was fine and would show them the 1.9 60 foot 13.2@105 run as proof that loading an automatic on the line is better for the strip.

So one day I was coming off a highway ramp with the traction control off and going to make a fast sweeping left on a 90 degree turn onto a four lane road behind Tinker Air Force Base. I held pretty good speed and about mid turn I applied some (not nearly all) throttle at about 25-30 mph. Unfortunately the automatic decided now was a good time to grab first gear and the car attemtped to reverse directions as the tail came out under the cornering load. I swung back and while looking down the road out the driver window straightened the wheels for the inevitable trip over the curb. I could have done much worse if roadside obstacles were in the way but I escaped only with a bunch of underside scrapes and a trip to Hibdon's for a front end realignment after coming to rest completely in the grass.

I apologize for the long story but after owning everything from an RX-7 and Supra to the Goat or Lightning or even the Camaros and Trans Ams and the egg shaped civic Si in my short life (32) - I have always enjoyed and preferred the cars with a manual transmission over their counterparts. I resisted buying a Mustang of any kind this whole time and I have finally been converted and all of you who prefer autos should give a true clutch operated manual a chance!
I loved the 40 mph punch (had 2.73 gears so it was about equal to the GTO's kickdown at 25-30) in the Z28. It would cut sideways going straight so I could only imagine it doing something like that in a turn.
Old 2/3/11, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Itravelalot
The answer to this question is very simple: Whatever the wife wants is what is best.
What he said. Seriously, the wife does not drive a standard and I needed Executive Management approval to get the Mustang - therefore an auto.
Old 2/4/11, 01:02 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I dont know about the new A6, but I find using the throttle to steer around a corner with an automatic to be an exercise in frustration, with a manual I just select the gear I want to go through the corner and use the throttle, with an auto I either have to downshift with the less than precise crapola factory shifter on the A5 or settle for the downshifting drama of just squeezing the gas.
Old 2/11/11, 07:33 AM
V6 Member

Manual all the way until I die. I simply do not care for automatics & every time I drive someone else's car (I don't own any automatics) I get really bored & really start to wish I was in one of my vehicles.

The GF doesn't drive stick, but she will before I'm through with her. She's already expressed interest to learn, & I taught her a little bit in my old Mach 1. I think I'll break her in with my '89 GT. That way she can appreciate the nice clutch/shifter the 2011 has.
Old 2/11/11, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

How do you rip rubber in an auto. I looked at 6 mustangs til I found mine. 5 speed forever
Old 2/11/11, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Everett
How do you rip rubber in an auto. I looked at 6 mustangs til I found mine. 5 speed forever
Mine is a 5-speed also but you can light em up with an auto with enough hp. My stock GTO with 400hp would roast first gear but you have to do a few steps first.

1) turn off the traction control/stability stuff

2) with your foot on the brake load the engine up with the gas until just before it starts to brake torque

3) release the brake and mash the gas to the floor and hold on

I did this on the regular with my automatic GTO at stoplights. That being said manual is still supreme. If you want a new transmission you can also do a "neutral drop" with an auto. Hold the gas to the floor in neutral then put it in drive while floored and hold on lol! Note: Neutral drops sheared my transmission mount in half on my old 1986 Trans Am.

Last edited by Kiloton10; 2/11/11 at 10:51 AM.
Old 2/11/11, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kiloton10

Mine is a 5-speed also but you can light em up with an auto with enough hp. My stock GTO with 400hp would roast first gear but you have to do a few steps first.

1) turn off the traction control/stability stuff

2) with your foot on the brake load the engine up with the gas until just before it starts to brake torque

3) release the brake and mash the gas to the floor and hold on

I did this on the regular with my automatic GTO at stoplights. That being said manual is still supreme. If you want a new transmission you can also do a "neutral drop" with an auto. Hold the gas to the floor in neutral then put it in drive while floored and hold on lol!
I have a new edge. So without f/I I am screwed. The new ones are unreal tho.... Maybe once I hit the lottery
Old 2/11/11, 03:23 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Automatic? What the **** is an automatic?

I wouldn't know what to do with my left foot if my car didn't have three pedals.

Manual 4ever.
Old 2/11/11, 05:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
auto ftw
Old 2/12/11, 04:10 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
It boils down to whether the one's feminine or the masculine side is the dominant one.

Old 2/12/11, 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
stick with out a dobt FTW
Old 2/18/11, 08:02 PM

My 'Stang is an auto, but I'm actually wanting a stick. Only problem is I don't know how to drive a stick shift, but I do want to learn.
Old 2/18/11, 08:11 PM
Banned

Doesn't really matter what everyone else has or prefers!! It's simple do you want to shift the gears or not??

Last edited by Guest123; 2/21/11 at 08:48 PM.
Old 2/18/11, 09:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Owned A mazdaspeed 3, 6speed, for 3 years.. i loved it, wife hated it.. The clutch in that car was really hard to press, hince why my wife hated it. She is short, 4'11'' , so we went with auto for ease of comfort for her. I dont regret it, especially after i just put the tune in it today.. that car is insane now.. Few months though i will look to put some 3.73s in the rear end.
Old 2/21/11, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

either is fine, if it is a car I want to play with I like a stick, if it is traveling across country I like an automatic except for a semi, then I want a stick but if I drove an automatic semi I might change my mind.
Old 3/1/11, 07:50 AM
GT Member

My girlfriend tried teaching me manual in her '95 Accord...let's say that the car and I did not see eye to eye. I learned more on an '09 Focus Coupe at the Ford dealer I worked at which was nice but even in the Accord my feet and ankles felt on fire 0_o. The same happens to the right foot while driving my Crown Vic.

I'd like to get the manual down but if my feet and ankles keep hurting while doing so I wont be able to :'(. I do like how companies are making performance autos though.

Quick Reply: Auto or Stick?