Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Appearantly I'm a target now

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/04, 02:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It started the moment I drove her out of the dealer parking lot. A large Dodge pick-up came from behind, slipped beside me and began pumping the gas a bit to get my attention.

He drove along side me grinning and revving for about two blocks then floored it and sped off. I nodded and gave a grin.

A day or so later while heading to work, a early 90's accord pulls up beside me, revs his motor then floors it at green. I shook my head in disbelief.

Tonight, while driving home, a black camero 99ish sits behind me at a light and a S10 beside me, the S10 keeps edgeing up, light goes green and he's off! Then the camero zips next to me and matches speed, starts to rev (his engine sounded really good btw), jumps ahead some then slows waiting for me to catch up, then takes off again then backs down to normal speed, guess he figgured I wasn't going to bite.

I have to admit, it's oh so tempting. I'd just love to give in to my lower brain and give them a good run but lukily my upper brain pays the bills and doesn't like tickets or increased insurance rates. I don't need to beat anyone from one stop light to the next to know my car is pretty quick.

I don't have a giant wing, stickers or flashy lights on my car. None of the tell tell street racer cues, not to mention I'm 33 and look every day that old. I honestly didn't buy her for the 300 hp (I swear!) I bought her because she was beautiful and well ok yea the 300 hp maybe had a bit to do with it.

I gotta be honest, I am getting a kick out of the attention. Anyone else experiancing this and if so, have you given in to temptaion?
Old 12/30/04, 03:41 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

it took a while for anyone to challenge me...most just smiled and payed compliments or ignore it all together(chevy guys looking the other way as if the 05 didnt exist) but my first was a guy in an STi, lit him up for kill number one, second was a late model Z28 and the third and latest kill was a G35, but its still a rare experience to get a challenger or someone that thinks theyre cool but they are starting to come out of the woodwork.
Old 12/30/04, 04:14 AM
GT Member

I was thinking of getting a G35 once....

Was it the coupe or 4-door, and how close was it?
Old 12/30/04, 04:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by nynvolt@December 30, 2004, 3:38 AM
Anyone else experiancing this and if so, have you given in to temptaion?
Hey Bill, I know exactly what you mean. I had the same experience with my '96 GT a few years ago. My peripheral vision never allowed me to ignore potential contestors. However, like you, I never accepted the challenge. I know people that have DIED street racing (notice I didn't say "drag racing"). It's just dumb. You've got nothing to prove, and if you do, you're probably wise enough to save it for the track! The closest I've come to posturing on the road was reving my engine a little at a traffic light when some little rice burner with a coffee can exhaust pulled up beside me and revved his little toy motor at me. I just smiled and gave him an earful of V8 music. That easily drowned out his chainsaw... er, I mean engine! Enjoy the wheels and drive safely. Happy New Year! B)
Old 12/30/04, 05:02 AM
GT Member

I had the samething happen to me the first night i got mine, some gto person almost rearended someone trying to get my attention
Old 12/30/04, 06:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nynvolt@December 30, 2004, 3:38 AM

I don't have a giant wing, stickers or flashy lights on my car. None of the tell tell street racer cues, not to mention I'm 33 and look every day that old. I honestly didn't buy her for the 300 hp (I swear!) I bought her because she was beautiful and well ok yea the 300 hp maybe had a bit to do with it.

I feel the same as you on this point. I have had 4 other stangs and would of had a 03 or 04 mach 1 but came across the concept car and had to see what Ford would do next. It's kind of an extra that it has the 300 hp to push it along.I would be getting one if it had 265hp.I love the stangs.
Old 12/30/04, 06:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

I also bought this car because of its good looks, and because it reminded me of my old 66 Mustang. The 300hp was not necessary, but a plus The first attempt on me was a 1969 396 Chevelle, this guy wanted to race me at speed on the highway. I'm on the side of him, and he motions to me to stomp on the pedal. I had a child in the car with me, and declined his offer, but he went ahead and mashed his pedal, and I must admit his car lurched and took off very nicely - he sounded good too. The next attempt was a small import who zoomed up on the side of me on the highway - this turkey must have been gawking something awful because he darn near sideswiped me, had I not swerved to avoid him. It was either that, or he was intentionally trying to shove me off the road. In either case I jumped off an exit and gladly let him continue. I have also had many youngsters come up behind me and tailgate like crazy on the back roads. They rev their engines trying to get me to do something. For these folks I normally give them a nice paced view of my cars backside.
Old 12/30/04, 06:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by CelticCub+December 30, 2004, 5:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CelticCub @ December 30, 2004, 5:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nynvolt@December 30, 2004, 3:38 AM
Anyone else experiancing this and if so, have you given in to temptaion?
Hey Bill, I know exactly what you mean. I had the same experience with my '96 GT a few years ago. My peripheral vision never allowed me to ignore potential contestors. However, like you, I never accepted the challenge. I know people that have DIED street racing (notice I didn't say "drag racing"). It's just dumb. You've got nothing to prove, and if you do, you're probably wise enough to save it for the track! The closest I've come to posturing on the road was reving my engine a little at a traffic light when some little rice burner with a coffee can exhaust pulled up beside me and revved his little toy motor at me. I just smiled and gave him an earful of V8 music. That easily drowned out his chainsaw... er, I mean engine! Enjoy the wheels and drive safely. Happy New Year! B) [/b][/quote]
your story there reminds me of a few years ago with my friend. We were at a light in his 67 chevelle and some tiny civic with the coffee can thing pulls up and revs at us. We just looked over and laughed, light turned green, he took off we sat a second or so, then just flew past him.
Old 12/30/04, 06:52 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

People are nuts......These mustangs are like unicorns- naturally people wanna play with them.

I will never full on race someone down the highway, but if the opportunity presents, I will show em whos boss on takeoff.
Old 12/30/04, 06:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah, I know what you mean also, some two kids in a newer Chevy Cavalier pulled up and started giggling. These kids don't know what they are dealing with. They will probably be killed one day for their ignorance. Needless to say, I showed them the power of the 300HP, while hitting the rev limiter on the way...
Old 12/30/04, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Take it to your local drag strip. Get in the test and tune lanes where the rice usually is. Avoid the wet burnout patch unless you like buying tires. And make a statement.
Not only is it legal fun, you get to find out what YOU can do in a 1/4 mile.
Old 12/30/04, 07:21 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hispony, I totally agree, too many horror stories of people getting killed street racing.
Old 12/30/04, 07:27 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by Galaxie@December 30, 2004, 9:24 AM
Hispony, I totally agree, too many horror stories of people getting killed street racing.
Street racing scares me. Yesterday- I had Eleanor down in the backwoods of Alabama and was doing the speed limit(ok ok 60 in a 55)- some moroon blasted past me doing about 100- no kidding! What with all the deer, and roadside oak trees, bet it wouldn't feel too good being wrapped around one of em.

We have too many insane fools here for our own good. Funny thing is, its never flashy sports cars acting idiots(they must know they can and have no need to pose)- its always soccer moms in their caravans and expeditions wishing they weren't in hades, and stupid kids in Moms car.
Old 12/30/04, 01:05 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by sundeep@December 30, 2004, 5:17 AM
I was thinking of getting a G35 once....

Was it the coupe or 4-door, and how close was it?
it was a coupe...streets were clear ahead of us at the light...had him by 1-2 car lengths (probably more like 1.5) and was starting to pull away, but then I noticed cars up ahead in the distance so I shut it down, so did he, older gentleman...I dont like racing in stupid situation and dont feel I have something to prove that worth that risk, nor do I do it against anyone that just isnt a challenge just to shut them up, not worth my gas. But we pulled up to the light and he commented that he was surprised that it was so fast....majority of peoples comments as people not in the know dont realize how much power it comes with...everytime I tell them they are shocked.
Old 12/30/04, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by EleanorsMine+December 30, 2004, 8:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (EleanorsMine @ December 30, 2004, 8:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galaxie@December 30, 2004, 9:24 AM
Street racing scares me. Yesterday- I had Eleanor down in the backwoods of Alabama and was doing the speed limit(ok ok 60 in a 55)- some moroon blasted past me doing about 100- no kidding! What with all the deer, and roadside oak trees, bet it wouldn't feel too good being wrapped around one of em.

We have too many insane fools here for our own good. Funny thing is, its never flashy sports cars acting idiots(they must know they can and have no need to pose)- its always soccer moms in their caravans and expeditions wishing they weren't in hades, and stupid kids in Moms car. [/b][/quote]
It scares me more because of getting caught then the risk of an accident. I mean when I think street racing, for me, I think of maybe going 40-90 on a highway, which is pretty safe if there isn't traffic. But the organized street racing in cities, man, that is really stupid and that is where people get killed.

Albeit there aren't really animals out on our roads so that's a totally different story.
Old 12/30/04, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

This happens to me almost everytime I go anywhere...it is really annoying, but I can't control what other people do anyways. There has been only one Mustang trying to get me to race ( Mustang drivers seem to have the most sense when it comes to street racing ) and the others have all been imports, trucks and a camaro or 2.

Street racing kills...but I have to admit, sometimes I am more than tempted to show people my back bumper. In normal city driving, this car can be scary fast. I already know that my Mustang will smoke 99.9% of the cars on the road anyway from 0 to 80 - so why kill yourself/someone else, and loose your license trying to prove it? Take it to the track and let the slips do the talking.

Also, I wish insurance companies would make it easier to build drag strips that are not 100 miles outside of the city limits.
Old 12/30/04, 02:50 PM
GT Member

Be careful about engaging in a race with any late model diesel trucks. I have a buddy with a new Duramax 4 door and he is always talking trash about how fast it is. He told me about his exhaust and "superchip" blah blah blah. I finally gave in and we raced. He absolutely blew the doors off my 05 GT. At 100 mph he had about 4 or 5 cars lengths on me. This is a huge truck with 35's. Scary!
Old 12/30/04, 03:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by nynvolt@December 30, 2004, 1:38 AM
my upper brain pays the bills and doesn't like tickets or increased insurance rates. I don't need to beat anyone from one stop light to the next to know my car is pretty quick.

I gotta be honest, I am getting a kick out of the attention. Anyone else experiancing this and if so, have you given in to temptaion?
Wise move Bill..... I've had people want to 'see what it's got', and I just grin or when someone voices their 'wanna race?', I just respond with "No Tickets in 32 years.....don't need to start now".
Old 12/30/04, 04:00 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by legendlimetime@December 30, 2004, 4:53 PM
Be careful about engaging in a race with any late model diesel trucks. I have a buddy with a new Duramax 4 door and he is always talking trash about how fast it is. He told me about his exhaust and "superchip" blah blah blah. I finally gave in and we raced. He absolutely blew the doors off my 05 GT. At 100 mph he had about 4 or 5 cars lengths on me. This is a huge truck with 35's. Scary!
That is true and no lie. It's amazing what they're able to do with the diesel engines. I thought the 05 had torque. I saw a diesel Ram do one of the best holeshots I've ever seen. Amazing.
06 Mach 1 Diesel???
Old 12/30/04, 04:43 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They can pull houses off their foundation at idle.

THATS TORQUE

Quick Reply: Appearantly I'm a target now