Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Infiniti G37 coupe vs. 05-08' Mustang GT

hello all!!

wow!! new G37 coupe, 3.7L 330hp 6 cyl.

can the mustang keep up?????
Old 4/5/07, 08:05 AM
V6 Member

You have to remember it's an estimated 330 horsepower. Plus, with all the luxury items included it will more than likely outweigh the mustang.
Old 4/5/07, 08:19 AM
Cobra Member

its going to have way better fit/finish and luxury NO DOUBT about that.

and probably $40-43K nicely loaded.

but ofcourse im bias....love the raw-ness of the no-frills mustang GT.

and besides...i think the GT is about 320hp in reality.....stock form...

Old 4/5/07, 09:03 AM

The G37 is a definite notch or two up the scale from the Stang in terms of luxury, engineering and content ... and also price too as a result, so it really depends on what you're looking for and can pay for as to which is better. The G37 looks to be a fine car and I'd like to see one in the flesh as it seems to have the rounded styling that looks better live than in 2D pictures. In pics, it does seem a touch amorphous and only tepidly evolutionary from the previous version. The VQ motor looks to be impressive, what with 330 hp and all the new tech to keep it clean and efficient at the same time.

Mustang, of course, has that Mustang styling, character, heritage and cheap straight-line power, which goes a long ways to transcending its various weak points (cheap-feeling trim and materials, dated suspension design, thin (if growing) option sheet and overpriced SEs).

But a bit of an apples and oranges comparison here.
Old 4/29/07, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

i think the mustang is faster.
it's already faster than the g35.

the 350z and g35 are slow for their hp.
Old 4/29/07, 09:49 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
g37 will be a nicer car, but i wouldn't buy one since it cost so much more then the stang. and 30hp can easly be found in a CAI and tune.
Old 5/3/07, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by n00bstang
I found that to be true also.

I dunno about the G37, it's new styling will have to grow on me for a while, but at the moment, I kinda like the old G35's rear and maybe even front better.

What I really love is the G35 concept...

Holy crap that's awesome! Why didn't they just make that!

G37 vs. S197? Yeah, like everyone else said... the quality will definitely be better all around... performance is debatable, IMO.
Old 5/6/07, 07:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea I've driven quite a few Z's and a couple G35's. I would say in a drag def the Mustang will still be faster, but I love the G. It's def the best buy in the 35-45k luxury coupe class. I'd take the G series in general over any of the BMW 3 series(M excluded due to ridiculous pricing). I recommend them to anyone shopping with me that is looking for something a little nicer/higher end then what's in the Ford stable.
Old 5/9/07, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

The previous G35 Coupe / Sedan would definitely lose to a Mustang. Now as far as the new G37, I'm not so sure. Nissan made several changes to the new series VQ engine in those cars, and supposedly the new 350Z's (with only a 3.5L V6) are trapping 103-104 MPH stock. I would assume that the G37 (with 3.7L V6) should be able to manage around the same, even though it's a bit heavier, so that puts it into Mustang trap speed territory.
Old 5/10/07, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by n00bstang
i think the mustang is faster.
it's already faster than the g35.

Not that slow it seems, the 306 hp 350Z was neck and neck accelerating with the 319 hp Shelby GT in the latest issue of C&D (yeah, I know, C&D are a bunch of quiche-eating, French, foreign car loving, can't drive, Mustang hating, blah, blah, blah...). Figure the G37's higher weight will be balanced by the larger, more powerful 3.7 motor and I'd call it a wash too. The 350Z also was faster than the Mustang on the road course.

PS Ford really needs to expand the Mustang platform upmarket. Stretch the wheelbase 2-3inches, Pimp up the interior appointments and options, add a six speed, proper IRS and perhaps either a TT3.5 and/or Jag-based 5.0 and you have a perfect Mercury Cougar to breath some desperately needed life into the moribund Lincoln/Mercury franchise.
Old 5/10/07, 07:11 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
PS Ford really needs to expand the Mustang platform upmarket. Stretch the wheelbase 2-3inches, Pimp up the interior appointments and options, add a six speed, proper IRS and perhaps either a TT3.5 and/or Jag-based 5.0 and you have a perfect Mercury Cougar to breath some desperately needed life into the moribund Lincoln/Mercury franchise.
Man I wonder if I can hold by breath......like forever!
Old 5/19/07, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

From a drag standpoint I'd give it to the mustang. Roadcourse Got to go with the gussied up Nissan. I don't recall ya asking about fit/finish/poise so I won't comment there But ya the stang can keep up.
Old 5/20/07, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nissan taps every inch they can out of the VQ engines, and they do a great job at it. With that said, they give up more and more torque each year when they bump up the HP figures, also, from experience with working on a friend's 06 350z, its hard to get more power out of those engines without forced induction.

Where a GT can get up to 30HP from a CAI and a tune, a Z would need much more. My friend is about to give it up, and just buy a turbo kit for his with all the money he's invested into it. The G is still the best looking sport coupe in its class though, I have to admit, and Nissan is really the only Japanese company I really feel is reinventing itself every model run and pushing the throttle all the way.
Old 5/24/07, 04:00 PM

Automobile Magazine just lashed a G37 Coupe to a dyno and got rather impressive results -- 51 more rear wheel HP than the '06 G335 Coupe they tested before. They figured that to get that much power increase at the wheels, it would take an extra 63 at the flywheel for something like 356hp engine power! Infiniti is only mumbling about 330hp but haven't released final specs yet.

And as for torque, that was up to by 18 ft/lb at 500 LESS rpm and a flatter curve overall. Pretty impressive if you ask me. The article has some good output graphs for both the G35 and G37 with some overlayed comparisons too.

If the G35 was very close to a Stang GT in the straights, unless the G37 porked up horribly, it should probably take a GT, stock vs stock.

Some good videos of the dyno runs too.
Old 5/24/07, 05:16 PM
Cam Tease

**** impressive.
Old 5/24/07, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

Automobile Magazine just lashed a G37 Coupe to a dyno and got rather impressive results -- 51 more rear wheel HP than the '06 G335 Coupe they tested before. They figured that to get that much power increase at the wheels, it would take an extra 63 at the flywheel for something like 356hp engine power! Infiniti is only mumbling about 330hp but haven't released final specs yet.

And as for torque, that was up to by 18 ft/lb at 500 LESS rpm and a flatter curve overall. Pretty impressive if you ask me. The article has some good output graphs for both the G35 and G37 with some overlayed comparisons too.
More displacement is responsible for some of the gain :3.7L vs. the old 3.5L
The 2007 model's VQ35 3.5-liter has been stroked to 3.7 liters. The new engine, dubbed VQ37VHR, now has an 86-mm stroke (up from 81.4 mm) and a compression ratio that is, at 11.0:1, four-tenths of a point higher.
Old 5/25/07, 05:27 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the G35 was very close to a Stang GT in the straights, unless the G37 porked up horribly, it should probably take a GT, stock vs stock.
Unlikely. It's all about the torque, baby.

I have driven plenty of the first generation G35s. Cross-shopped them thoroughly against the Stang and was waiting for the second generation to bow for quite some time; followed its development closely.

My impressions >>

- It's more refined than the Stang, no question, though the current G35 interiors are nothing to get excited about. The new coupe's interior is virtually identical to the new sedan, however, and therefore much improved.

- It will NOT be faster in a straight line. No way, no how. Remember, too, that the Stang is underrated. The current G35 hit 60 in about 6.2 seconds; there is no way they've shaved a full second off that time given the specs for the new VQ.

- It's handling will be superior - benefits of IRS and sport-tuned suspension.

- The styling is not evolutionary enough, and is a watered-down version of the concept they showed us last year. It looks SO much like the car it replaces, that it loses points immediately, IMO. I see so many G35 coupes on the road - with their moo-cow exhaust note - and have grown quite sick of them. So while pleasant and unoffensive, the styling hardly falls into the "gotta-have-it" category. I much prefer the new 335i.

And I still think the three year-old Mustang styling has more "presence" on the road.

The first time a new G35 coupe owner pulls up next to me at a light with the intention of challenging my Stang, I'm gonna spank him but good.

"I am a child."
Old 5/25/07, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
The first time a new G35 coupe owner pulls up next to me at a light with the intention of challenging my Stang, I'm gonna spank him but good.
Lol yep It's always nice putting prissy luxo/quasi sports cars lengths behind you.
Old 5/26/07, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that slow it seems, the 306 hp 350Z was neck and neck accelerating with the 319 hp Shelby GT in the latest issue of C&D (yeah, I know, C&D are a bunch of quiche-eating, French, foreign car loving, can't drive, Mustang hating, blah, blah, blah...). Figure the G37's higher weight will be balanced by the larger, more powerful 3.7 motor and I'd call it a wash too. The 350Z also was faster than the Mustang on the road course.

but then it wouldn be near as cheap
Old 5/27/07, 05:29 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
On that note, I'd say leave the stang where its at and develop a true sports car. If GM can do Camaro/Corvette and Mopar (will it still be DCX after Cerebrus (sp?) buys it?) can do Challenger/Viper, why can't Ford do Mustang/Ah hell might as well call it a Cobra?

Forget about using the uber expensive Ford GT mechanicals, put it into a nice tight package and make extensive use of aluminum and those super steels the industry brags about.

Imagine somethng that could house the GT500 motor (this time with an aluminum block which could also be used in the Mustang) but uses a high strength steel body with aluminum fenders, hood, doors, rear hatch and roof panel along with aluminum suspension bits and a composite braking system (not the carbon/carbon stuff, but steel rotors with aluminum hubs) along with those super light composite wheels shod with something like Michelin PS2s or BFG KDs

Imagine a 3200-3300 lbs car with 500+ standard horsepower in a package costing around 50k