Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

10 gt500 vs 04 cobra vs 11+ GT vs BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/13, 08:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 gt500 vs 04 cobra vs 11+ GT vs BOSS

So I am looking to buy a car by the end of the year, for those of yall that don't know me, I've had a 2000 Mustang gt that is fairly modded for the past two years, I sold It to my little brother because I am leaving for basic training next Monday.

there is a few questions I had about the cars I am interested in, I know they all cover different price ranges.

2004 cobra:
-safe max hp
-engine and trans

2010 gt500:
-safe max hp
-engine and trans

BOSS:
-safe max hp
-engine and trans

11+ GT:
-safe max hp
-engine and trans

I have always wanted a terminator but the allure of having a new gt for few thousand more is very appealing. And with a used boss and gt500 around the same price of a new gt it makes them appealing aswell.

Tell me your guys opinions and thoughts!
Old 7/15/13, 09:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're gonna buy a car and going to basic training?
Idk, depending on the price of the Terminator, I would get that or a used Boss/GT500.
Honestly, I would be happy with a used 11-12 GT, nice base car to mod .

Last edited by shurtual86; 7/15/13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 7/15/13, 09:07 PM
Cobra R Member

NO. I will by a new car when I am sure that I will be stationed in the US. By no means am I new to mustangs or modifying them, with that being said I am ready to move up to something a little more powerful.

I am leaning towards the cobra or used gt because they are the cheapest.. lol
Old 7/15/13, 09:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by cpotts13
NO. I will by a new car when I am sure that I will be stationed in the US. By no means am I new to mustangs or modifying them, with that being said I am ready to move up to something a little more powerful.

I am leaning towards the cobra or used gt because they are the cheapest.. lol
I just read the other thread... Yeah they are the cheapest ( I have seen a terminator for 30k though, which is new GT price )
Old 7/15/13, 09:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by shurtual86
I just read the other thread... Yeah they are the cheapest ( I have seen a terminator for 30k though, which is new GT price )
I have seen most go for around 22k. Like or svt forums and so on so forth.
Old 7/16/13, 12:12 AM
Cobra Member

I take it you have a good deposit saved up? Because that E-1 pay isnt going to cut a used GT/BOSS/GT500. I'm an E-5 and theres months where I hate paying the bill for the boss lol.
Old 7/16/13, 12:31 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
I take it you have a good deposit saved up? Because that E-1 pay isnt going to cut a used GT/BOSS/GT500. I'm an E-5 and theres months where I hate paying the bill for the boss lol.
My gpa is an e9 and hates payin ANY bill lol
Old 7/16/13, 12:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
I have about $15,00 saved including what I sold my car for. I will be starting as e-3. Not a big difference I know..
Old 7/16/13, 12:49 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm just kicking around ideas. In all honesty I'll end up in a terminator. Which is hardly a bad thing. I just want to know the capabilities of the above mentioned cars. Kind of like "the best bang for your Buck type of deal.
Old 7/16/13, 02:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have seen most go for around 22k. Like or svt forums and so on so forth.
Might just be a regional thing, or because they were very low mileage ones, 6k -20k miles
Old 7/16/13, 09:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
If you can find a high serial number (i.e. not highly collectible) and decently driven (15-20k miles) Boss, I would go that route. I love the size of the SN95, but the newer creature comforts and more solid structure of the S197 make up for it. But then, that Boss is still going to be $30-35k most likely...
Old 7/16/13, 10:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
If you can find a high serial number (i.e. not highly collectible) and decently driven (15-20k miles) Boss, I would go that route. I love the size of the SN95, but the newer creature comforts and more solid structure of the S197 make up for it. But then, that Boss is still going to be $30-35k most likely...
I have seen a few for 35k.
I am mostly looking for a low milage terminator. Like under 20k. So I know I'm looking around $22k for it.

How do these cars stack up against each other?
Old 7/16/13, 10:18 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have seen a few for 35k. I am mostly looking for a low milage terminator. Like under 20k. So I know I'm looking around $22k for it. How do these cars stack up against each other?
The Conra and Boss are two different animals all together. The cobra is smaller, lighter, has IRS, and most importantly comes with a forged block and supercharger from the factory. Brutal in straight lines but still slides all around curves with a lil throttle

The Boss has a n/a motor pushing 440+ hp but the motor is completely different. Fast high revs let you really ride the power wave and the track tuned suspension is a big advantage over the Cobra

Both are two solid names in the Mustang line-up but people will know when youre in the Boss, if youre in the Cobra not as many people will recognize. But then again who cares when you can make em all disappear in the rearview with a drop of the clutch
Old 7/16/13, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

The Boss has a forged bottom end as well. If you can swing the $$, the Boss is way ahead of the Terminator in every way ( handling, build quality, and when modded equally, even power ). Even a modded Coyote ( non-Boss ) will do everything better than a Terminator. Not bashing the Terminator - I really like them - but it is what it is. Just get what you like the most while doing your best to keep it within your budget.

And thanks in advance for your service!!
Old 7/16/13, 10:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
The Boss has a forged bottom end as well. If you can swing the $$, the Boss is way ahead of the Terminator in every way ( handling, build quality, and when modded equally, even power ). Even a modded Coyote ( non-Boss ) will do everything better than a Terminator. Not bashing the Terminator - I really like them - but it is what it is. Just get what you like the most while doing your best to keep it within your budget.

And thanks in advance for your service!!

Thanks! It will be a tough decision but in a good way. Either way I'll be happy yo be back in a stang.

And you're welcome, this is really a long time coming. I enlisted as a junior in highschool so I had to wait over a year to leave for basic. Now that it is here is feels incredible.

Originally Posted by CCTking

The Conra and Boss are two different animals all together. The cobra is smaller, lighter, has IRS, and most importantly comes with a forged block and supercharger from the factory. Brutal in straight lines but still slides all around curves with a lil throttle

The Boss has a n/a motor pushing 440+ hp but the motor is completely different. Fast high revs let you really ride the power wave and the track tuned suspension is a big advantage over the Cobra

Both are two solid names in the Mustang line-up but people will know when youre in the Boss, if youre in the Cobra not as many people will recognize. But then again who cares when you can make em all disappear in the rearview with a drop of the clutch

I would love the boss, but I will see when the time comes. For all I know bill be overseas! Lol
Old 7/16/13, 10:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My vote goes for the used GT simply because it's newer and the insurance will be a little better than the other ones. I just spent that last 3 years of my life serving as a Drill Sergeant so if you would like some advice on how to make it smoothly through send me a PM. Oh and driving a GT in Germany is a blast. You can buy one once you get here through ENCS brand new with no options for around 28 tax free. Just saying.
Old 7/16/13, 10:59 AM
GT Member

All that money down on a BOSS will be a good start. Thinking of the future, that money on a 2011+ GT would probably leave you in a better financial position.
It just depends on what you think you can handle better and what prices you are getting on the others.

Good luck on your choice and in basic training!
Old 7/16/13, 11:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
What do you want to do with the car? Only for he street? Will you see drag strip time? Track time eithe auto-x or road courses?

Regarding the insurance, my insurance only went up $100/year going from my 2002 Audi to my 2014 mustang. I was surprised its only $600/year. So the older cobra may not be much of a difference.
Old 7/16/13, 12:45 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm just kicking around ideas. In all honesty I'll end up in a terminator. Which is hardly a bad thing. I just want to know the capabilities of the above mentioned cars. Kind of like "the best bang for your Buck type of deal.
Terminator will get around 600-700 hp with mods and still be fairly driveable. GT500 will get 700+ and be a better driver. Boss with a blower will also do 700hp and be a mean SOB. All comes down to how much you want to spend and how you will use the car. Best bang for the buck would be the terminator but the GT500 is a better all around vehicle. I just don't like the Shelby as much. I really wouldn't mind a blown Boss with all the other Boss crap stripped off of it. (Stickers, spoilers, wheels, etc)
Old 7/16/13, 12:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra

Terminator will get around 600-700 hp with mods and still be fairly driveable. GT500 will get 700+ and be a better driver. Boss with a blower will also do 700hp and be a mean SOB. All comes down to how much you want to spend and how you will use the car. Best bang for the buck would be the terminator but the GT500 is a better all around vehicle. I just don't like the Shelby as much. I really wouldn't mind a blown Boss with all the other Boss crap stripped off of it. (Stickers, spoilers, wheels, etc)
I mean the top of my list is terminator and gt500 due to the stock blower and power potential with just bolt ons. Probably the two bast bang for your buck vehicles.

Originally Posted by dmichaels
What do you want to do with the car? Only for he street? Will you see drag strip time? Track time eithe auto-x or road courses?

Regarding the insurance, my insurance only went up $100/year going from my 2002 Audi to my 2014 mustang. I was surprised its only $600/year. So the older cobra may not be much of a difference.

I want an all around good vehicle. For track street and drag.

Quick Reply: 10 gt500 vs 04 cobra vs 11+ GT vs BOSS