Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

05 Mustang Vs. 07 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/07, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Mustang Vs. 07 Corvette

I've been thinking for a while now to "trade-up", sell the mustang and get a Corvette. I'm not sure if its worth giving up the stang though. So I'll ask all of you what you all think. What would you do, keep the stang or trade for the corvette?
Old 2/18/07, 06:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, If you can afford it, then ABSOLUTELY 100% trade-up for it. You really can't compare the two as the performance and cost differs so much, but they are both American Icons. Go for it
Old 2/18/07, 07:02 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are very few cars I'd trade the stang for. The new 'Vette's are sweet.
Old 2/18/07, 08:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
That would be a good trade up.
I only get rid of vehicles I don't like or have owned for over 10 years.
Can't you keep both?
I can't. I only have a 1 car garage right now.
Old 2/19/07, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

Are you gonna get a Z06 like the one in the pics? If so, then definitely do it. If not... do it anyways. Your stang is nice, but those new vettes are pretty *****in.
Old 2/19/07, 07:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

If Mustang was stock, I would say trade it. But your Mustang looks so good I would keep it.
Old 2/20/07, 07:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've driven the new vette. It didn't thrill me. It doesn't feel like a muscle car anymore. I say throw a blower on and be done with it.

Also how tall are you?? I'm 6'3" and my left knee hit the bottom of the dash every shift..... To tell you the truth the new Cadillac STS-V impressed me more. 469hp family sedan, but it MOVES. 0-60 4.7sec
Old 2/20/07, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had Corvettes in the past, 3 of them..sold them all for one reason or another. They just didn't excite me like a V8 Mustang did. And yes one of them did have the power..1990 ZR-1. I never should have sold my 1985 SVO for my first Corvette, biggest mistake of my life to that point.

I would not trade my Stage 3 Roush for 2 Corvettes!
Old 2/20/07, 11:52 AM

Definitely a far better performance car all around, I'd do it in a heartbeat, certainly on any objective performance considerations. Of course, subjective considerations are one's own.

I've driven the new vette. It didn't thrill me. It doesn't feel like a muscle car anymore.
Well, I suppose it depends on whether you're looking for cheap thrills or performance competance. No, the Vette doesn't feel like a clumsy, overpowered albeit thrilling (in a semi controlled way) musclecar, its far too good for that. But the Vette really is a powerful and extremely sports car rather than a big-engined blunderbuss of a musclecar anyway.

Of course, you could always hobble the Vette with cheap, hard tires, bad shocks, jacked up but weak springs, limpid sway bars, lead bars in the engine bay for that front-heavy feel in order to get that muscle car thrill back. I think I'd keep with overall performance driving excellence, which the Vette offers in spades.
Old 2/20/07, 01:09 PM
Cobra Member

It depends on what your priorities are:

All out handling --> Corvette
Bigger engine --> Corvette
Two seater --> Corvette
"contemporary" styling --> Corvette

Ability to carry 4 passengers/more trunk space --> Mustang GT
Bang for the buck --> Mustang GT
Cheaper insurance --> Mustang GT
"traditional" styling --> Mustang GT
lower price --> Mustang GT
Old 2/20/07, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

hmm give away your mustang. to me. and get the vette.
Old 2/20/07, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it was me I would get a ROUSH 427
Old 2/22/07, 01:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys. And no I wouldn't be getting the Z06, that abit too much for my wallet (I'm only 23), would be nice though. I'm still really torn though, I just can't decide. I'm 6'-2" so the stang is pretty much a 2 seater anyway or maybe 3 seater (sometimes). I'll have to make up my mind soon though 0% financing ends this weekend.
Old 2/22/07, 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GtStallion51
Thanks for all the feedback guys. And no I wouldn't be getting the Z06, that abit too much for my wallet (I'm only 23), would be nice though. I'm still really torn though, I just can't decide. I'm 6'-2" so the stang is pretty much a 2 seater anyway or maybe 3 seater (sometimes). I'll have to make up my mind soon though 0% financing ends this weekend.
I drove by a dealership this week, and saw that 0% financing. If I didn't have kids and a bunch of money already in my car, I would have traded it in. I would never buy a Chevy but I consider a Vette a whole different animal. Cams, exhaust and a tune on those cars make them beasts. Good luck with your decision.
Old 2/22/07, 08:59 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
Definitely a far better performance car all around, I'd do it in a heartbeat, certainly on any objective performance considerations. Of course, subjective considerations are one's own.

Well, I suppose it depends on whether you're looking for cheap thrills or performance competance. No, the Vette doesn't feel like a clumsy, overpowered albeit thrilling (in a semi controlled way) musclecar, its far too good for that. But the Vette really is a powerful and extremely sports car rather than a big-engined blunderbuss of a musclecar anyway.

Of course, you could always hobble the Vette with cheap, hard tires, bad shocks, jacked up but weak springs, limpid sway bars, lead bars in the engine bay for that front-heavy feel in order to get that muscle car thrill back. I think I'd keep with overall performance driving excellence, which the Vette offers in spades.
Y'know Rhumb, somehow I get the feeling that a Mustang just isn't the right car for you. I would suggest a nice GTO, but I've seen what GTO ownership does to people and it isn't pretty. To bad Ford doesn't get its act together and offer the Falcon state's side, that I think would be a Rhumb worthy ride.
Old 2/22/07, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 2/23/07, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by bob
Y'know Rhumb, somehow I get the feeling that a Mustang just isn't the right car for you. I would suggest a nice GTO, but I've seen what GTO ownership does to people and it isn't pretty. To bad Ford doesn't get its act together and offer the Falcon state's side, that I think would be a Rhumb worthy ride.
It's close, so very, very, excruciatingly close. I love the idea of a 6-8-cylinder, RWD 2+2 sport coupe with great styling, performance, handling, balance and value. The current Stang is an immense improvement over the ancient SN95. The Aussies do seem to offer more modern and up-to-date interpretation of American and idiomatic automotive idioms, i.e., RWD V8 sedan and coupes. GM seems to be realizing that and tapping into this goldmine of automotive gems. Ford still can't quite seem to pull their head out of their arrears.

Anyway, back to the Stang...

It succeeds well in:
Performance - great 300hp V8, plenty of go and a great accompanying sound track.
Styling - Nice, clean (if you refrain from childish add-ons performance styling clichés) styling that is a nice retro interpretation of a '65-'66 fastback.
Build quality - seems to be well screwed together and reliable, will have to see how long-term durability is after they age a bit.
Price - don't cost too much, good for someone on a government wage.

But falls short in a very few, though important, areas:

Lively axle - fine for drag racing, trucks and nth degree penny pinching (I'm not into drag racing, already have a truck and am not THAT cheap). Really inexcusable not to have one, at least optionally, in a 21st century performance car.
Material finish - while a step up, interior materials are still of the cheap, hard plastic kind. Function well and look fine from a distance but disappoint up-close and personal. A $15K Rabbit or Civic does a much better job here.
Features -- little stuff, sure, but the devil's in the details. Lack of a trunk release, HIDs.
Brakes -- adequate, but that's it.
Seats -- could be a bit better bolstered to match the car's performance capabilities.
Sunroof -- for those of us who like to see the sky but don't want a convertible.

GTO is (was) a great if underappreciated car that did have many of the features the Stang is lacking (IRS, great brakes, great interior finish (this is a GM product???!)), but is let down by a miniscule trunk, good but dated styling, and a highish price. I'm still tempted by them as they can be gotten quite cheaply (well under $30K) and the Cobalt-on-steroids does give a certain Q-ship appeal. That and the thundering 400hp LS2 backed by a six-speed tranny (once the skip shift wire is snipped).

Audi TT -- show car styling, Nth degree materials in a numb, VW Golf chassis. 3.2 VR6 version is tempting, though, if overly pricey.

BMW 3-series are excellent performance cars, especially the incredible M3s which are really tempting me now that the used ones are approaching the $30K arena. But they're pricey, not only on purchase but on maintenance.

350Z -- great concept, motor and suspension let down by plump, tubby styling. If they'd only put that drivetrain and chassis in a body that was lean, sleek and muscular rather than squat, swollen and amorphous. Bulbous rear end just makes me think "diapers with a full load."

Mazda RX-8 has a superlative suspension offering both excellent ride AND handling (a rolling example of the benefits of an IRS for those who can't quite get it), great engineering and feature set (amazing specs for the price), materials, interesting and ultra smooth rotary motor and great reliability (excepting that motor recall which they have dealt with aggressively). It's let down mainly by its, well, strange styling and thirst (a lot of oats for just not so many horses - rotary motor is crying out for a good DI system).

My hope was/is that Ford does step up to the plate and offer some SE with the IRS they've been holding back on, perhaps a six-cog tranny, uprated brakes (the latter two from the GT500 parts bin) and some proper sports seats. Hopefully the incipient Camaro, next GTO and Challenger will finally give Ford a kick in the **** and force them to finally compete fully and make the Stang what is could and should be, a fully well-rounded American performance car able to take on all the aforementioned cars in any context.
Old 5/2/07, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HiRoller
I've driven the new vette. It didn't thrill me. It doesn't feel like a muscle car anymore.
Cuz it's not a muscle car, it's a full blown sports car.

Originally Posted by HiRoller
I say throw a blower on and be done with it.
A stock, base (not even Z51) 2005-2007 Corvette will beat a stock Shelby GT500 in acceleration. Shave off another .1 sec if you get a Z51. Then add another 36 hp if you get a 2008.

And when it comes to handling... well, you can't even compare them. One is a muscle car and one is a sports car.

My S197 had 420 rwhp via twin screw supercharger, 4.10 gears in the back, 285 KDW2 tires, Roush stage 2 suspension, a bunch of other goodies... and I sold it and made a deposit on a 2008 Corvette Z51, and I have no doubt that it will obliterate my old Stang in every category.

Don't get me wrong, I love the S197... love it. It's a fantasic car for the money and I would recommend it to anyone, but if you're going to compare it with a C6... well, there is a reason the C6 cost over twice as much.
Old 5/2/07, 11:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
350Z -- great concept, motor and suspension let down by plump, tubby styling. If they'd only put that drivetrain and chassis in a body that was lean, sleek and muscular rather than squat, swollen and amorphous. Bulbous rear end just makes me think "diapers with a full load."
There is a lot I like about this car. I like the interior a lot, the steering feed back is decent, as is the overall handling (I think), but I just couldn't get over how weak the acceleration felt. Still, there is an intangible x-factor to this car that gets me saying, "I am a fan of it."
Old 5/3/07, 10:45 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow bringing up the archives just to beat a dead horse that you ordered a vette.

Quick Reply: 05 Mustang Vs. 07 Corvette