From The Ford Salesman News and information directly from Ford dealers across the country. Also find a trusty dealership near you
Ford Salesmen Post Your Contact Info Here

Dealership locating a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/06, 11:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership locating a Mustang

Okay - I like doing business with my local dealership, but they just don't have the car I want (okay, they don't have ANY 2007 GT's). I found the car I want at another dealership 90 miles away. Is it a big deal for either dealership to do this trade? How does that process work?
Old 8/14/06, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Embalmer
Okay - I like doing business with my local dealership, but they just don't have the car I want (okay, they don't have ANY 2007 GT's). I found the car I want at another dealership 90 miles away. Is it a big deal for either dealership to do this trade? How does that process work?
It depends on how the dealers deal with each other and whether the local dealer knows up front if you are X plan or not. If you are X plan, don't tell them because they won't do the transfer because they will lose money in the deal as they will have to pay invoice to the selling dealer and you will get below invoice. True, the holdback might make up the difference, but your local dealer will be pissed anyway.

I've heard that it is next to impossible to do this on a Shelby because dealer A will try and do ADM to dealer B!

In my opinion, I would just drive to the guy who has the car that you want.
Old 8/14/06, 07:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plus, with doing a dealer trade, if the dealer who is getting you a car, has to buy it directly from the other dealer who has the car, and that dealer who is giving up the car, doesn't want anything back (they don't have to swap cars), like Flash said above, the dealer purchases it at invoice, but without swapping a car, there IS NO holdback. It is lost. I have done many a dealer trade, and the check I take to the dealer to get the car, the check is for the exact amount.

Only if you actually swap cars, is the holdback still there (in parts). With the way business is, and most dealers overloaded with inventory, most do not want a car back. Good luck in getting your car.
Old 8/15/06, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

We did a mock build and a 600 dealer search. Nobody had the car I wanted, and those that were close were missing something I dearly wanted. So, today we're ordering it!
Old 8/15/06, 11:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We did a mock build and a 600 dealer search. Nobody had the car I wanted, and those that were close were missing something I dearly wanted. So, today we're ordering it!
Congrats James. Ordering a car like this is much more rewarding, as you know its being built, not for regular dealer inventory, but FOR YOU, with your exact specifications. Can't wait to see pics of it when it arrives. Oh, and don't forget to call, or stop back into the dealer's place, and ask for a DORA sheet. If your ordering the car tonight, that sheet will be available on Thursday morning. If your ordering it this morning, they should get the print back tomorrow morning. BTW, which color did you choose again?
Old 8/15/06, 04:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I had to order what I wanted. I still have yet to see a car built exactly the way I wanted mine (of course no dealer will order a spoiler delete for the lot).