Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Watkins Glen video - 2014 GT TP

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/14, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Watkins Glen video - 2014 GT TP

Posted this same thing in the 2011-2014 "general" forum, but I know the audience here is a bit different...

Just got back from a great 2 days at Watkins Glen. Significant driver mod since last year and I was able to knock off about 6 seconds (!) off my previous best time. Still got some soft brake pedal, but the brakes were strong otherwise just had a bit more pedal travel which made heel-toeing hard.

Best lap was 2.17.81, which I am very pleased with. Still on my street tires with 300 treadwear rating. Very ready to get on r-comps or hoosiers....

I seem to be destroying rear brake pads... looks like I need to replace them again after a total of about 325 track miles. Driving harder = braking harder = chewing thru pads quicker...

I'm currently using Pagid RS56 on the rears and I had put 7 track days on them last set, but only got 3 on the latest set. I am driving the car significantly harder, so I know that's part of the "problem" - anyone have good luck with a longer lasting rear pad?

Anyways, here's my quick lap of the 2 day event.

You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="384">
Old 8/19/14, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

and I have no idea why the videos seem to show up twice. I can't fix it...
Old 8/20/14, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Looking good!

Wow, new pads after 325 miles? Are you driving with ABS only, or Sport mode?
I have roughly that many track miles on my stock rear pads.

Once they go I plan on putting Carbotech AX6s on the back, and wearing them daily as well. They are an autocross compound, and someone I work with had them on their WRX. They are grippier, and fade resistant to 1100 deg (300 more than stock) and apparently don't make too much noise in daily driving. I figure that will be a good compromise.

I also have a rear set of Carbotech XP8s which I haven't used yet (backup pad set). They are fade resistant to ~1350, and i've had great luck with XP10s on the front so far. I'm sure XP8 would last longer for you.
Old 8/20/14, 09:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Looking good!

Wow, new pads after 325 miles? Are you driving with ABS only, or Sport mode?
I have roughly that many track miles on my stock rear pads.

Once they go I plan on putting Carbotech AX6s on the back, and wearing them daily as well. They are an autocross compound, and someone I work with had them on their WRX. They are grippier, and fade resistant to 1100 deg (300 more than stock) and apparently don't make too much noise in daily driving. I figure that will be a good compromise.

I also have a rear set of Carbotech XP8s which I haven't used yet (backup pad set). They are fade resistant to ~1350, and i've had great luck with XP10s on the front so far. I'm sure XP8 would last longer for you.
I have had TC fully off since April... I agree I seem to be running through the pads really quickly. But I am pushing the car hard... but not THAT hard (I am no racer!!)

I might try Carbotech's next. The Pagids are good but if I burn through them quick, I can't afford to keep getting more!!

Thinking I need to redo my brake cooling too... the 11/12 mustangs have much better (only one bend really) routing, whereas my ducting bends much more because of the 13/14 bumpers. I might try the Shelby KR style (openings in the center grill instead of the lower side grills). I think that would result in a more forward facing inlet as well as a less restrictive routing in terms of bends.

Anyways, track is a blast. Love it there.