Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

VIR 200 Recap: SpeedQuest Racing #59

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/05, 01:35 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
VIR 200 Grand Am Cup Race Recap: SpeedQuest Racing #59
GrandAmerican.com

(October 18, 2005) -- Heading into our season ending event at Virginia International Raceway, the SpeedQuest Racing team and drivers were hoping to end on a high note. Having just completed a successful testing session at Gingerman Raceway, we felt confident we had found some additional speed and a better set up heading into this event.

We started our weekend with a very balanced set up, and the drivers were simply looking to fine tune the #59 SpeedQuest Racing/KoRn entry, until the rains came that is. In keeping a close eye on the forecast and radar throughout the week, we decided that a softer "rain" set up would be a better decision for the race and began working in that direction.

All was going well, and the times were improving throughout the practice sessions until a punctured tire sent driver Adam Pecorari off track for a wet ride through the Virginia mud. Adam did a great job in trying to maneuver out of the spin, but just caught the end of a guardrail into the drivers' door, tearing the metal skin away. The crew quickly started going over the car to make sure none of the structure of the car was compromised and the suspension was in tact. Luckily we only required some minor sledgehammer repairs and a new door.

Knowing that with 69 cars in the field, qualifying would be of great importance. The #59 Mustang GT entered the qualifying session a bit late, with driver Romeo Kapudija only getting one flying lap in before the wet caught him out and an off track excursion sent him into the mud with only a short time to get the car race ready before the green flag dropped. "We had a car that was capable of qualifying in the top five, unfortunately I went off the dry line by a couple of inches and I went into a wild spin off course." Stats Kapudija. Romeo's one lap was good enough for a 13th starting position.

The team knew full well that there would be many yellow flags by racing in the wet with so many cars in the field, and playing out the yellows was most important. Kapudija started the race on rain tires and by lap seven was in P7 overall when the yellow came out. With the track drying, we opted to bring Romeo in for a new set of slicks, when many decided to stay out. That meant loosing all those precious positions, but we felt this was the right decision. Going back into the field in P50, Kapudija quickly made up time, passing as many as 11 cars per lap. Within nine laps the SpeedQuest entry was back up to P10 and running some of the fastest lap times of the race.

Yellows came and went a few more times, and just before the half way point, taking advantage of a timely yellow would again be the move to make. With the rains again coming down on lap 23 we brought the car in for a full stop, putting driver Adam Pecorari in the car for the final run. An extended stop to put the four new rain tires on sent us back into the field in P41, knowing Adam would have his hands full to bring the car home in good condition and high in the order. Much as his teammate did earlier in the race, Pecorari quickly started making up ground on the field. Now those timely yellows would play a major part, by stacking up the field for Adam to reel in the competition. By lap 48, with only three laps remaining Adam had pushed the car up to P10 with P8 & 9 directly in front, and running a full half second slower than the #59 Mustang GT. As he is making the pass on the ninth place BMW the yellow came out once again to negate his momentum and would finish the race under yellow flag conditions in 10th overall position. "Its unfortunate we had the extended stop and I got in the car so far back," stated Pecorari. "The car felt good in the wet and we were turning constant times to be in the top 5. With a few more laps, we could have achieved that, but with as many yellows we had, it made passing difficult."

A job well done to our two drivers Romeo Kapudija and Adam Pecorari for fighting all day and all year to run up front on a consistent basis. We would also like to thank KoRn for their continued support throughout the season; we are looking forward to a successful 2006 with many surprises in store.
Old 10/18/05, 02:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeppir, can't wait for the 2006 season!
Old 10/18/05, 04:31 PM

The weather was crazy; having to do two complete 4 tire stops is very very unusual in Grand Am Cup. Romeo and Adam both did a great job at VIR, but we had some bad luck with a few "off-track excursions" at critical times. Despite all that, we still came home with a respectable 10th place for the season ender. We (Rehagen Racing) are really looking forward to a solid 2006 racing season, and spending much more time up on the podium . . .
Old 10/18/05, 05:56 PM

Hey Brian,

Are there plans to get another 2005?
Old 10/18/05, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on a well fought race, Brian. Can't wait to see what's in store for next season.
Old 10/19/05, 01:09 PM

thanks F1-cobra.

Brad, I believe we do plan to build another car. I'm not sure what the timing for it is right now though. I know ultimately the plan is to phase out the SN95 cars completely, as the current rule set doesn't allow them to run at the front consistantly.
btw, we need to get together to get some website work done . . . I know I have been lax on it, but I'd really like to get the new rehagen site up and running with some of the stuff we've talked about and you've demo'ed for us. I'm in LA for work this week, but as soon as I get back, I'd like to set up a semi-regular time for us to talk and figure out what we need to do.
Old 10/19/05, 01:17 PM

I agree. Give me a call or fire me an email and we'll finish her up.
Old 10/19/05, 01:22 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Brian-

I just wanted to say Congratulations and Thank you for the Hospitality at Barbers & Mid-Ohio. I hope we didn't get in your way too much. Looking forward to next season for you and the team!
Old 10/19/05, 05:38 PM

Evil_Capri,

Thanks. And consider it an open invite to everyone that attends a Grand Am race to drop by our paddock space to say hello! I can't guarantee how much time we will have to stop and chat, but everyone is more than welcome to hang out, and watch the action