Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track withdrawal syndrome

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/16, 01:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a dumb question: if I show up at a track, do I get to race only against guys that have the same motor as me? Hard to imagine that a guy in a V-6 (I have a 2010 V-8, but it's not the 5.0) would have any reason to get on a track with a GT or a Shelby.

Or does every one just go at his own pace anyway?
Old 1/20/16, 01:59 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by robjh22
I have a dumb question: if I show up at a track, do I get to race only against guys that have the same motor as me? Hard to imagine that a guy in a V-6 (I have a 2010 V-8, but it's not the 5.0) would have any reason to get on a track with a GT or a Shelby.
---
Hey Rob. No, sir. Most HPDE (High Performance Driving Education/Events) arrange drivers into categories of Student, Beginner, Intermediate, & Advanced. Obviously this differs, but this is the general idea. And the driver/participant chooses which group fits them. In the same group you may have a 100hp Miata, and a 600hp GTR. There are driving rules that include passing, caution, etc. Each event usually has rules & regs on their website, and more detail is provided in a driver's meeting each day. Now, racing is different, and car class matters. But for track day events, nope.
Old 1/20/16, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

Well, thanks PJR/Pete. I had visions of being on a track with 10 other red Mustangs (like yours, hint hint) with exactly the same motor. And coming in last, by the way. I have never red-lined my car. The motor hums like a singer sewing machine and I dont' want to mess it up!

But seriously, it isn't really a "race" if you have all those different motors out there at the same time, is it? I shouldn't be snotty, of course. There are little Japanese cars with 4 cylinders that pass me all the time!

Say hey to Chumlee for me out there in Vegas! Thanks again.
Old 1/20/16, 02:41 PM

Hey Rob. Before my first track event, I had a million questions, and my expectations were all over the place. Not to worry. I bought my 2011 GT with the anticipation of tracking it, and learning from the very beginning. So my first time out was a true Driver's Education event, with classroom, braking, skid-pad, and, finally slow-pace track time with an instructor. Gradually I gained some confidence, understood more, and decided how I wanted to improve myself, and my car (wheels/tires, brakes, suspension). I now run in groups with cars that are all over the map...Corvettes, Porsches, GTRs, Miatas, WRX-STIs, even full-blown race cars. Very few Mustangs, unfortunately, but our cars sound really good on the track at 6500 RPM! The car is important, but the Driver is vital, and a good driver in a slow car is faster than a bad Driver in a fast car. Remember, track events are not 'racing', maybe Time Attack / Time Trial comes close, but it's still not racing. It's just track days, and fun.
Old 1/20/16, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
I now run in groups with cars that are all over the map...Corvettes, Porsches, GTRs, Miatas, WRX-STIs, even full-blown race cars. Very few Mustangs, unfortunately, but our cars sound really good on the track at 6500 RPM! The car is important, but the Driver is vital, and a good driver in a slow car is faster than a bad Driver in a fast car. Remember, track events are not 'racing', maybe Time Attack / Time Trial comes close, but it's still not racing. It's just track days, and fun.
Ditto on all 3 accounts.
Fast driver will prevail over a fast car.
HPDE/Open Track Days are not racing. You don't expect do drive your car home from the race.
Start with true HPDE where you get classroom sessions and an instructor.

Check out http://www.motorsportreg.com/ to see events in your area.
Old 1/21/16, 08:37 AM
V6 Member

Fast driver will prevail over a fast car.
Reminds me of a huge misconception I had years ago about stock car racing on those huge oval tracks. I asked a racer once what the driver had to do with it; it's the mechanics who get your car running as fast possible, and the driver just floors it the whole way around the track, right?

He says, "Sure, he can do that. But he'll go over the rail on the first turn."

Oh!
Old 1/21/16, 11:36 AM
Banned

Exactly Rob. I've gotten by Audi R8 once because it wasn't well driven, and I got passed by an S2000 because it was.
Old 1/23/16, 06:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
. . . But seriously, it isn't really a "race" if you have all those different motors out there at the same time, is it? I shouldn't be snotty, of course. . . . .
I'm not sure if this was clear from the other posts: an HPDE event absolutely is NOT a RACE. That is probably the most important safety consideration that you have to get through your head: this is not a race.

Very bad things happen when beginners think they are in a race and try to race each other. You need to look at it exactly the opposite way: you are there to help the others go as fast as they can, safely; and yes that could mean faster than you. You need to let them pass, and they need to let you pass. It's more like a team event.

Once you get that through your head; all of your thinking will change. It doesn't matter if you only have a V6. It doesn't matter if you are getting lapped by a Civic. All that matters is that you have fun, get to drive your car like you always wanted to but cannot on the street, and come home safe and with no damage to your car.

So forget about all that, and just go have fun!

SCCA "Track Night in America" is an easy way to get out on a track; check out their web site to see if they have any events near you. The only big drawback is they do not offer in-car instructors. So if you think you might get yourself in over your head, and start "racing" the other cars, probably not the best choice. Ask me for a $25 discount code if you are interested.

www.TrackNightInAmerica.com

Last edited by Bert; 1/23/16 at 06:13 AM.
Old 1/23/16, 10:36 AM
GT Member

HPDE

Originally Posted by Bert
I'm not sure if this was clear from the other posts: an HPDE event absolutely is NOT a RACE. That is probably the most important safety consideration that you have to get through your head: this is not a race.

Very bad things happen when beginners think they are in a race and try to race each other. You need to look at it exactly the opposite way: you are there to help the others go as fast as they can, safely; and yes that could mean faster than you. You need to let them pass, and they need to let you pass. It's more like a team event.

Once you get that through your head; all of your thinking will change. It doesn't matter if you only have a V6. It doesn't matter if you are getting lapped by a Civic. All that matters is that you have fun, get to drive your car like you always wanted to but cannot on the street, and come home safe and with no damage to your car.

So forget about all that, and just go have fun!

SCCA "Track Night in America" is an easy way to get out on a track; check out their web site to see if they have any events near you. The only big drawback is they do not offer in-car instructors. So if you think you might get yourself in over your head, and start "racing" the other cars, probably not the best choice. Ask me for a $25 discount code if you are interested.

www.TrackNightInAmerica.com

All of the above. Also check these guys out - great people, well organized track days and the most fun (and education) you can have with your car !!
https://www.hookedondriving.com/home
Old 1/23/16, 03:36 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm looking at getting my 04 ready and out for some track time this year. Anyone got reccomendations on seats? I need something that's going to allow for a tall driver. I guess if worst comes to worst, then I can make some brackets that side mount and get the seat as close as possible to the floor.
Old 1/24/16, 09:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I'm looking at getting my 04 ready and out for some track time this year. Anyone got reccomendations on seats? I need something that's going to allow for a tall driver. I guess if worst comes to worst, then I can make some brackets that side mount and get the seat as close as possible to the floor.
Not sure how much effort it is to do, but I highly recommend factory Recaros on 13-14 models. They hold you in place like Velcro, have good adjust-ability even for tall drivers, plus they come with airbags.
One of my coworkers was interested in getting a '11 V6 performance package cars for DD duties, but was worried about finding a comfortable position since he is 6'5". He tried in my car and was able to find a comfortable position quickly.
Old 1/24/16, 10:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm looking at getting my 04 ready and out for some track time this year. Anyone got reccomendations on seats? . . . .
I'd suggest you just start with the ones you have. Yes the seats will become a limiting factor as you progress, but not when you are just starting. You can probably take your car just the way it is and have a blast with no major problems. Just make sure the brakes are in good shape -- new pads and fresh fluid.

Another low cost option is those gizmos that lock the seat belt in place, so you can strap yourself in. I don't have the link handy but I know they are available on e-bay. I'll probably get some this year.

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
. . . I highly recommend factory Recaros on 13-14 models. . . . . .
Any ideas where to get those? I'm pretty sure they are not available from Ford.

The Recaros in the '15 model are real nice, maybe even better than the 13-14's. I'd love to lay my hands on a set of those at a reasonable price.

Sounds like a great project while I'm waiting for the snow to melt!
Old 1/24/16, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

. . . I have a 2010 V-8, but it's not the 5.0 . . .
Hey Rob, I misread your original post, and I didn't mean to give you a bad time in my earlier post.

I have a 2010 GT just like yours, and it is a blast for track days. Not the fastest one in the group, but far from the slowest. Sure there are plenty of things you can do to make it faster, there always will be . . . but it doesn't matter, you can have a lot of fun with it just the way it is.

Just make sure your brakes are in good shape -- new pads and fresh fluid. And the normal safety stuff like decent tires, seat belts that work. etc. . . . none of that should be any issue if your car is in decent shape.

And don't worry about redlining it. These ponies love to run. I wring mine out to 6300-6400 on every lap. The rev limiter will stop you before you get into trouble. Just make sure you have good oil and a fresh filter and no issues with the cooling system.

Bottom line -- go for it, be safe, and have fun. Just one warning: it is very addictive, and can get expensive real quick.
Old 1/24/16, 11:50 AM
Banned

The Recaros in the '15 model are real nice, maybe even better than the 13-14's. I'd love to lay my hands on a set of those at a reasonable price.

Hey Bert! I just did a quick search and found these:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci...FZGMaQodHDAJ4w

For the track the cloth seats would be better. Leather is not the most sticky material. And the price is hefty. I'm sure there is a place that sells them though. And I agree, the GT350 seats have me drooling as well.
Old 1/24/16, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
C-G lock
Old 1/24/16, 05:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
. . . the price is hefty. I'm sure there is a place that sells them though. . . . .
wow, um, yeah . . . $3K is a bit more than I had in mind . . . but good to see there is hope; thanks for looking and I'll do some looking too!

would be great to find a wrecked 13-14 track pack car with good seats in it. . .
Old 1/24/16, 07:13 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd suggest you just start with the ones you have. Yes the seats will become a limiting factor as you progress, but not when you are just starting. You can probably take your car just the way it is and have a blast with no major problems. Just make sure the brakes are in good shape -- new pads and fresh fluid.

Another low cost option is those gizmos that lock the seat belt in place, so you can strap yourself in. I don't have the link handy but I know they are available on e-bay. I'll probably get some this year.

I love those seats but not for 3k, and I couldn't use the airbags anyway. The stock seats aren't worth a **** just driving a few twisties around here. The bolstered up Mach and Cobra seats seem to sit higher, so that's out. There's a speedshop an hour or so away, I think I'll test them out for seats and a helmet.
Old 1/25/16, 06:54 PM
GT Member

I love those seats but not for 3k, and I couldn't use the airbags anyway. The stock seats aren't worth a **** just driving a few twisties around here. The bolstered up Mach and Cobra seats seem to sit higher, so that's out. There's a speedshop an hour or so away, I think I'll test them out for seats and a helmet.
Seats are an issue. I've done about a dozen track days with my GT Premium leather seats, and will tell you I expend too much energy keeping myself in position. I can also say that I've looked at putting in Ford Racing recaros, but have decided it's a waist of money. Ultimately, they will not be good enough for progressively harder driving at the track. Need more bolster, and a 5th/6th anti-sub belt thru the seat bottom. True, they would be better than the OEM seats, but just a real expensive interim solution.

You can drive pretty hard with OE seats, especially cloth. Then move to a 4pt harness and then to racing seats and 5pt/6pt harness.

Just MHO.
Old 1/25/16, 11:06 PM

---
David, I understand this completely. Mine is a GT Premium, and the seats are leather, power, heated, and I love them for the street. But they flat out suck on the racetrack. Here's what I did. I purchased a stock OEM FoMoCo driver's side seat track assembly (manual) from a junkyard, $100 (including OEM seatbelt receiver and electrical sensor connection). Then I ordered a fixed-back NRG fiberglass racing seat from my local speed shop, $230. Then the speed shop arranged for a local welding guy to mount the seat to the track, $65. The result? Four bolts out for my stock leather seat, unsnap the electrical connection underneath, four bolts in for my racing seat, re-snap the electrical connection. Easy, quick, safe, and amazing difference on the track. Reverse procedure when I get home and my original and comfortable leather seat is back in for daily driving. I hope this helps others looking for a similar solution. Obviously, I whish I had leather Recaros, but alas they were not available in 2011, bummer.
Here's my TMS thread on this: https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-my-gt-519126/

Last edited by PJRManagement; 1/25/16 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 1/26/16, 04:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
. . . Here's what I did. . . .
Here's my TMS thread on this: https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-my-gt-519126/
Thanks for posting that Peter! I was thinking about something like that, helps a lot to know that it has been done, and how it worked.

What do you use for a harness?

Quick Reply: Track withdrawal syndrome