Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Swaping out pads, and re-using stock rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/13, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Question Swaping out pads, and re-using stock rotors?

Hey everyone,

Could use your opinion again. If you've swapped out the stock pads to go to the track while retaining the stock rotors, how did you prep the rotors? Did you have them turned? Did you use sand paper to remove pad deposits? Did you use a wire brush with a drill? Or did you go all the way and swap rotors too?

I'm about to swap out pads to prepare for an HPDE event next weekend, and I'm wondering what the best course of action is to prepare the stock rotors.

I have a 2014 GT Track pack with Brembos.
Old 10/1/13, 11:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need to prepare the rotors at all. Just make sure to break the pads in properly before taking it to the track so you don't glaze them. The pads will bed to the rotors, so no need to turn them.
Old 10/3/13, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I've never really had issues with switching pads. If you're using track pads, note they are abrasive when cold, so they should grind away most of the street pad deposits.

Then just get them bedded for the event. On the drive home with light braking they should grind away the pad deposits and "resurface" your rotors for the re-installation of street pads.

I think Stoptech has a good article on their website on this? I forget where I saw the article in the past...
Old 10/3/13, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I've never really had issues with switching pads. If you're using track pads, note they are abrasive when cold, so they should grind away most of the street pad deposits.

Then just get them bedded for the event. On the drive home with light braking they should grind away the pad deposits and "resurface" your rotors for the re-installation of street pads.

I think Stoptech has a good article on their website on this? I forget where I saw the article in the past...
Thanks for the feedback!

How many miles do you have on your stock rotors? How many times did you swap out the pads? Did you notice any "warping" or brake vibrations?

I have just about 3200mi, I noticed there are noticeable deposits on the rotors from the race pads, so I'm a little worried about putting stock pads back on. There are some slight grooves in the rotors now too. Do you think I could just drive on my (cold) race pads for a few more days to "grind" the rotors down before re-installing the stock pads?

As always, thanks for the input!
Old 10/3/13, 04:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Thanks for the feedback!

How many miles do you have on your stock rotors? How many times did you swap out the pads? Did you notice any "warping" or brake vibrations?

I have just about 3200mi, I noticed there are noticeable deposits on the rotors from the race pads, so I'm a little worried about putting stock pads back on. There are some slight grooves in the rotors now too. Do you think I could just drive on my (cold) race pads for a few more days to "grind" the rotors down before re-installing the stock pads?

As always, thanks for the input!
I'll PM you
Old 11/10/13, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quick update on this topic.

I ended up keeping stock Brembo rotors, and just swapping out to race pads for my HPDE event a week before. Then I ran the pads an extra week after the event. At that point I went back to stock pads (on original rotors).

I had about 2 weeks of what I would describe as pre-warping sounds while doing moderate to hard braking. It was caused by uneven deposits left by the race pads. Within a month the stock pads ended up removing the deposits, and everything went back to normal. Now everything is back to the way it was before I swapped the pads. I love my Brembo rotors : )

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 11/11/13 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11/10/13, 05:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've had the exact same experience. Thanks for followup post, good to see closure on some of these issues/questions for future interested folks!