Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Interest in CF Canards, spoiler / wing, splitter?

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/16 | 11:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Interest in CF Canards, spoiler / wing, splitter?

I've decided to finally begin to dabble in carbon fiber manufacture for car parts at home. I'm going to make myself CF versions of the canards I recently fabricated, and I'm also taking on a rear airfoil and a front splitter.

I expect I'll have a couple iterations to work out a few kinks, but I'd like to fabricate multiple batches if people are interested in purchasing some of this stuff. I'll have the ability to make other parts as well once I get the fabrication process vetted out.

Post or PM if you have interest.
Old 8/1/16 | 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Depends on pricing...I love Sam's (@101blur) products but I can't justify the cost. I'm sure making your own CF parts for profit won't be cheap though. I've made some CF parts myself and it's labor intensive to get it to look perfect!
Old 8/2/16 | 04:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah I'm feeling it out. Partially doing for my own car and a friend since it seems like an interesting challenge. If I can source materials for a decent price I'll see what it truly costs and go from there

I'll post more as I work on a few tbings
Old 8/3/16 | 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey D, in a prior lifetime I was a composites engineer, love that stuff, my experience is a little dated but I doubt much has changed. You'll need a vacuum pump, a vacuum bagging table, vacuum bagging materials, a way to fabricate molds, and decide whether you will use room temperature curing polyester or elevated cure epoxy; if epoxy you will need an oven big enough to fit the mold and bagging table.

BTW I made my first part using a machined aluminum mold, pressure supplied by bolts, cured in my kitchen oven . . . it can be done.

I have a roll of carbon/PEEK fabric still kicking around but it takes 600F to consolidate so that's not really what you want.

Happy to consult as needed . . .

And yes I'd be interested in some of those parts, but I doubt I'll be able to pay enough to cover your costs . . . LOL . . .

Last edited by Bert; 8/3/16 at 03:00 PM.
Old 8/3/16 | 03:29 PM
Cobra Member

dmichaels, I am on another sight for Challengers. ( I know I know ).

There was a guy making the parts you want. He teamed up with a Dealer and they split the cost and made parts for the Forum. They came out great. After all you have a great testing community here.

I would be interested in those parts.

The Challengers forum I am on has alot of Dealers and also several engineers on it. I wish we had that here.

Good luck

Last edited by Jazzman442; 8/3/16 at 03:30 PM.
Old 8/4/16 | 06:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
dmichaels, I am on another sight for Challengers. ( I know I know ).

There was a guy making the parts you want. He teamed up with a Dealer and they split the cost and made parts for the Forum. They came out great. After all you have a great testing community here.

I would be interested in those parts.

The Challengers forum I am on has alot of Dealers and also several engineers on it. I wish we had that here.

Good luck
Cool strategy - if I have success, I might take that approach here, it'd be nice to get connected with some level of volume for some more simple parts like canards or splitter. Appreciate the post!