Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

First autocross today

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/13, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First autocross today

Went to my first autocross today. Was pretty fun. South Texas Border Region chapter of the SCCA held the event at Waldron Field in Corpus Christi. Really well run event. Two other mustangs there. One was a 2013 Boss which I got to ride with during one of his runs. Much more suited to autocross/road racing than my GT with stock suspension and brakes. Got 5 runs in. Best was right at 1 minute flat. Definitely fun. I've had some experience with some high performance driving instruction back in my law enforcement days a few years ago but never have pushed my own car that hard. Don't know that ill autocross more than once or twice a year for now. I like seeing what I can do but I always feel bad pushing the car that hard. I tend to baby my car for the most part on the street.
Old 9/10/13, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Congrats on the first time tracking you Mustang. Glad you had a good experience. I have a GT Track Pack I will be tracking too, the suspension is much tighter than a stock GT. The Boss must be even tighter.
Old 9/10/13, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Congrats on the first time tracking you Mustang. Glad you had a good experience. I have a GT Track Pack I will be tracking too, the suspension is much tighter than a stock GT. The Boss must be even tighter.
Yeah that track pack will do much better than a stock GT. That Boss felt so great. Very stable, planted, far superior than a GT no doubt.
Old 9/12/13, 12:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Sounds like fun! I was amazed at how different my track pack suspension was compared with the base GT that I had as a rental earlier this year

The boss will handle better. I was able to drive a LS and it was excellet
Old 9/13/13, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I can only imagine. I got to ride in the boss and it was great. I would love to drive a LS and see how much better it is.
Old 9/14/13, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome! Glad you had fun.

As far as babying your car, the Mustang can definitely take track days and autocrosses. Yes, the events are hard on the tires and brakes, but the rest of your car can take it. The important parts of your car like the suspension and driveline are actually made of heavy duty components (compared to run-of-the-mill passenger cars anyway).

That said, I'm in the same boat as you. I do road course events once per year, and baby the car for the most part on the public roads.
Old 9/16/13, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah the tires and brakes were what made me cringe when I'd start taking turns and braking super hard. Wasn't so much worried about the rest of it. Brakes and tires are supposed to wear but I just feel so guilty beating on it like that. I would love to go to a real road course though. Autocross was fun but I'd love to take it to a real road course. I never see any track days in my region though really.
Old 9/17/13, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by flynavy
Yeah the tires and brakes were what made me cringe when I'd start taking turns and braking super hard. Wasn't so much worried about the rest of it. Brakes and tires are supposed to wear but I just feel so guilty beating on it like that. I would love to go to a real road course though. Autocross was fun but I'd love to take it to a real road course. I never see any track days in my region though really.
I know the feeling. I've spun out a few times and it was exciting to say the least. As stated above these cars can take some relative abuse. I too am looking to do road courses. Im getting tired of autox and being stuck in second gear. You can't really take advantage of all the hp on an autox course as you could a road coarse.