Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Cobra in other racing

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/05, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since there are people who love mustangs maybe you could answer this. Why is the Mustang only in 1 form of racing? NHRA. If the Mustang is such a reliable performer why not have it in other types of racing the IRL, ALMS. Instead they enter Minardi or Jaguar Cosworth cars, Taurus, or Focus. Remember this is a question so please don't get defensive.
I gay asked this question on my forums today and honestly I don't know why we don't the cobra out there kicking hiney. Maybe you guys can enlighten me on the subject.

**Right spot to post this?**
Old 2/4/05, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

It should be in Ford and Mustang Motorsports. I'm sure one of the mods will move it for you.

It should be pretty obvious why they don't enter the Mustang in the IRL, as it is not an Indy Car. Minardi and Jaguar/Cosworth are Formula One teams (Actually Jag was just bought out by Red Bull), and the Mustang wouldn't fit in there, either.

I'd love to see a few Stangs in ALMS, and it may happen in the next couple years, though probably in the GT2 class, so as not to step on Aston Martin's toes in GT1. There are a few Mustangs in Speed World Challenge GT, which usually runs as a support race to ALMS. In the season finale at Laguna Seca, Boris Said in a Cobra was the only one that got anywhere near Wolf Henzler's Porsche for the win. There are also few Stangs in Grand Am Cup's GS class. I very clearly remember the Zippo Saleen landing on it's roof right in front of me at Mid-O last year, and one of the new '05s qualified 3rd for the race at Daytona today, which won't be shown on Speed Channel until March 5th. There are also a few in Trans Am, but except for rare guest appearances by Boris, they really don't have anything for the Rocketsports Jags. They also run in a few different SCCA classes, including GT-1, American Sedan, and Touring 1 and 2. Unfortunately, the only SCCA club races that get televised are the Runoffs, which happen in September and get show in late November and early December.
Old 2/4/05, 10:33 PM
GTR Member

Mustang is great, but is not the best handler.........
Old 2/7/05, 01:55 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Moving . . .
Old 2/11/05, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

You guys are dumb. The Mustang is raced in Grand Am and AMLS in the GT class, though mainly by privateer racers.
Old 2/11/05, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StevenJ@February 11, 2005, 1:32 PM
You guys are dumb. The Mustang is raced in Grand Am and AMLS in the GT class, though mainly by privateer racers.
If by Grand Am, you mean Grand Am Cup, the support series, you are correct. They do not, however, currently race in the Grand Am Rolex Series. If by AMLS, you mean ALMS, you are, in fact, incorrect. The GT class currently consists of a lot of Porsches, one Ferrari Modena, and a couple Panoz Esperantes. There are a few Mustangs in the Speed World Challenge GT class, which runs as a support series to the ALMS.

Who's dumb now?
Old 2/11/05, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Okay so I went a bit far with ALMS and I did mean Gradn Am Cup not Rolex.
Old 2/12/05, 07:46 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
StevenJ-

Maybe you ought to think about posting comments such as "You guys are dumb". We welcome your input into the 'Motorsport' section, but not at the expense of said comment you made.

Thanks,

TMS Admin/Mods