Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Brake and transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/16, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Brake and transmission fluid change

So I changed out brake fluid with motul 660 and trans fluid with RP synchromax. Early but didn't notice a real change in brake pedal feel (maybe slightly firmer but probably placebo) and shifting felt looser (the fluid felt thinner) but maybe the weather effects shifting because it was cold outside, maybe in warmer temps the shifts will be smoother. Really early to say but that was my initial thoughts. Anyone experience the same?
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (11/19/16)
Old 2/6/16, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I wouldn't expect any difference in pedal feel until the brake calipers / fluid gets really hot, up to the temperature where the lower temp fluid would have boiled and faded.

The RP tranny fluid could indeed be thinner when cold, which is usually a good thing. My 5-speed gets real stiff when cold so maybe I should try that stuff.
rpoppertdomi (11/19/16)
Old 2/6/16, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bert
I wouldn't expect any difference in pedal feel until the brake calipers / fluid gets really hot, up to the temperature where the lower temp fluid would have boiled and faded. The RP tranny fluid could indeed be thinner when cold, which is usually a good thing. My 5-speed gets real stiff when cold so maybe I should try that stuff.
thx Bert, your post gave me some piece of mind :-)
rpoppertdomi (11/19/16)
Old 2/7/16, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I put the RP synchromax in my MT82 in November. I drove it for ~3 weeks before the first major snowfall and garaging the car.

With stock fluid I would encounter most "crunchynes" in the morning when the trany was cold. RP helped here, but it helped even more when it warmed up. Les resistance shifting, and more butter like operation. I did get one really screechy 4-5 upshift but the tranny was cold. And I've popped out of gear, got grinding noises before the4 change too. Not often, but every once in a while.

And Bert is right on point. Racing brake fluid won't feel different in day to day driving, but at the track once the brake system is up to temp it will be night and day! I use RBF600 and that makes a huge difference in pedal feel and confidence in your brakes. Heal-and-toe downshifts are also easier due to pedal brake pedal being higher.
rpoppertdomi (11/19/16)
Old 2/7/16, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I put the RP synchromax in my MT82 in November. I drove it for ~3 weeks before the first major snowfall and garaging the car. With stock fluid I would encounter most "crunchynes" in the morning when the trany was cold. RP helped here, but it helped even more when it warmed up. Les resistance shifting, and more butter like operation. I did get one really screechy 4-5 upshift but the tranny was cold. And I've popped out of gear, got grinding noises before the4 change too. Not often, but every once in a while. And Bert is right on point. Racing brake fluid won't feel different in day to day driving, but at the track once the brake system is up to temp it will be night and day! I use RBF600 and that makes a huge difference in pedal feel and confidence in your brakes. Heal-and-toe downshifts are also easier due to pedal brake pedal being higher.
that's the 5.0monster I know :-) was waiting for your thoughts. Thanks man, it reaffirmed my purchase decision :-) can't wait for it to get warmer, supposed to get into the negative temps next week :-(

Last edited by SGwick; 2/7/16 at 01:41 PM.
rpoppertdomi (11/19/16)
Old 2/7/16, 07:34 PM
Banned

Hey SGwick,

Sounds like both of us are waiting for warmer days! This winter has been fairly mild, so I'm hoping to get the car out of the garage sometime in March this year.

I think you chose wisely. I haven't had much experience with Synchromax yet and I'm dying to see how it does on a road course at proper temps. I will have 3 or 4 track days this year if things go according to plan. We shall know more by October!

And as for brake fluid I think you have nothing to worry about. I was able to go deeeeep into brake zones last year with RBF600 at the tracks I know well. With 660 you are at a higher capacity still. This track season will be a fun one for both of us with all the mods!
Old 2/7/16, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Same I'm looking a 3, maybe 4 trackdays this year. Still gotta get my trackday pads and prioritize the rest.
Old 2/8/16, 06:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Agree with 5.M above.

I still say everyone who tracks should consider Castrol SRF. I flushed in March last year and never reflushed all season. I think I did 20 track days or so. Just a quick bleed each event to let a couple ocassional bubbles out. Hugely impressed with that brake fluid!
Old 2/8/16, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Off topics guys but who do you run your insurance through to cover your trackdays?
Old 2/8/16, 10:21 AM
Banned

I use Lockton Motorsports.
Old 2/8/16, 05:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SGwick
Off topics guys but who do you run your insurance through to cover your trackdays?
I've been "going bare" and hope I don't live to regret it. I just couldn't see doubling the cost of the day for insurance. I don't recall the exact price, but want to say it was something like $200 for a day -- ouch!
Old 2/8/16, 05:46 PM
Banned

$200 for a weekend is about right. A little less depending on the agreed value of your car, but for a $30k policy with 10% deductible it's just over $200 for a weekend.

And I think that's what most participants do, go "bare". For me walking away from $2900 (10% of $27k policy) + $200 for insurance is a lot better than walking away from a $27000 if I crash.

But a lot of it has to do with your personality and your outlook. I gamble with my life, but never my money, and as my wife likes to put it "it's not you I'm worried about, it's everyone else".
Old 2/8/16, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

$200 for a weekend is about right. A little less depending on the agreed value of your car, but for a $30k policy with 10% deductible it's just over $200 for a weekend. And I think that's what most participants do, go "bare". For me walking away from $2900 (10% of $27k policy) + $200 for insurance is a lot better than walking away from a $27000 if I crash. But a lot of it has to do with your personality and your outlook. I gamble with my life, but never my money, and as my wife likes to put it "it's not you I'm worried about, it's everyone else".
you cut me deep just now 5.monster :-) dropping some knowledge, got me thinking about my family :-) I like it

Last edited by SGwick; 2/13/16 at 08:56 PM.
Old 2/13/16, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

$200 for a weekend is about right. A little less depending on the agreed value of your car, but for a $30k policy with 10% deductible it's just over $200 for a weekend. And I think that's what most participants do, go "bare". For me walking away from $2900 (10% of $27k policy) + $200 for insurance is a lot better than walking away from a $27000 if I crash. But a lot of it has to do with your personality and your outlook. I gamble with my life, but never my money, and as my wife likes to put it "it's not you I'm worried about, it's everyone else".
well I just got insurance for Road America, thanks 5.monster for Locktonmotorsport company :-)

Last edited by SGwick; 2/13/16 at 08:57 PM.
Old 2/14/16, 05:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

well I just got insurance for Road America, thanks 5.monster for Locktonmotorsport company :-)
curious how much coverage you got, and how much it costs?

and it is for damage to the car only, right? does not cover any medical expenses and for sure is NOT a life insurance policy?
Old 2/14/16, 07:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bert
curious how much coverage you got, and how much it costs? and it is for damage to the car only, right? does not cover any medical expenses and for sure is NOT a life insurance policy?
hi Bert, coverage is specific to event (starts when you enter track property (to include track/paddock areas) and date. Coverage is for car (replacement value (kbb, etc)/modifications (spoilers/body kits/turbos/suspension, etc)), towing/storage, rental car, environmental remediation/clean up (fluids, oils), debris clean up. Remember! all modifications you want covered must be disclosed at time of insurance enrollment/purchase. They use the car and mod list total value to determine insurance coverage. Hope that helps. Definitely no medical or life insurance coverage.
Old 2/14/16, 11:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I also haven't done track insurance in years. I always think about it but opt out largely cause I do 15-20 events a year and that's just too much for me to justify buying track insurance

Anyways for only one or two events a year it's probably well worth it
Old 2/14/16, 02:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

hi Bert, coverage is specific to event (starts when you enter track property (to include track/paddock areas) and date. Coverage is for car (replacement value (kbb, etc)/modifications (spoilers/body kits/turbos/suspension, etc)), towing/storage, rental car, environmental remediation/clean up (fluids, oils), debris clean up. Remember! all modifications you want covered must be disclosed at time of insurance enrollment/purchase. They use the car and mod list total value to determine insurance coverage. Hope that helps. Definitely no medical or life insurance coverage.
LOL, yeah the salesman went through this whole schpeel too and that's why I got frustrated and gave up. After all is said and done, there has to be a price per day and I can't imagine that it really varies very much based on all those things, except the covered amount.

It's in the $200/day ballpark, right?

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I also haven't done track insurance in years. I always think about it but opt out largely cause I do 15-20 events a year and that's just too much for me to justify buying track insurancit
Might as well buy a whole spare car instead of spending the same money on insurance! well, almost . . .

Last edited by Bert; 2/14/16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 2/14/16, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah it's about $200/day and I did it for Road America based on increased potential risk. I'm running Gateway Motorsports Park early April but didn't purchase Locktonmotorsport insurance for that trackday based in lower risk compared to RA and limited budget ($$$) :-)
Old 11/15/16, 03:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Agree with 5.M above.

I still say everyone who tracks should consider Castrol SRF. I flushed in March last year and never reflushed all season. I think I did 20 track days or so. Just a quick bleed each event to let a couple ocassional bubbles out. Hugely impressed with that brake fluid!
This comes in 1L container, how many do we need for brake fluid change?

Quick Reply: Brake and transmission fluid change