Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

'05 Mustang set to race . . . .

Old 2/3/05, 07:23 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
From www.speedtv.com . . . .

In one of the biggest fields in Grand-Am Cup Series history, more than 70 of today's hottest production cars in two classes will take to the track for the season-opening Grand-Am Cup 200 at Daytona International Speedway on Friday, February 4 (SPEED Channel, March 5, 11 a.m. ET).

Nine manufacturers and nearly 20 makes will be represented in the race which promises to give fans the same level of racing excitement they’ve come to expect from the series.

Last season’s Grand Sport (GS) team champions will be back with a new look and sponsor, but the same momentum and motivation from last season. Team Sahlen will field five Porsche 996s with Joe, Wayne and Will Nonnamaker being joined by Joe Sahlen, Eric Lux, Dave White and Joe Masessa piloting the cars. Porsche claimed the GS manufacturer championship with seven wins last season and 20 will compete in Friday’s race.

Synergy Racing – formerly G&W Motorsports – will field two Porsche 997s. 2003 Rolex Series GT co-champion Brent Martini will join Kelly Collins in the No. 81 machine, while Blake Rosser and David Murry will pilot the No. 80. Last season Collins and Rosser combined to give the Nissan 350Z its first professional win at Mid-Ohio, while Murry had three wins with co-driving with Craig Stanton for TheRaceSite.com Racing.

The No. 17 Porsche 996 of Doncaster Racing will return with Dave Lacey and Greg Wilkins at the wheel. The two were victorious in last season's finale at California Speedway. Fiorano Racing will field the No. 91 Porsche 996 with two-time Grand-Am Cup Series champion Jean-Francois Dumoulin and Mark Wilkins sharing the machine.

The Grand-Am Cup 200 will also bring the Grand-Am Cup Series debut of the Ford Mustang GT. Multimatic Motorsports will field two "pony cars,” as 2001 Grand-Am Cup GS I champion Scott Maxwell will join fellow Canadian David Empringham in the No. 55 Mustang and James Gue and Gunnar Jeannette will pilot the No. 05 machine. Blackforest Motorsports will also field the No. 5 Mustang for Tom Nastasi and Ian James.

With one victory at Mont-Tremblant last season, Powell Motorsport will return in 2005 with a two-car effort. Devon Powell and Don Knowles will co-pilot the No. 11 Cadillac CTS-V, while Normand Guindon and Marc Antoine Camirand will share the No. 07 machine.

Anchor Racing will field three BMW M3s this weekend, led by 2004 Rolex Series GT runner-up Boris Said, who will join Anders Hainer in the No. 99. The two combined for a victory last season at Homestead-Miami Speedway for Unitech Racing. John Munson and James Sofronas will pilot the No. 92 BMW, while Rick Skelton and Joe Foster will share the No. 93.

Automatic Racing and BGB Motorsports will also return in 2005. Automatic will field two BMW M3s, as Jep Thornton and David Russell will pilot the No. 09 BMW M3, and David Riddle and Kris Wilson will share the No. 90. BGB Motorsports’ No. 38 Porsche 996 will be piloted by Guy Cosmo and Mark Plummer.

Last year’s Sport Touring (ST) co-champions David Haskell and Sylvain Tremblay will look to defend their title in the No. 70 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8. The duo gave Mazda its first professional race win last season at Phoenix, and hope to give the manufacturer another strong season. SpeedSource will field four other Mazdas with Glenn Bocchino and Roger Foo sharing the No. 65, Marcelo Abello and Charles Espenlaub piloting the No. 66 machine, Rich Walker and Jose Armengol sharing the No. 67 and Scott Schlesinger and Jeff Altenburg driving the No. 68.

Another SpeedSource-built Mazda – the No. 49 Southpaw Racing of Frank Howard and Marc Eaton – was quickest in class during Daytona testing earlier this month and looks to contend for the Grand-Am Cup 200 ST title. Southpaw Racing will also field the No. 50 with Mike Halpin and Michael Crowe.

ST runner-up Turner Motorsport will also return in 2005 with a two-car ST effort and a new entry in the GS class. Will Turner and Don Salama will again pilot the No. 95 BMW 330i, while Tim Pappas and Steve Pfeffer will share the No. 97 machine. 2004 Rolex Series GT Champion Bill Auberlen will be joined by Justin Marks in Turner’s No. 96 BMW in the GS class.

Last season’s ST manufacturer champions Acura will be well-represented in this year’s field with two models. The No. 27 Bill Fenton Motorsports Acura RSX-S of Eric Curran and Bob Endicott will be joined by a sister car, as Bob Beede, Mike Liebl and Bill Fenton will co-drive the No. 29 RSX. The Acura TSX makes its Grand-am Cup Series debut, with Peter Schwartzott and Michael Thornley piloting the No. 74 Kensai Racing Acura TSX. Stewart Motorsports will field a pair of TSXs, with Anthony Serra piloting the No. 86, and Tom Stewart and Chip Herr sharing the No. 98 machine.

Three Powell Motorsport-built Chevrolet Cobalts will also hit the track for their Grand-Am Cup Series debut this weekend. The No. 32 Franklin American Mortgage Cobalt of Bo Roach and Christian Kimball, the No. 00 Georgian Bay Motorsports Cobalt of Jim and Jamie Holtom and the No. 48 WTF Engineering Cobalt of Ed Magner and Toni Seiler will all be looking to claim victory in the ST class.

The weekend’s on-track activities get underway on Thursday with Rolex Series practice beginning at 10:00 a.m. ET and running for 90 minutes. The Grand-Am Cup Series machines will see their first practice action from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., followed by another Rolex Series practice from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. At 2:45 p.m., the Grand-Am Cup Series has another 45-minute practice session, followed by Rolex Series Daytona Prototype qualifying from 3:45 to 4:00 p.m. The first round of Rolex Series GT qualifying takes place from 4:15 to 4:30 p.m., with the 15-minute Grand-Am Cup Series ST class qualifying session set for 4:45 p.m., followed by Grand-Am Cup GS qualifying from 5:15 to 5:30 p.m. The day’s on-track activities wind down with Rolex Series night practice from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

Friday’s sessions will get underway at 9:30 a.m. ET with a 45-minute Rolex Series practice session, followed by the final Grand-Am Cup Series practice before the Grand-Am Cup 250 scheduled to run from 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. From 11:40 a.m. to 12:00 Noon, Rolex Series cars that qualified higher than the 31st position will have an opportunity to improve their grid position in a final qualifying session, with the final, 45-minute Rolex Series practice before the Rolex 24 At Daytona scheduled to take the green flag at 1:00 p.m.

The Grand-Am Cup Series Grand-Am Cup 200 will take the green flag Friday at 2:15 p.m. The race is 200-miles/57-laps or three hours. The race will be tape-delayed on SPEED Channel March 5 at 11 a.m. ET. Tickets can be purchased by calling 1-800-PIT-SHOP or by visiting www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com.

Live Timing & Scoring data from all sessions and audio updates throughout the race will be available on the official web site of the Grand American Road Racing Association, www.grandamerican.com.
Old 2/3/05, 07:24 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sweeeet

And I just got DVR!
Old 2/3/05, 01:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Thanks, Jason. I'm gonna add that to my calendar.
Old 2/3/05, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else less than happy with the one month tape delay?
Old 2/3/05, 07:36 PM
Post *****

Originally posted by DanS.02GT@February 3, 2005, 10:36 PM
Anyone else less than happy with the one month tape delay?
That is an understatement!! I guess I will see if grandamerican.com does in fact keep 'live timing' on the race tomorrow.
Old 2/3/05, 11:04 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
can someone post a vid this for ppl like me who only have basic cable

plus even that might get canceld ova here.... financial crap Grrr
Old 2/4/05, 05:27 AM
Post *****

MUSTANG QUALIFIES 3rd In First Outing . . . from grandamerican.com

I think that is VERY good news!!

MARKS TAKES POLE FOR GRAND-AM CUP 200

In qualifying for Friday's Grand-Am Cup Series 2005 season-opening Grand-Am Cup 200, Justin Marks in the No. 96 Turner Motorsport BMW M3 clocked a time of 2:04.019 (103.339 mph) to take the pole position overall and in the Grand Sport (GS) class. Marks will share the front row with Jep Thornton in the No. 09 Automatic Racing BMW M3 who starts second with a time of 2:04.791 (102.700 mph).

"I got lucky with the air today," Marks said. "It's all about the draft here at Daytona. With these long straightaways, you can be struggling for grip and still have a car that can contend for the pole if you get the draft at the right time. We were not a pole-contending car at the beginning of the session. Then, a bunch of guys seemed like they were drafting, and I was able to time a gap right, and the draft just worked huge for us. My co-driver (Bill Auberlen) has a lot of experience driving these cars, and I think that's going to help us, strategy-wise. We have a lot of tools at our disposal to be able to make a strong run for the championship. It's an awesome operation. The team did an awesome job. They have a lot of experience building these M3s."

Qualifying third was Ian James in the debut race for the 2005 Ford Mustang, running a best lap of 2:05.026 (102.507 mph) in the No. 5 Blackforest Motorsports Mustang. Starting fourth will be Jordan Sandridge in the No. 9 Team Salad Racing BMW M3 with a best lap of 2:05.386 (102.212 mph), followed by Jean-Francois Dumoulin in the No. 91 Fiorano Racing Porsche 996 at 2:05.395 (102.205 mph).

In the Sport Touring class, defending class co-champion David Haskell in the No. 70 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8 will start first in class thanks to a best lap of 2:12.798 (96.507 mph). Starting second on the ST grid will be Tim Pappas in the No. 97 Turner Motorsport BMW 330i following a lap of 2:12.994 (96.365 mph).

"It's a good start. We started fourth last year in this race, but finished around 24th. Everybody worked hard over the off season. We need to get a good start, and not begin the year in a big hole like last year. Anything in the top five tomorrow will be nice for us."

Starting third in ST will be Eric Curran in the No. 27 Bill Fenton Motorsports Acura RSX-S at 2:13.020 (96.346 mph), while Don Salama took fourth on the class grid in the No. 22 CSL Racing BMW 330i at 2:13.183 (96.228 mph). Daniel Colembie fills out the top five in ST at 2:13.526 (95.981 mph) in the No. 12 TC Kline Racing BMW Z4.
Old 2/4/05, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wonder if I can avoid finding out who won for a month. Probably not. Interesting to see Team Salad running BMWs. I though that they were die-hard GM guys. They've done pretty well in the SCCA's T2 class, running CTS-Vs this year, and Firebirds before that. Guess that explains the cars for sale in Autoweek's classified section.
Old 2/4/05, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dadgummit. It would be nice if Speedtv.com would have spoiler warnings in their news section. Like this:

SPOILER WARNING !!!SPOILER WARNING !!! SPOILER WARNING!!!!
If you don't want to know how the race ended stop reading now!!

The Mustang won it's first race. I got that from the headline, didn't read the article.
Old 2/5/05, 06:19 AM
Post *****

Dan-

I and a some others on the board listened to the race, and watched "living timing" on grandamerican.com. However, it was hard to find "new" information on the teams. I thought the winner was driving a 2004!!

I think the telecast will be very enjoyable to watch. And I agree with about SPEED TV . . . if they are going to wait a month to show a race, put some "SPOILER" warnings up.
Old 2/6/05, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, at least when I watch it, I know I'll be happy with the outcome. And the ST winner will still be a surprise to me.
Old 2/8/05, 02:57 PM
GTR Member

Any pictures of the cars or the teams?
Old 2/8/05, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

There are some pictures from qualifying and the race Here: http://www.grandamerican.com/Events/...asp?EventID=94
Old 3/1/05, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bump. They'll finally be showing it on SPEED this Saturday at 11:00AM.
Old 3/5/05, 09:46 AM
Queen Of Nascar

The Mustangs look sooo hot on television.
Thanks for starting this post, would probably be missing this right now if I had not seen it.
Old 3/5/05, 10:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I am watching it on speed, mustang leading the way right now lap 40, and it looks awesome. I like the fact they lost the hood. It looks pretty cool that way. Thats what someone needs to come out with. See-Thru hood. HEHE
Old 3/5/05, 10:56 AM
Queen Of Nascar

What an awesome race!!
The hood coming off was pretty wild. It sure did not slow him down much.
Old 3/5/05, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When they showed the finishing order I noticed that there was a Mustang Cobra and a Mustang SVT Cobra. Anyone know the difference?
Old 3/5/05, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the only difference between a Cobra and an SVT Cobra is the 3 letters added when somebody filled out the paperwork.

It was a good race, although it would have been better if the Turner M3 and the Powell CTS_V hadn't had their problems. Would have been interesting to see what the Stangs could do against some serious competition. The season's just starting though, so we'll see what happens. Can't wait for them to come to Mid-O, the Stangs will sound awesome in person.
Old 3/5/05, 07:38 PM
Cobra R Member

It was an awesome race, two mustangs in 1st and 3rd, hood coming off and all, the mustang that came in third would have won had they not filled his whole tank full of gas. Dude only had 12 laps to go, they should have gave him a splash. But they had a 47 seconds pit stop, if they would have cut that to 37 seconds they would have had 1st and 2nd place mustangs. Was a great show, mustangs cruising with the cammer engine at 390 hp.