Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

ZAINO question: After a VERY long and WET winter....

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/06, 12:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Zaino freaks!!

Late last fall I was able to get 2 coats of Zaino on my car. Now after a very wet winter my paint feels like sandpaper even after a good washing. My question is do I have to start from scratch with a dawn wash,clay, then the zaino Z5 and Z2 or can I just clay and Zaino?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance for any advice from Zaino users!!
Old 4/11/06, 01:15 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. To get the best results you should start from scratch, and that first includes using Dawn dish liquid to remove the old wax first, then clay bar. Wash the car again with the Zaino car wash (if you have it). You only need the Z5 if you have swirl marks or fine scratches.
Old 4/11/06, 02:11 PM
GT Member

Hey thanks John,

I was hoping to avoid the 10hr shift on the detail but oh well it can be fun anyway.Music-n-beer all day aint so bad on a nice weekend!

How's your car doing? Still in the Bshop?
Sorry bout the Leafs,however my Canucks no better. Bunch of Bums!!
Old 4/16/06, 10:09 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I had the same question. But are you SURE we should re-Dawn? I was under the impression that it was a one time thing?
Old 4/16/06, 11:43 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if you need to re-Dawn, but you definitely should re-clay bar. first wash with the zaino car soap, then claybar, then wash, and put your polish on. I think claybaring (is that a real word?) might need to be done every 6 months, more or less, depending on how much your car has been out. I know my hood was starting to feel rough about the 6 month mark.
Old 4/17/06, 09:08 AM
Retired Tms Staff

what is the point of using a claybar if you have not stripped off the old wax first. The instructions I received from Zaino even state that before using the clay bar you should strip the old wax first, which makes sense.

Anyway, I guess this all depends on where you live. After dealing with winter weather it is always best to start from scratch, especially if you drive your car thought the salt, sand, snow, etc. It is the only way to get the perfect finish.
Old 4/17/06, 09:19 AM
Banned

I would also add, that by using Dawn first, the claybar *should have less work to do*. As it'll clean all the grease, and left over crap from the paint (at least more than the normal car wash, as it's meant to be gentle on the polish/wax)

So in other words, Dawn then Claybar.
Old 4/17/06, 09:36 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

But, Zaino is not a "wax" and isn't supposed to oxidize. Its a polymer that just wears out. I'm not sure there is a NEED to remove the polymer.

With typical waxes yes, but I am under the impression from Zaino liturature that the Dawning is a one-time thing. Plus, dish soap does degrade your plastics and reduces their shine a bit.

I might e-mail Zaino Bros for clarification.
Old 4/17/06, 09:55 AM

Thanks Dan, that's what I was going to say. Also, if you read the claybar info from Zaino, the claybar removes any remnants of the Wax left behind, as well as the other impurities on the car.

Check with Zaino, or do what you want. IMHO I don't think another Dawn wash is necessary, but it's not my car.
Old 4/17/06, 10:20 AM
Banned

Dan and Jayguy,

Your posts make sense, I didn't know that Dawn would wreck plastic etc... I was just going on gutt thinking the dawn might remove junk that the normal car wash did not.
Old 4/17/06, 10:49 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fastrack @ April 17, 2006, 12:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Dan and Jayguy,

Your posts make sense, I didn't know that Dawn would wreck plastic etc... I was just going on gutt thinking the dawn might remove junk that the normal car wash did not.
[/b][/quote]

Typically from what I've read, dish soap dulls plastics because it is very harsh. I e-mailed Zaino...I'll let you know what they say [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 11:25 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

From the horse's mouth:

Sal Zaino wrote me back and said:

"Thank You very much. I really

appreciate it.
I am a word of mouth business and any comments or endorsements are
greatly appreciated.
Glad you like Zaino Polish products. I will always strive to
manufacture the best products in the industry."

"You never have to strip Zaino and start over again... And you never have to use Dawn again...

Just wash with Z-7 and apply Zaino.. "

Well, that answers that question [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 11:39 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Yup, guess that answers that for me as well. I am new to Zaino, and even though I have a bunch of it sitting at my house, I still don't have my car back to use it on [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 12:00 PM

I'm kinda in the same boat, Adrenalin. My last application of Zaino was 2/25. Then my accident on 3/4 totalled the car, so now I'm waiting for the new one to be built, with tons of Zaino products in the garage. Might have to do the gf's Neon just to keep in practice. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 01:17 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Patience boys. I have my car and the zaino, but won't get to it till the end of May. But when I do get to it, I'm going to do a kick hiney job [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 02:21 PM
GT Member

Hey Dan,

Thanks for emailing zaino for an answer....but even after a good wash the paint surface is still rough and I dont think another coat of zaino is going to remove the crap on the paint. I dont want to use the dawn if I dont have to but I think I will still have to clay the whole car before re-applying new zaino coat.

yours or anyone's thoughts?..
Old 4/17/06, 02:28 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nagman @ April 17, 2006, 4:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey Dan,

Thanks for emailing zaino for an answer....but even after a good wash the paint surface is still rough and I dont think another coat of zaino is going to remove the crap on the paint. I dont want to use the dawn if I dont have to but I think I will still have to clay the whole car before re-applying new zaino coat.

yours or anyone's thoughts?..
[/b][/quote]

I'd definately clay bar it. That will remove any bits of residue etc.... Give her a good wash, use the claybar and take your time (surface preparation is the most important step) and another good wash. Then have at her with the Zaino [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06, 03:38 PM
GT Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/18/06, 12:40 PM
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan @ April 17, 2006, 3:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Patience boys. I have my car and the zaino, but won't get to it till the end of May. But when I do get to it, I'm going to do a kick hiney job [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Make sure you order a lot of Z6 and Z8, as I know your addiction to it gets the best of you [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I used Z8 for the second time just before I put my car away, man alive that stuff is sweeeeeeeeeet.
Old 4/18/06, 09:27 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Ben, you're making me antsey to wax my car. Quit it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ZAINO question: After a VERY long and WET winter....