Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Winter storage

Old 11/7/05, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From late November until late April I store my '05 GT in the garage. Last winter I did nothing other than start it once a week and let it run for about 15 minutes. This year I plan on covering it. I am also thinking of putting it on jack stands to save the tires. I was also thinking of adding Sta-bil to the fuel. Anyone have any recommendations? Where are the best places to put it on jack stands if it will be sitting on them all winter? Is Sta-bil good to use?
Old 11/7/05, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

1. Wash/Wax/Polish
2. Interior clean/detail
3. Change oil
4. Fill Gas tank with non-oxygenated fuel add Sta-Bil
5. put down tarp on floor of garage
6. Put carpet pices on 4 corners of tarp
7. Pull car battery and trickle charge once a month
8. put on car cover
Old 11/7/05, 06:16 PM
GT Member

This is what I use for both my Mustangs battery. It works great. I still have the original battery in my 93.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...e&s=hi&n=507846
Old 11/8/05, 09:16 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by dcranford@November 7, 2005, 7:32 PM
1. Wash/Wax/Polish
2. Interior clean/detail
3. Change oil
4. Fill Gas tank with non-oxygenated fuel add Sta-Bil
5. put down tarp on floor of garage
6. Put carpet pices on 4 corners of tarp
7. Pull car battery and trickle charge once a month
8. put on car cover
Why the tarp on the garage floor and why the carpet pieces?
I'm doing everything else.
Old 11/8/05, 09:21 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are several winter storage topics that you might to want to read through as well

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...35838&hl=winter
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...36733&hl=winter
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...29960&hl=winter
Old 11/8/05, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by drop top pony@November 8, 2005, 10:19 AM
Why the tarp on the garage floor and why the carpet pieces?
I'm doing everything else.
Second that? Why the tarp and the carpet pieces? Also should I put the car on jackstands to prevent the tires from going lopsided? If so what are the best places for the jack stands for it to sit all winter? Lastly should I start it periodically or just leave it sitting?
Old 11/8/05, 11:26 AM
Retired Tms Staff

If you are using Sta-bil you do not need to start it while it is being stored. A tarp is normally only placed underneath when the car is being stored outside to help keep moisture from the ground out. When not stored on stands some people drive the car onto pieces of carpet to give the tires a nice, soft, lovely place to sit. I don't think you need them. As for stands, do you need them? Tires these days generally do not get the "flat" spot the old tires use to get. I'm still debating on putting mine on stands. Some say you should to keep the springs from compressing. Last time I checked my springs are always under compression so why does it matter.
Old 11/10/05, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hmmm, yea, the more I think about it I think I will leave it off the stands. As of now I have already changed the oil and cleaned the interior. I am going to wash and wax the car this weekend and add the Sta-bil and put the cover on her. I know as soon as I do we will get about 2 weeks of warm weather though haha. I may try the carpet on the tires thing b/c I have some extra carpet scaps laying around. I didn't think about the fact that I could be causing harm by starting the car periodically so I won't start it again until spring. Already talked to the guy who did my tune and he said b/c it is flash memory I won't lose the tune if the battery dies.
Old 11/14/05, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Weather was too nice last weekend to put her away so I am going to do it this coming weekend. Picked up Sta-bil for the fuel and the car cover should be in any day. I also got some dryer sheets to put in the engine bay and mouse traps to put near the car to keep them out of the engine. I am gunna give her one last good wash before putting her away.
Old 11/14/05, 07:02 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Put my car away yesterday. I bought a device that plugs into the wall that they say deters mice and rats from going in that area. Apparently the sound it produces drives them nuts but it is out of our hearing range. I'll see if it works. Since we live in the country we have mice every now and then. I just don't want to have to go out everyday to deal with getting rid of a dead mouse and resetting the traps.
Old 11/14/05, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hear that. Unfortunatly the garage I keep my Mustangs in is detached from the house and has no outlets for electric. I bought this mouse "food" that supposedly poisens them by dehydrating them and they go outside looking for water and die there so there is nothing to clean up. I also have heard that putting dryer sheets in the engine bay keeps the mice out. I am going to try that too.