Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Winter Garage percautions

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/13, 12:49 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter Garage percautions

I think I remember hearing at one point that even if your car is in the garage for MI winters, rust will still occur on the underbody. Perhaps this was due to condensation from the cement?

Is this actually true? Are there any precautions that should be taken when putting putting a pony away for the winter to avoid a diet of road salt.
Old 10/4/13, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different level/type of rust/corrosion, at least IME. My Mustang has never seen winter salty roads. Always keep it in my unheated detached garage. It has minor surface rust on uncoated/unpainted parts underneath like the axle housing, but that happened in the summer before it saw its first winter. Road salt takes it to the next level, and will aggressively attack the underbody of the car and if not washed off frequently will accelerate the corrosion.
Old 10/4/13, 06:12 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't plan on it leaving the garage during the winter. I was just curious if it would still rust out the underside. Just checking if there was anything else I needed to do besides park it during the winter. Other than move to another state.
Old 10/4/13, 07:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When you go to park it for the season you can put rubber mats under the entire car to block it from direct cement
Old 10/7/13, 07:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought a large tarp and taped it down on the garage floor on the side of the garage where I keep my Mustang....had to cut it a bit....kept the silver side up so not as noticable....