Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Who is putting the stang away for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/04, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karl -

You are a NERD!!!!!

Too bad you woosed out after Organic!!!!
Old 11/4/04, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I am a stinker I know, but I had to get the Black '05. I am sure I will be kicking myself in a few months or so, but I have always wanted a black mustang and if I was going to do it, I should do it right. The winters here in MD are pretty bad too, but I do a lot of work from home so hopefully on those bad days I can just leave her parked with a car cover on. My delivery date is set for end of Dec, begin of Jan, so I will have a month and a half of CRAPO weather. Those of you who have had black cars, or have them now, any tips on what I can do to keep my new stang clean and black for as long as possible???
Old 11/4/04, 03:37 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Winters? That's what Intrepid is for.
Old 11/4/04, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

To drizztbob, I drive a black firebird. Sure it'll get dirty in snowy weather but I just take it to a car wash (one with non-abrasive brushes) each week during slushy conditions. It's not the elements I'm afraid of during winter for my new stang, it's the idiot drivers that may slide into me.
Old 11/4/04, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jimascenz@November 4, 2004, 4:57 PM
To drizztbob, I drive a black firebird. Sure it'll get dirty in snowy weather but I just take it to a car wash (one with non-abrasive brushes) each week during slushy conditions. It's not the elements I'm afraid of during winter for my new stang, it's the idiot drivers that may slide into me.
So what do you do to avoid scratches and the like? And do you have a garage, cause I dont.
Old 11/4/04, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

Car is beautiful underside. No spray nothing on. No drive in rain or snow, especially in salt. Wife wants to keep it looking like new, just like my Cobra. It's raining out now, car is in garage hiding. Have new cover on order.
Old 11/4/04, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

I ordered black too but I have a garage and park in a deck at work (whew) - we had a black 3000GT - a pain to keep clean, but isn't it worth it on a sunny day after it's been waxed????
Old 11/4/04, 06:52 PM
V6 Member

Yes...!! UNfortunately..my baby girl will get her Winter rest at the sighting of the first snow...salt n sand...!!! Sorry...!!! I want to drive her all year..but DC/MD/VA area Winters are not the MOST FRIENDLY...not too mention, folks cant drive on a regular basis, so you know they are ABsolutely NUTZ on snow and ice...!!!
Old 11/4/04, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Badsnke98@November 4, 2004, 5:25 PM
Car is beautiful underside. No spray nothing on. No drive in rain or snow, especially in salt. Wife wants to keep it looking like new, just like my Cobra. It's raining out now, car is in garage hiding. Have new cover on order.
Bruce, U have a smart wife!
Old 11/4/04, 06:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by drizztbob+November 4, 2004, 5:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (drizztbob @ November 4, 2004, 5:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jimascenz@November 4, 2004, 4:57 PM
So what do you do to avoid scratches and the like? And do you have a garage, cause I dont. [/b][/quote]
The best way is to repaint it every year, its impossible to avoid the scratches on black, rocks from the road, swirls, going away from black on my stang.
Old 11/4/04, 09:52 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I buy my cars to drive them! Year-round for me.

Probably get it rust-proofed with the oil-based stuff. Works really well, albeit a bit dirty.
Old 11/4/04, 10:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the garage for winter as soon as the heavy rains, snows, and ice starts.

Winters here are bedlom for keeping a car nice. If it isn't birds c rappin on em, it's ice pellets. Or some other hazzard. Salt/sand trucks are ALWAYS fun. See those guys ones and your paint is shot.

no thanks! Garage is sanctuary!
Old 11/4/04, 10:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I will be driving my Redfire manual GT all year round. I would have liked to keep my 91 firebird (v-6 w/auto) as a winter car but do not have the space. The winter's are not that bad around my area (South Jersey near Atlantic City) because I live about 30 min away from the shore. Helps keep the snow at bay. But I will give it a spray down every week if it snows to keep the salt and crud of her.
Old 11/4/04, 10:20 PM
Cobra R Member

I am going to give my GT to my son and let him worry about it and I know he will as he has put five or more coats of Z on it already for me. Great son !!! He needs this fun car that is not large enough for the family.I will get another one in March then we will have twins.
Old 11/4/04, 10:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@November 5, 2004, 12:23 AM
I am going to give my GT to my son and let him worry about it and I know he will as he has put five or more coats of Z on it already for me. Great son !!! He needs this fun car that is not large enough for the family.I will get another one in March then we will have twins.
Need a daughter?
Old 11/4/04, 11:07 PM
Cobra R Member

You may have a father, sugar daddy husband or a good job as you have already ordered yours. I have two sons but the other one has two trucks and a jeep plus a bass boat so I don't think he needs the other one. Sorry
Old 11/5/04, 12:55 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1@November 4, 2004, 1:47 PM
What is winter?
gotta love california B)
Old 11/5/04, 01:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Storing after first snow fall...I'll have my Jeep or front wheel drive Saturn to trudge through the snow. B)
Old 11/5/04, 02:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by drizztbob+November 4, 2004, 7:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (drizztbob @ November 4, 2004, 7:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jimascenz@November 4, 2004, 4:57 PM
So what do you do to avoid scratches and the like? And do you have a garage, cause I dont. [/b][/quote]
Yes I have a garage. By scratches, if you mean thru the car wash, I've gottten swirls. But they've since converted over to soft touch so that shouldn't be a problem with my virgin mustang. I'd be more worried about scratches from people in parking lots, even folks just leaning over & looking at the car while I'm away from it. My neighbor had a new car & swore off automatic car washes but I couldn't help noticing he still had swirls in the paint. The dealer must have done it with their new car prep. One lesson I learned last year, if I have to brush snow off the car before leaving work, I'm using wash mitts instead of a brush. I scratched my roof. I'll probably use a car cover though on those days.
Old 11/5/04, 02:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have never driven my stangs in winter.
This one will be no different.
I also will not drive it in the rain.
My wife thinks I'm nuts.
I've had my '66 for 6 years and it has not seen a sprinkle let alone a rain drop. For those of you getting covers, get a California duster or similar to dust it off BEFORE you cover it. The cover is an enemy to a dusty surface.

Quick Reply: Who is putting the stang away for winter?