Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Waxing Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/05, 08:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What causes this oily smeary film after waxing? I tried using a soft towel, buffer, finally got it to come off using spray detailer. What am I doing wrong? Wax does not mention carnuba wax as an ingredient. Supposed to be a polymer wax.
Old 6/16/05, 09:43 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should have used Zaino!
Old 6/16/05, 09:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

What kind of wax was it? Did you give it ample time to haze over and dry?
Old 6/16/05, 09:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by biznazion@June 16, 2005, 11:47 PM
Yes... my thoughts exactly. Sounds as if the wax did not have enough time to completely dry. Some waxes can be applied in direct sunlight, but most should never be removed in direct sunlight. On a hot day in the sun, wiping down can sometimes only smear the softened wax or polish. I apply in the sun, let it sit in the sun for a while then move it to a shaded area and let it cool down before I remove it.
Old 6/16/05, 09:50 PM
Cobra Member

Do not use wax. Try Meguairs.
Old 6/16/05, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

using a good quality microfiber towel helps quite a bit
Old 6/16/05, 10:29 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
From my experience, the only thing that gets it off is to keep rubbing. Misting a little bit of water on it helps too. (probably not as good as the spray detail though)

I tried Zymol back when it first came out because it was expensive and it did the same thing. Called the company and complained. They suggested the water. Threw the bottle away and never used it again.

Switch your wax.
Old 6/16/05, 10:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@June 16, 2005, 11:32 PM
From my experience, the only thing that gets it off is to keep rubbing. Misting a little bit of water on it helps too. (probably not as good as the spray detail though)

I tried Zymol back when it first came out because it was expensive and it did the same thing. Called the company and complained. They suggested the water. Threw the bottle away and never used it again.

Switch your wax.
I agree. I tried Zymol once. It was the most expensive at the store as well, so I figured it was the best. It was the worst wax I've ever used, and I've used a lot.
Old 6/16/05, 10:49 PM
Bullitt Member

It appears to me you havn't been waxing veyr long. heres another good tip about waxing. When you do it, don't get wax in places where you can't get it out after without using like something small to get it out, like a screwdriver. Its a real pain.

I got it in between the body and tail light of my dads old 76 f-100. It took me forever to get it out. I was new at waxing at the time
Old 6/17/05, 04:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Use a micro fiber or 100% cotton towel.

Make sure and wash them before you use them.

Do not, I repeat, do not wash with any fabric softener and do not use dryer sheets.

Most waxes require shade and a cool surface.

Follow the instructions strictly on the product label.

The one wax I used that did leave oil was Zymol.
You just have to make sure and let it dry up real good before removing it.

Use toothpicks and tooth brush to get in the areas where wax is hard to remove.
Old 6/17/05, 05:24 AM
GT Member

need lots more info to assess what you did wrong...the polymer is a no-no, imo. the first thing you do is to take off whatever stuff you have applied. go out and get mothers 3 step bottles: step 1 is the cleaner (you won't need it right now, but buy one for when the paint starts to age) step 2 is the glaze (a super fine polish which is what you will need to strip off the polymer junk you apllied) and step 3 is the wax (who said you don't need wax? it's the most protective application you will aplply). mother's wax is a carnauba.

all three steps are easy to apply but as i said just use 2 and 3 and you will be fine. after the 2 nd step (glaze) you can and should apply mutiple coats of the wax. IF you buy the correct bottle (just wax, no cleaner) for step 3 then once the paint is clean and smooth you can use the wax as many times as you like...just don't overdo it with the amount used on each application...a little goes a long way. jackg 90seville 97k
Old 6/17/05, 06:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by poldrv@June 16, 2005, 11:53 PM
Do not use wax. Try Meguairs.
Second that, Meguairs is simply the best that I've used!!!
Old 6/17/05, 07:16 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with most of the posts but just so a few of you also know, it doesn't matter what wax you use, yes including mequires. If you don't let it dry enough, or put it on too thick you will have that oily film look. If you do have that film just let the car sit for 30 minutes and then take a clean microfiber cloth (or towel if you are not picky) and finish buffing the car. Another trick is just to hand wash the car again. It will remove most of the leftover wax.
Old 6/17/05, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Gattguy47@June 17, 2005, 12:52 AM
It appears to me you havn't been waxing veyr long. heres another good tip about waxing. When you do it, don't get wax in places where you can't get it out after without using like something small to get it out, like a screwdriver. Its a real pain.

I got it in between the body and tail light of my dads old 76 f-100. It took me forever to get it out. I was new at waxing at the time

Here's a tip: Instead of a screwdriver, which could scratch if you slip up. Get a set of the white plastic puddy knives, Places like ACO put them on promotion sales for $.10 for a package of three sizes. They will work great wrapped inside your favorite towel and no chance of damage. Great for detailing. And easy on your budget too!
Old 6/17/05, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@June 16, 2005, 9:46 PM
should have used Zaino!
DITTO...LOL... :bang:
Old 6/17/05, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Badsnke98@June 17, 2005, 7:30 AM
Here's a tip: Instead of a screwdriver, which could scratch if you slip up. Get a set of the white plastic puddy knives, Places like ACO put them on promotion sales for $.10 for a package of three sizes. They will work great wrapped inside your favorite towel and no chance of damage. Great for detailing. And easy on your budget too!
Like I said I was new at it. So I grabbed the first thing I could find. Plus I was like 12, comon gotta give a 12 year old a break. I was an idiot at that age. These were the times when I would rather have a truck then a Mustang. don't worry those days are over
Old 6/17/05, 09:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Used Zaino and let it cure for an hour before removing (funny what happens when you follow the instructions too!)...

what's an oily film? Not familiar with that
Old 6/17/05, 09:57 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by biznazion@June 16, 2005, 9:47 PM

Turtle Wax (don't hit me) F something or other. I washed the car. Put it in the garage. Put the wax on and let it dry while I cleaned the inside. Maybe 45 minutes. It was hazy when I started trying to take it off.

I live on a gravel road and we've had mud so much that I really thought even tho my Zaino had not come yet, I should put a coat of something on the car.
Old 6/17/05, 09:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Gattguy47@June 16, 2005, 10:52 PM

I've been waxing for 23 years but never realized there was so many details to types of wax etc. I use a clean dry soft kids toothbrush to get the dry wax anywhere that it shouldn't be.
Old 6/17/05, 10:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by justgreat@June 17, 2005, 5:27 AM
need lots more info to assess what you did wrong...the polymer is a no-no, imo. the first thing you do is to take off whatever stuff you have applied. go out and get mothers 3 step bottles: step 1 is the cleaner (you won't need it right now, but buy one for when the paint starts to age) step 2 is the glaze (a super fine polish which is what you will need to strip off the polymer junk you apllied) and step 3 is the wax (who said you don't need wax? it's the most protective application you will aplply). mother's wax is a carnauba.

all three steps are easy to apply but as i said just use 2 and 3 and you will be fine. after the 2 nd step (glaze) you can and should apply mutiple coats of the wax. IF you buy the correct bottle (just wax, no cleaner) for step 3 then once the paint is clean and smooth you can use the wax as many times as you like...just don't overdo it with the amount used on each application...a little goes a long way. jackg 90seville 97k
I can't get Mother's around here. I used Carnuba wax once and had the same problem. How long should you let it dry before removing. Is overnight too long in a garage? We normally have about 60% humidity here in my area cool nights of about 40 degrees.

Quick Reply: Waxing Help Needed