Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Used Turtle Wax Ice polish on the stang

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/07, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see. Must try that next time I wax the car. Do you guys wax the bumper? I was told not to do that. Not so sure though.
Old 6/16/07, 11:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zaghloul
Wait, you guys intentionaly wax the windows? I thought you meant that you got some on the window by mistake. Whats the point of waxing the window? Does it give it a nice gloss?
I wouldn't recommend just using ANY wax on the windows... I use Klasse AIO because it can be used in this application.

I made a video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xukZX9rRjHM

I guess I should have pronounced it, Klass-AH like Porsch-AH or Nordschleif-AH (I was corrected by someone of German descent).

Anyhow, I use the Klasse AIO on everything but 303 is the best for plastic/vinyl/rubber and lexan (like the headlamp lenses).

It doesn't work as well as Rain-X though, but it's much better than nothing.
Old 6/16/07, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I see. Must try that next time I wax the car. Do you guys wax the bumper? I was told not to do that. Not so sure though.
I wax the bumper since it is a painted surface. Klasse allows me to simply wipe off the bug splatter without a lot of difficulty.
Old 6/16/07, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

Try Black Magic paste wax, it hazes after 5 mins and is relativley easy to buff off. The results are outstanding. It smells of wild cherries (although its a chemical sort of scent). It will however stain black trim if you get any there. Thats just more of a reason to use Mothers Back-to-Black
I use the Black Magic too, it does a better job on water spots and leaves a great shine. Then I use the Ice so I can get all the black trim on the car, makes it look great, and it is a fast wax job also.
Old 6/16/07, 08:13 PM
GT Member

Our cars really shine up nice! Here's the hood of my car....you can see my house in the reflection;

Old 6/17/07, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

John, thanks for your review of Turtle Wax Ice polish. You're Mustang looks great!

metroplex, loved your video on Klasse AIO. Thanks for posting. I've used Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze with good results.

Really enjoyed hearing "Bullet Proof" (from "Dizzy Up the Girl") by the Goo Goo Dolls. They're my favorite group. Saw them live in concert near Sacramento, Ca. last year. Who was singing at the very end of your video?

Sandy, that's some reflection of your house off the hood of your Mustang! Did you use Turtle Wax Ice polish too? Nice house by the way.
Old 6/17/07, 02:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Mustang Ed: The song at the ending was Snow Patrol's Open Your Eyes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=InzRp3Vbik0

Here's the original video they used for their music video, with the Ferrari engine sounds intact:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RUbe125ege0

I'm glad you liked it! I actually made the video for someone who wanted some input on what product to use and I figured a fun video is more interesting than a boring text description!
Old 6/18/07, 12:33 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metroplex
Good video. Just a few observations >>

1) You might want to turn down the music next time; makes it harder to hear your instructions.

2) Despite what you say in the video, I don't believe a drop of ANY polish is quite enough to wax the whole car...or even just the hood, for that matter.

3) Never, EVER apply wax, or polish your car, using a circular motion. That's how swirls develop in your paint over time.
Old 6/18/07, 02:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Good video. Just a few observations >>

1) You might want to turn down the music next time; makes it harder to hear your instructions.

2) Despite what you say in the video, I don't believe a drop of ANY polish is quite enough to wax the whole car...or even just the hood, for that matter.

3) Never, EVER apply wax, or polish your car, using a circular motion. That's how swirls develop in your paint over time.
The music was turned way down, and the text pretty much explains a lot of it. I have the original project video without the music and it is boring. I guess you're not a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls!

If you've never used Klasse AIO, then you'd obviously think a drop wouldn't cover the hood. You don't need a whole lot of product to wax the vehicle. Just ask anyone who has used Klasse! Meguiars and the other OTC Rubbish practically need to smothered on to get the same effect.

I see what you're saying about the circular motion, but I've gotten scratches from going back/forth (from the leading edge to the trailing edge on top surfaces, and up/down on the side surfaces) just as easily. The whole point of not doing circular motions is so the scratches aren't AS apparent (they're still there). Now, the key thing is to keep the applicator and microfiber towel clean at all times. I usually rinse out my applicator in a large bucket after every panel surface.

Thanks for the input.
Old 6/18/07, 08:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Ed

Sandy, that's some reflection of your house off the hood of your Mustang! Did you use Turtle Wax Ice polish too? Nice house by the way.

Thanks Ed.......I use Meguiar's Gold Class as well as their Detail spray. Right now because of my business stuff, my Stang has to sit outside.....but I keep a car cover on her. I use a Calif. Duster or wipe down with Microfiber towel and detail spray before putting the car cover back on.
Old 6/19/07, 04:56 AM
Closet American

I guess you're not a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls!
Just listening to "Better Days" right now, as a matter of fact.

If you've never used Klasse AIO, then you'd obviously think a drop wouldn't cover the hood. You don't need a whole lot of product to wax the vehicle. Just ask anyone who has used Klasse! Meguiars and the other OTC Rubbish practically need to smothered on to get the same effect.
Tough talk. But in all my years trying a wide variety of different product, I have found no evidence that elitist waxes are any better than "OTC rubbish" - as you call it.

I see what you're saying about the circular motion, but I've gotten scratches from going back/forth (from the leading edge to the trailing edge on top surfaces, and up/down on the side surfaces) just as easily. The whole point of not doing circular motions is so the scratches aren't AS apparent (they're still there). Now, the key thing is to keep the applicator and microfiber towel clean at all times. I usually rinse out my applicator in a large bucket after every panel surface.
Well, dirt or debris in your applicator pad or polish cloth will mar any surface, no matter what technique you use. However, all things being equal, it is well documented that a circular motion promotes "swirling" to a greater extent than following the natural contours of the surface area you are polishing.

Thanks for the input.
Anytime. Every time.

Old 6/19/07, 05:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Just listening to "Better Days" right now, as a matter of fact.

Tough talk. But in all my years trying a wide variety of different product, I have found no evidence that elitist waxes are any better than "OTC rubbish" - as you call it.

Well, dirt or debris in your applicator pad or polish cloth will mar any surface, no matter what technique you use. However, all things being equal, it is well documented that a circular motion promotes "swirling" to a greater extent than following the natural contours of the surface area you are polishing.

Anytime. Every time.

In all the years of using OTC products, I can definitely say with 100% certainty that Klasse AIO is indeed much better. It's not an elitist wax, it does the same job as NuFinish requiring much less effort to use, and doesn't contain a lot of cleaners/solvents. Almost all of the OTC products that I have used contain a lot of solvent to the point the applicator always changes color (either from removing oxidation or paint). Klasse AIO doesn't have much of an effect on lacquer finished paints, so I like using it. Most of the OTC products are just cleaner waxes from what I have found.

I always wash my cars going back/forth (top surfaces) and up/down (side surfaces) because scratches/swirls made in those directions aren't as apparent. The swirls you are referring to are more apparent because they pick up light in different directions. It's all about perception. Touching the paint with any amount of dirt will scratch it regardless of how you wax/polish the car. I always wash in straight motions since the wash pad is going to be in contact with dirt.

Better Days is a pretty good song. I liked Bulletproof because it was one of their faster songs!
Old 6/19/07, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

+1 on the Klasse AIO and Sealant Glaze. Before I used Meguiars products and I liked the shine, but after a few rains, the Meguiars doesn't bead water anymore. With Klasse, the shine is just as good but it will still bead water after six months.

You can also layer the Klasse Sealant glaze over itself to get more shine/protection.

Plus, Klasse AIO doesn't leave the white residue if you get it on black plastic trim accidently.
Old 6/19/07, 02:06 PM
GTR Member

how much is klasse?
Old 6/19/07, 02:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
+1 on the Klasse AIO and Sealant Glaze. Before I used Meguiars products and I liked the shine, but after a few rains, the Meguiars doesn't bead water anymore. With Klasse, the shine is just as good but it will still bead water after six months.

You can also layer the Klasse Sealant glaze over itself to get more shine/protection.

Plus, Klasse AIO doesn't leave the white residue if you get it on black plastic trim accidently.
+1 I have Klass Sealant glaze but I found that it didn't really offer anything significant over the Klasse AIO, so I find myself just doing a once-over with AIO.

In my video, I showed that you could actually use the AIO on black matte plastic to protect the surface, although 303 Aerospace Protectant is a better product for doing that.

Here is one place where you can get Klasse:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/klasse1.html

It's a bit more pricey than Meguiar's NXT but using NXT felt like I was slathering lemon-scented solvents over the car.
Old 6/19/07, 03:56 PM
Cobra Member

+1 I have Klass Sealant glaze but I found that it didn't really offer anything significant over the Klasse AIO, so I find myself just doing a once-over with AIO.
Layering the Klasse Sealant Glaze takes a lot of time because you have to let each layer "cure" at least a day, so it's tough to get on a lot of coats on unless your car sits in the garage all the time and you don't drive it. But multiple layers really makes for a slick, deep looking surface, especially on dark colors.

In my video, I showed that you could actually use the AIO on black matte plastic to protect the surface, although 303 Aerospace Protectant is a better product for doing that.

Here is one place where you can get Klasse:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/klasse1.html

It's a bit more pricey than Meguiar's NXT but using NXT felt like I was slathering lemon-scented solvents over the car.
A little Klasse goe a long way though, since it's applied very thinly. It's a good product and it's been around for many years.
Old 7/1/07, 06:24 PM
Cobra Member

I have used Klasse (given to us by the VW dealer) products, Zaino, NXT, and all the older OTC stuff. Klasse was definitely good, but the Zaino is my favorite. I will try the Ice, though, since the price and availability is nice.
Old 7/24/07, 01:38 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Id never heard of putting wax on the windows...dont suppose I should put it on with tint? Im glad this write up was created, I was really wondering about that stuff. I'm definately gonna try it. Turtle Wax's regular wax isnt really that good, but it's cheap, so can tolerate it on my 16 year old truck, but I can't wait to try this. What should I put on my chrome?

and to 07V6Stang, wow dude, I thought that I was looking at a modified picture of the house, not a reflection.
Old 7/24/07, 02:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i bought and used the ICE last week, i got the liquid with the applicator and rag...

it does come to a good shine and finish, but its a major pita!!! its way too easy to put too much on, and if you do, it wont dry. its hard to tell where you have put it, cause it goes on like your just spreading a thin layer of motor oil on your car.

wiping it off, you basically have to wipe off the wax, then go back again and buff it all out with the rag...

so you have to cover every inch of the car 3 times...

put it on, wipe it off, then buff it to shine good.

it does look really good, but sometimes i would rather go with a traditional paste wax where you just put it on, then buff it off......

it was easy to use, just a lot more elbow grease involved...

it took me like an hour and a half to apply, then clean it all off and get the car looking good. and then the next day i could see where i didnt buff it good the third time around.

whatever you do, dont over apply it
Old 7/24/07, 02:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i cleaned and used rainex on all glass surfaces, it works amazing, i use it all the time.

Quick Reply: Used Turtle Wax Ice polish on the stang