Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Tire Splash on paint

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/05, 05:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK guys I just got my Torch red GT 12-28-04 and of course I love it and all I want to do is drive it. I have been working all through the holidays and I'm finally getting some time off so I'm looking at things I'll do to protect and preserve my new car first. First on my list as for most of us Fla folks is tint windows. Next Ill paint brake calipers. THe one problem Im looking for solutions from you all is wheel splash on paint.

The tires will splash anything they roll through up on the body, mainly the rear tires. Of course Ill be applying a polish to protect the paint and wash it regualrly, but I know if you get some road stuff like median paint or something plashed up on the paint , it can be near impossible to get off. Solutions anyone? IM thinking of getting some plain splash guards (Mud flaps) painting them red (touch up paint from dealership) to match the body and putting them on for now to protect the paint untill I get a body kit which will fit closer around the tires . I know it might sound crazy but I think I can make them look decent and not too conspicious. Unless anyone else has any better ideas? Im open for anything. I know it might not seam like much of a problem, but I wash my wifes car and I know the kind of stuff that splahes up on the fenders and most of it does not come off!!

THe attached pic shows the splash area ..
Old 1/2/05, 08:30 AM
GT Member

Not sure about your driving conditions there, but I wouldn't sweat it. This is my 6th new car I have owned and I have never had anything besides the standard road grit, tar etc.... get on those areas. Please don't put mud flaps on her, she looks awesome.
Old 1/2/05, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was thinking about flaps for controling our winter salt, but I'm not sure if it would help or hurt by giving salt a place to hide. Anyone have ideas for salt control.
Old 1/2/05, 11:15 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a good regular coat of wax in those areas any dirt that does hit that area comes off easily. No need for mudflaps IMO
Old 1/2/05, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was tempted to get the mudflaps for mine, but decided not to. I do get a lot of buildup on the fender behind the tire. I decided not to because it hurt the look of the car, even if i were to get painted ones. Also, I sometimes have to go small piles of snow, and dont want the snow building up between the flap and tire, id rather it build up behind the wheel well.
Old 1/2/05, 03:38 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want the "dealer option booklet" has the painted/molded in color mudflaps for your mustang .Here's a picture of one.
Old 1/2/05, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thats what i was considering getting, but it just detracts from the look of the car.
Old 1/3/05, 12:28 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Your right Jason it doe's take away from the look of the mustang ,but if I had to chose between stone chips and sand blasted off paint in the long run the mud flaps that are molded/painted in color are the next best thing I've seen .
I know it's not a great solution but the best one I could think of that would work and match's in with the car.
Old 1/3/05, 04:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I do respect your opinions as Im 49 and I know most of you are a lot younger and in tune with what looks good and what doesnt. I didnt know there was an accessory catalog for our new Mustang until I searched this sight.

Those factory mud flaps look nice in that they match the color but they are a lot bigger and stick out way more than I had in mind. I really wish I could find something like the small ones on the 350z' . They have a factory splash guard that matches the color and is very small and sublte and barley stick out at all. They are hard to even notice they blend in with the fenders just right.

I was thinking of geting some plain mud flaps, paitning them to match and putting them on
Old 1/3/05, 06:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you paint standard universal flaps there is a good chance they will flake. 3M makes a clear protection sheet that can fit to any application. You can't see it. Check with a local body shop, body shop supplier or detail shop.
Old 1/3/05, 08:47 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mudflaps on a mustang??? Come on guys....don't go redneckish on me now!
Old 1/3/05, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

There is a company (don't remember who) that makes clear stick-on guards for cars, protects from all the road grime, but won't make your car look terrible in the process.

That's what you need, I'll see if I can find out who makes them later..
Old 1/4/05, 11:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Black331@January 3, 2005, 10:17 AM
There is a company (don't remember who) that makes clear stick-on guards for cars, protects from all the road grime, but won't make your car look terrible in the process.

That's what you need, I'll see if I can find out who makes them later..
Yeah I already know about StonGard http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/default.asp And its the best product to protect your paint. I want it but they dont have it for the 05 yet, they have it for all years including the 04 Mach 1. I guess Ill have to get in touch with them and see when in the world they will have it for out 05s. In case you guys arnt familier with it you all need to go to their web site. When they come out with it for the 05 you all will deffinilelt want to get it installed.

I dont really want to put mud flaps on , I know it sounds red neck, Im just trying to figure out what I can do to protect the paint from the crud the tires pick up., until StonGard comes out with 05 product for us.I keep my cars pretty clean and waxed but I have seen crud slung on the fenders that wont ever come off, on my wifes car and other cars we have had.
Old 1/6/05, 03:14 PM
Cobra Member

look into someting called Rubber Gaurd I think.... I'd look for ya, but I gotta go. They use it for drag racing, because all of the melted rubber that splashes up behind the rear tires.... I think it's some sort of teflon coating that gives you a non-stick surface.... just don't use any metal utencils when your cookin' your eggs after you install it. (sorry, lame joke) But, that should protect from chips and tar and paint should wipe right off.
Old 1/7/05, 08:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

As far as splash guards go, I would recommend leaving them black and find some that match the body lines pretty closely. Those pictures of the ones on that Legend Lime green Mustang were awful - there is no way I would put anything like that on my car. Just leaving them black makes them hard to see so they don't detract from the lines of the car. I've got them on my '03 GT and no one notices them. I haven't used any of the clear type stick on ones but that is a good alternative as well.
Old 1/8/05, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 3, 2005, 9:50 AM
mudflaps on a mustang??? Come on guys....don't go redneckish on me now!
And springy little curb feelers