Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Tire Dressing Help

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/11 | 06:42 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Tire Dressing Help

So, I need some opinions from those that have used various products before I start buying things I don't like.

Here is the dilemma. Normally I'm not a fan of putting anything on my tires. I prefer the natural black look of a very clean tire (and I mean scrubbed, not some quick clean foam).

The problem is that I just bought a black car with dark colored wheels, and the tires are going to stick out like a sore thumb if they aren't pitch black as well. I've found that over the last few years, some part of the compound they are making tires out of keeps them from ever looking truly black like tires used to back in the day after a good cleaning.

So what I'm looking for is some product to keep them very black. I don't like the wet, shiny look. I want a black matte look, think black velvet.

Anybody know of a product that will produce these results?

Thanks.
Old 3/22/11 | 06:47 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

I have found that I am the same way and prefer no tire dressing, but it seems that lately tires end up looking brown. I have found Gels to work well, I put it on a brush and then apply. Let me go see what I have in the garage.
Old 3/22/11 | 07:11 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 07S197
I have found that I am the same way and prefer no tire dressing, but it seems that lately tires end up looking brown.
Same thing I'm running into, and that is not going to work on this color combo I've got now. I used to scrub them with some old school powder Comet and a stiff brush and they would look great. These tires now, nothing seems to work on them.
Old 3/22/11 | 07:15 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Ok so right now I'm using Eagle One No Drip Tire Shine Gel, but even this is a little much in the gloss area. I have also used and had good luck with Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance tire gel.The Eagle One stuff has a little less gloss and lasts quite a while, usually 3-4 washes. The nice thing about the gel's is that you don't get streaks or sling.

When I apply I put the gel on a soft bristle applicator brush that I found at a local auto part store and then use a terry towel to rub it into all of the groves and side wall pattern. This helps to clean off any excess and also evens out the shine and makes it a little less "wet" looking.
Old 3/22/11 | 07:16 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

I like Adams VRT.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-512-a...-dressing.aspx
Old 3/22/11 | 07:23 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Same thing I'm running into, and that is not going to work on this color combo I've got now. I used to scrub them with some old school powder Comet and a stiff brush and they would look great. These tires now, nothing seems to work on them.
drives me crazy. I just put new Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred's tires on the Altima and they have this special compound called permablack that stays black and wont turn brown. It's amazing stuff, I just wash the car and they come out looking true black, how tires should look. No dressing or anything, I love it.
Old 3/22/11 | 10:16 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Ok so right now I'm using Eagle One No Drip Tire Shine Gel, but even this is a little much in the gloss area. I have also used and had good luck with Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance tire gel.The Eagle One stuff has a little less gloss and lasts quite a while, usually 3-4 washes. The nice thing about the gel's is that you don't get streaks or sling.

When I apply I put the gel on a soft bristle applicator brush that I found at a local auto part store and then use a terry towel to rub it into all of the groves and side wall pattern. This helps to clean off any excess and also evens out the shine and makes it a little less "wet" looking.
I'll try the Eagle One first since you seem to think it has less gloss.

Originally Posted by NJ3
I might try it later on, but right now I'm going to experiment with stuff I can get locally (and isn't $30 a bottle by the time I get it here. I'm a cheap *** )

drives me crazy. I just put new Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred's tires on the Altima and they have this special compound called permablack that stays black and wont turn brown. It's amazing stuff, I just wash the car and they come out looking true black, how tires should look. No dressing or anything, I love it.
Too bad these Goodyears on mine don't have that.
Old 3/22/11 | 10:27 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I might try it later on, but right now I'm going to experiment with stuff I can get locally (and isn't $30 a bottle by the time I get it here. I'm a cheap *** )
No to boiled peanut goo!

Old 3/22/11 | 10:31 PM
Post *****

My tires like to dress in formal wear. I tend to start with the pants and then put on the jacket. You'd be surprised how hard it is to dress a tire. No arms and legs and such.
Old 3/23/11 | 05:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I usally use what ever is on sale.
Old 3/23/11 | 05:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Order the tire dressing from croftgate. I have found this works very well because it gives the tire that brand new look and you wont get any sling or anything and itll last for a decent while. It cleans up the rims too
Old 3/23/11 | 08:00 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

I use the spray on for my tires because i'm lazy and looks good enough to me. Years ago i got the best results by using ArmorAll "low shine". I would spray it (the low shine) on a microfiber cloth and wipe it on the tire.
Old 3/23/11 | 08:16 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by David Young
I use the spray on for my tires because i'm lazy and looks good enough to me. Years ago i got the best results by using ArmorAll "low shine". I would spray it (the low shine) on a microfiber cloth and wipe it on the tire.
I forgot about that product. I have also done that in the past. Used regular armorall thou and put that on a rag and then wiped it on. I might have to look for some of the low shine stuff and see how that works.
Old 3/23/11 | 09:27 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Man I say just get you a can or 2 of dull black spray paint and be done with it. It will last a long time AND it wont wash off at all.

Seriously tho I am more of a shiny tire guy. And what I use to shine them is either Armor All or brake fluid.
Old 3/23/11 | 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Meguiar's Hot Shine. Even though it says "High Gloss" on the can, it's not nearly as glossy as other sprays or gels. It lasts longer than most as well. The best part? It doesn't splatter onto the car body when driving after applying.

It works great on the black body cladding on the wife's Edge as well.
Old 3/23/11 | 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

Just throwing this out there. I was cleaning my redwall tires using an SOS pad. Not only did it get the redwalls red again, it got the tires black again. Perhaps this will work for you.

-danny
Old 3/23/11 | 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

I used to use Meguiar's Endurance Gel on my tires... small amount, and rub it all over the tire....

They have this stuff in an aerosol now... Doesn't sling either. =]
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G15415
Old 3/26/11 | 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I swear by this stuff. It's awesome and even though it says it has an extreme shine it's not that crazy. It's doesn't sling and it does last through the rain.
http://supershinedetail.com/lookswet.html
Old 3/26/11 | 10:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I use Black Magic Tire Wet at WalMart. I spray it on a sponge and apply. This is the result...

Old 3/26/11 | 11:04 PM
Post *****

My challenge is dust. I've got 1/4 mile to the highway. Meguiar's seemed like it attracted or held the dust.

Quick Reply: Tire Dressing Help