Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Rubbing Compound question

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/06, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbing Compound question

Ok, got a scratch in the clear on my car, so used some medium cut rubbing compound to get most of it out or make it not noticable. Even when waxed in the right light I can see that its kind of faded and not as shiny. What can I use or do to bring the full shine back to this small section. I did everything by hand so far, and didn't go that deep into the clear with the compound.

Thanks
Old 7/11/06, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dekujala
Ok, got a scratch in the clear on my car, so used some medium cut rubbing compound to get most of it out or make it not noticable. Even when waxed in the right light I can see that its kind of faded and not as shiny. What can I use or do to bring the full shine back to this small section. I did everything by hand so far, and didn't go that deep into the clear with the compound.

Thanks
Can you bring it back with a Clay Bar treatment?
Old 7/11/06, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

use very fine compound, then use pure polish.
Old 7/12/06, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
I agree with stangster. Sounds like you did part one one of a two-part process in this case. Your medium compound needs to be followed up with a very fine polish. It's the paint equivalent of gradually going to finer and finer sandpaper to get a great wood finish.
Old 7/13/06, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a fine cut rubbing compound, which I went over it after the medium a little bit, but no polish.
I picked up a cleaner and a polish yesterday and now that its finally not raining, probably going to give it a go this weekend.
Going to use the fine cut a little, then the cleaner then polish, then wax and hopefully that should do it for me.
Thanks for the info.
Old 7/14/06, 01:04 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now that you have done the fine polish, do you have any glaze? What you have experienced is normal when you use rubbing compounds by hand. Here is a little trick. Take your fine cut again, but this time use a damp sponge to apply it. While rubbing it into the area, keep misting the area with water (spray bottle works good). This will help keep the compound from being so aggressive. Once done, wash the area to get rid of any excess compound. Now use some glaze on that area and then wax.
Old 8/2/06, 04:24 PM
V6 Member

Use "3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze - Dark" That stuff is amazing. It's supposed to be used after a harsh rubbing compound to take away the swirl marks caused by that compound anyways. I recently had a section of my car repainted. The body shop left TONS of swirls/scratches after buffing the car. The 3M took ALL of it away. I pretty much went crazy trying at least 10 different products before going to the 3M. I put a medium size drop on a microfiber towel and rub firmly in a circular motion. Wax the car after that to take away any residue left over. My car is sonic blue by the way, which is real easy to see scratches.