Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Rail Dust, be gone!

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/13, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail Dust, be gone!

So you just finished washing your new Mustang and notice that you have embedded contaminants. You’re thinking, “My car is new! What’s this junk in my paint?!” If your car was transported by rail [as was mine], then you are the proud recipient of rail dust! Isn’t that great? As an added bonus, the Porters installing the swirl marks into your fresh new paint are going to apply a polymer sealant over it.

Well, you’re probably wondering how those nasty little iron particles worked their way into your paint, aren’t you?

*sitting you down on lap*

You see, when that Engineer driving the freight train your car was on looked up from texting long enough to see that stalled milk truck spanning the tracks 500 yards ahead, he stabbed the brakes and sent countless molten iron particles from the rail/wheels/brakes into the air, which settled onto your car and embedded into your clear coat. Normal driving alone is enough to cause these particles to become airborne.

If you find yourself in the majority of others, you’ll end up with a clay kit, but you’d be doing yourself a disservice. You will only shear the iron particles, leaving the buried bits in your clear coat. Your only choice is to chemically remove these contaminants.

After much research, I’ve settled on a product called Iron-x. This product reacts with the iron particles embossed in your paint and effectively dissolves them, leaving your paint undamaged. People are even using this to help remove brake dust – but beware! This will react with all iron, not just the bad stuff. This means you can’t go getting this on your unpainted brake calipers. That’s why I opted for the paste version. I control where it goes – not the wind.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-paste-500.html

Have fun with your car!
Old 3/2/13, 08:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
never heard of that stuff. look like it would do the trick though
Old 3/2/13, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Man I would reaally be ticked off, does the Iron x hurt the paint or clear in any way?
Old 3/2/13, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a black 2014. Just used it an hour ago. It only reacts with iron. I need to go and finish. Couple layers of sealant and wax left to apply.
Old 3/9/13, 06:01 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about IronX. I actually found out about this product 4 months ago while doing a Google search for clay bar products.
You just have to be careful and not leave it on too long.
Old 3/9/13, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

It's safe to let it dry on your car, actually. Just don't apply in the sun they say.