Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Question about tire dressings...

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/07, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about tire dressings...

I use the Black Magic to keep the tires black and classy looking. Question: do all these tire dressings reduce the life of the sidewall of a tire? I've never seen this mentioned, and I know this is suppose to "preserve" a tire, but does it, really?
Old 10/23/07, 03:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
If your side wall is dry rotting and/or cracking before the tread is gone you shouldn't be driving a Mustang
Old 10/23/07, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

There has been a bit of debate regarding if tire dressing harms tires. I had one set of tires on my 97 Ranger for nearly five years, and used dressing weekly with no problems. I replaced the tires because they finally wore out, not because of dressing related failure.
Old 10/24/07, 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Been using tire dressings from various brands for 11 years on every car i've owned. Never had a problem. Tread always wears out long before anything happens to the sidewalls.
Old 10/24/07, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt the dressings will cause a problem.
Old 10/24/07, 06:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I normally just stick with a light treatment of 303. Tire dressings attract too much dirt and turn the sidewalls brown.
Old 10/24/07, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tires are wear items, you wear them thin and they wear out. You dress them up and they look good when you go out. I use many as other have done and have to admit I have driven up over a curb or two and the dressing actually provided protection against the sidewall.
Old 10/26/07, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I stay away from tire dressings altogether as they add a "used car" look imo. For browning I use Westley's Bleach White. That said I will occassionally use 303 when dressing someone elses car.
Old 10/26/07, 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by citizen arcane
I stay away from tire dressings altogether as they add a "used car" look imo. For browning I use Westley's Bleach White.
DO NOT use that stuff on Aluminum Wheels it will stain the hell out of them.

Richard
Old 10/26/07, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Right, should have used that caveat. I just assume poeple would use tire cleaner on tires, wheel cleaner on wheels and don't brush their teeth with the toilet scrubber
Old 10/26/07, 07:12 PM
GT Member

I recommend pressure washing tires to keep them fresh looking.
Old 10/26/07, 08:45 PM
Cobra Member

Right, should have used that caveat. I just assume poeple would use tire cleaner on tires, wheel cleaner on wheels and don't brush their teeth with the toilet scrubber
I knew i should have been more specific. As some people are apparently thick. And smiley faces do not make up for smart *** comments. I understand people will not use this on the wheels themselves but you cannot even spray the tires with the Westley if you have aluminum wheels. It stains the wheels and it will mist and drip onto the wheels there is no way to avoid that.

Here is a very good wheel cleaner and tire cleaner all in one and it is very cheap. I buy it by the gallon as it cost about what two 16oz bottles of the store bought stuff costs and it can be diluted to make about 50
16 oz bottles. This stuff works great and take off all the tire dressings and leaves the tire looking brand new fresh rubber. You can then treat as desired with what ever tire dressing you choose.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Wheel_Ri..._p/cld_107.htm

Richard
Old 10/27/07, 02:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I use the Black Magic to keep the tires black and classy looking. Question: do all these tire dressings reduce the life of the sidewall of a tire? I've never seen this mentioned, and I know this is suppose to "preserve" a tire, but does it, really?
I've used many through the years and Black Magic is the best I've found so far. I use it after every wash and it lasts. I've never had an issue with any dressing affecting the tire.
Old 10/27/07, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
I knew i should have been more specific. As some people are apparently thick.
People will learn from experience that sprays and detailing don't mix. I never spray anything at it's intended target, as glass cleaners screw up dashes, dash protectants screw up windows and and uphostlery/carpet cleaners mess up everything if not applied to a cloth or sponge first then rubbed in.

Some are so thick that they need to be told that sleeping aids "may cause drowsiness" BTW my post is not meant to slam anyone, smileys and offhand comments are ways to add levity to these groups.
Old 10/27/07, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

BTW my post is not meant to slam anyone, smileys and offhand comments are ways to add levity to these groups.
Point taken

RIchard
Old 10/27/07, 10:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I've used Bleech white for 10+ years with aluminum wheels with no problems. I didnt obviously spray on the rims on purpose, but it does get on them. Wheel/tire always wet before I spray it, scrub it, rinse right away, no issues.
Old 10/28/07, 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
I've used Bleech white for 10+ years with aluminum wheels with no problems. I didnt obviously spray on the rims on purpose, but it does get on them. Wheel/tire always wet before I spray it, scrub it, rinse right away, no issues.
Glad to hear that but i can assure you it will stain polished aluminum wheels. Read the Warning Label on the bottle it even says so on it.
It will not effect chrome, painted or clear coated wheels.

Richard
Old 10/28/07, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I had used Tire Wet by Black Magic when I drove my 2000 Neon. Now I use Meguairs Hot Shine spray can. I do not have any complaints. I fully spray each tire and make sure it has the deep, gloss, wet look. If I am careful they I drive, which I normally always do, the dressing can last up to 2 weeks. Depends on weather conditions. Just remember, don't overspray too much on the tread of the tire. Very easy to lose control if you don't know what your doing.
Old 10/29/07, 03:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
All of the tire shine products at the store contain petroleum distillates or silicone.
Old 10/29/07, 03:34 PM
Cobra Member

And your point is?

Richard

Quick Reply: Question about tire dressings...