Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Professional Detailing...

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/07, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Professional Detailing...

On Sunday I'm getting my month old 08 GT/CS Vert professionally detailed.

It's getting cold here in NJ and I want to get my car ready for winter. I will be driving it on nice days or when absolutely necessary. I'm especially interested in getting my cloth top ready, as I read that if you keep the top up or down for extended periods of time, the fit will be affected.

Several friends of mine have used this company and highly recommend them. They come to your house, with everything including the water!

After speaking with the owner, Lou, a self proclaimed car buff himself, he told me the following:

A new car should be protected right away. Today's paint systems cure in 48 hours and can be treated with protectant right away. There are myth's that you shouldn't wax a new car, that's just not true today. I will first prep the car and then claybar the paint and apply a sealant. The product I use is a one step polish/sealant that has a very mild abrasive that will correct fine scratches and imperfections. This will be applied with a random orbital buffer on a low speed to ensure no burning or swirls. I will also treat the convt. top with a spray on protectant. This process will give you long lasting UV protection and produce a deep glossy shine, the car will look better than the day you picked it up.

I will post before and after pics..
Before I drove it off the dealer lot new...
and
After he finishes the service

Here's the website, he does not have any Mustang pics, (yet !) but a few nice shots...
http://www.buffautoappearance.com/

LJS
Old 11/13/07, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

So the detailer came to my house Sunday morning as scheduled...
(See pictures below & next post)
He arrived with a really nice truck, fully equipped with a generator, enough water to wash 6 cars, bins and bins of supplies, a canopy to keep the car in the shade should it be to sunny out and some sort of a setup to park your car on and suck up any water created from washing your vehicle, should you be in a place where you can't have runoff water, then he takes the used water with him! Really environmentally friendly. I asked what situation would require that, and he claims if he goes to a corporation and has to wash cars in a parking lot, or at a car show even.

Here's what was done:
1. He cleaned the wheels with a small soft brush and some cleaner.
(All the products he used were in generic spray bottles, as he buys in bulk, he showed me all the products original Gallon size containers, as I was curious to what he was using)

2. Washing my CS, he used a soft mop-like applicator and car wash soap. Then he dried the car with a chamois, I asked him about those california water bars, and he said not to use them as they can scratch the paint.

3. The interior, he removed and vacuuming the mats, he then used compressed air to loosen up any dirt under the seats while vacuuming. He then used the compressed air/vacuum method on the dash, air vents, gauges, seats and any dust prone areas. He also used a microfiber cloth and some cleaner on the interior. Then he cleaned the interior windows with a microfiber cloth and a mixture of vinegar and water, it was like the glass was invisible when it was done.

4. Then he clay-bar'd the car, I'd never seen clay bar, it basically looks like silly putty, and I saw it picking up all the little specs in the paint. The car is only a month old, it was like this when I picked it up new.

5. Prep — He then taped up all the moldings, stripes, windows, front and rear fascia.

6. RaggTopp treatment

7. Polishing the car with a random orbital buffer, with this stuff that smelled really good, like banana's.

8. Buffed it out with some microfiber cloth, by hand.

9. He removed the tape and started dressing the cars front and rear fascia, tires, and polishing the chrome exhaust tips.

10. He did some final buffing of the wheels, and then went over the whole car again, really checking to make sure everything was perfect. I thought I was ****, his truck was even immaculate.

When he was done I was blown away, the shine is unbelievable!
It was so clean I didn't want to drive it. I only wish I had a professional photographer with me to take pictures, and as an added bonus he gives you a complimentary buff kit that was packaged really nice with a premium microfiber and quick detail spray. It also had some clever copy writing on it & a $20 discount on a complete detail package.

I already know what I'm getting my car fanatic friends for Christmas, a gift certificate for this service.

Check out the pics during and after the service, I can only upload 5 at a time, so see the next post for the remaing pics. (I took a total of 68 pictures, but only posted 10)

If anyone is interested I can list the names of the products he uses.
Enjoy!
LJS

See next post for more pics...
Attached Thumbnails Professional Detailing...-taped.jpg   Professional Detailing...-polishing.jpg   Professional Detailing...-weights.jpg   Professional Detailing...-tips.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11/13/07, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

The rest of the pics...
Attached Thumbnails Professional Detailing...-fascia.jpg   Professional Detailing...-front.jpg   Professional Detailing...-rear.jpg   Professional Detailing...-sides.jpg   Professional Detailing...-wing.jpg  

Old 11/13/07, 11:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm impressed ! I will have my Vista Blue GT/CS a month on Dec. 1, I plan on having mine given the royal detail treatment. I'll have a few weeks to check with some detail shops and get some references. Too bad your detail man doesn't live in Maryland, I'd call him to make an appointment.
Old 11/14/07, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I was impressed as well, It was so clean I didn't want to drive it.
But I did!
Old 11/14/07, 11:07 AM
CAL
GT Member

I'm sold. I'm going for the clay bar before the next waxing! Never used before, so a little worried about scratching my car. Looking at yours, worth it to use one.....
Old 11/14/07, 11:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice and clean, I am going to this come winter once I am no longer driving it after the first snowfall in MO.
Old 11/14/07, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I had no idea how bad my brand new CS was until i saw for myself!
Here's the product the detailer uses:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=17

LJS
Old 11/21/07, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like he did a great job. One thing I don't understand is: Why did he polish your paint. That's usually done when it really needs it, as in old cars or when the paint has issues. Remember that everytime you polish your paint (clearcoat) you are actually removing a layer...a very thin layer, but nevertheless a layer. The clay bar is a big yes, and after that it should have been waxed...
Old 11/21/07, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

One more thing on polishing...did he actually polish your wheels? They are also clearcoated and you have to treat them like a painted surface. All they need is a little bit of soap and wax afterwards...

my two cents...
Old 11/21/07, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Wheels
He didn't polish the wheels, just cleaned them.

Paint
He used a one step polish/sealant with a very mild abrasive that corrects minor imperfections. He applied it with a random orbital buffer which will never harm the clearcoat even if you left it on the paint and walked away.

He DIDN'T polish the car with an aggressive polish.
He didn't use a high speed buffer.

The product he used is called "optimum poli-seal".
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-poli-seal.html

Hope this cleared it up for you.
LJS
Old 11/23/07, 05:43 PM

Nice write up and information. I went ahead and ordered the Optimum Poli Seal I was that impressed!! Curious to know how long it took him to do the whole job and might I ask what kind of price he charged you??

Thanks
Old 11/25/07, 09:46 AM

Larry,
Nice write up and pictures. The cars looks awesome. I have a question about the number of weights on one of your wheels, is that normal? I'm getting ready to order a new GT/CS Vista Blue Conv any day now. Thanks for the info and love that white CS, it's beautiful.
Old 11/25/07, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I was surprised by the number of weights on the wheels as well, but that's how it shipped from the factory. I thought it looked kind of cool, that's why I took the close-up shot.
LJS
Old 11/25/07, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by CAL
I'm sold. I'm going for the clay bar before the next waxing! Never used before, so a little worried about scratching my car. Looking at yours, worth it to use one.....
The key to claybar is keeping it wet and lubricated. I just got a Complete Zaino Show Car kit and followed the instructions to a T.. My Black CS never looked this good. Of course it took me all day, but the results were stella..

Craig
Old 11/25/07, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by MR-STANG
I was surprised by the number of weights on the wheels as well, but that's how it shipped from the factory. I thought it looked kind of cool, that's why I took the close-up shot.
LJS

I have the same, probably due to the TPS units strapped to the inside of the wheel.
I just put new wheels on mine and the kid wanted to know if I wanted the TPS units transferred or not.. I had no idea what he was talking about hahaha but I had them put on the new wheels to keep the low tire light from being on.
Old 11/25/07, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I think Racer38 has got it -- every one I've seen has a big string of weights on one part of the wheel -- the wheels ought not be that out of balance from the factory.
Old 11/25/07, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Mr. Stang -- based upon your experience as posted here -- I bought the complete zaino kit as well -- you ought to tell them that you're due marketing money from them. You've gotten the word out!
Old 11/26/07, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Viper98
Nice write up and information. I went ahead and ordered the Optimum Poli Seal I was that impressed!! Curious to know how long it took him to do the whole job and might I ask what kind of price he charged you??

Thanks
The detailer worked on the vehicle about 3-4 hours. I could tell it was a real labor of love for him, I honestly could not have done a better job myself.
I went with his mini service, the cost was $165
LJS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
minipkg.pdf (36.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 11/26/07, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MR-STANG
Wheels
He didn't polish the wheels, just cleaned them.

Paint
He used a one step polish/sealant with a very mild abrasive that corrects minor imperfections. He applied it with a random orbital buffer which will never harm the clearcoat even if you left it on the paint and walked away.

He DIDN'T polish the car with an aggressive polish.
He didn't use a high speed buffer.

The product he used is called "optimum poli-seal".
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-poli-seal.html

Hope this cleared it up for you.
LJS
Sounds like good stuff. I just don't like the polish part of it unless it really needs it. My CS is a little over a year old and with a simple wash and wax it looks brand new...I use the clay everynow and then. I used to be in the bodyshop business many, many years ago and the only time I would polish paint was to get rid of some of the orange peel, or scratches on the clear coat. Being that the CS's are pretty new I do not recommend using any type of polish on your clear coat. I used to spray two or three good coats on my cars...I bet that Ford sprays a thin clearcoat. You can tell by looking at older cars especially on the roof. Remember, the key here is "abrasive".

Quick Reply: Professional Detailing...